Ignition Fault

BantamLuke

Hi guys,

Purchased my t6 last week from auctions and since then i’ve been having trouble with the ignition.

It doesn’t happen every time but occasionally it will not let me turn the key to the final start position, I’ve tried with the spare key and get the same result.

I have since purchased a replacement ignition barrel from a breakers on eBay.

It comes as full unit, already in the housing with 2 spare keys.

Am I right in thinking I just need to take the key steel from the new locks and put it into my existing key which has the immobiliser chip in it?

Cheers

Yes, if you swap the barrel you need to swap the metal key blades to your existing remotes.

You will end up with 2 different keys as the new key wont fit the door locks. . . . .

Yes, if you swap the barrel you need to swap the metal key blades to your existing remotes.

You will end up with 2 different keys as the new key wont fit the door locks. . . . .
The door locks were included from the breaker so shouldn’t be too big of a problem.

So I don’t need to be worried about the immobiliser receiver on the new barrel I am putting in? Thanks for the reply

No, the receiver antenna ring is not part of the barrel afaik.

The ring is generic it only reads the signal and sends the info on to the cluster/immo so either will be fine

I had a similar problem with my old 5.1 Caravelle. The dealer lubricated the barrel (no idea what with I'm afraid) and it was fine for the next 3 years until I sold it.
Not sure if you could spray silicone or something similar on the key or into the barrel?

I had a similar problem with my old 5.1 Caravelle. The dealer lubricated the barrel (no idea what with I'm afraid) and it was fine for the next 3 years until I sold it.
Not sure if you could spray silicone or something similar on the key or into the barrel?
I've been advised by a few people on the FB forum that it could be the electrical switch, the problem seemed more mechanical as if something was jamming the movement, i'll give that a go then try some silicone spray before replacing the entire barrel, cheers

Back