Ideas For External 230v Socket + 12v?

scotia

Mechanical engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
We need to be able to move the fridge out the van - currently in a rear drawer style thingy - when camping for long stays - reduces the opening of the boot etc.. just easier.

i was thinking to use a similar style clapet style that we have for our thule bike rack.. but not sure if one exists with a standard 230v socket in?

Or, can we use a household exterior housing style?

For the placement, i was thinking at the rear - easiest access and less disturbubing other things for services etc..

I have a splitter that plugs into the EHU inlet that gives us external 240v sockets. I also have an external waterproof 12v socket under the van by the side door. We have a National Luna fridge/freezer that we use on long trips as you do. This is in addition to the van fridge.

hi salty, thats great - can you show me a pic of the adapter? might be just the trick - our hookup is under the bonnet so dry..

for the 12v, would be very interested to see a pic.. and a link to the socket if you have? im not trusting some of these ones i see.. maybe a marine one would be ok but..?

thnaks in advance!

If you have a 13 pin towing socket, theres a permanent 12v live there... I use mine for all sorts of external stuff :)
Note that with the standard harness its fed from the starter battery rather than your leisure battery, but for light loads its fine, awning led lights etc. (ie no 3kw inverters & coffee machines ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
hi salty, thats great - can you show me a pic of the adapter? might be just the trick - our hookup is under the bonnet so dry..

for the 12v, would be very interested to see a pic.. and a link to the socket if you have? im not trusting some of these ones i see.. maybe a marine one would be ok but..?

thnaks in advance!
This is the 12v socket I used. It's fitted into the plastic undertray by the side door.
BST 26 - Waterproof DIN flush-mounted standard socket

IMG_3302.JPG

But wouldn’t that draw from engine battery on a standard setup ?
Indeedy, but for awning LEDs etc its fine, I use it to charge my model plane LiPos too, but you wouldnt plug your 3kw inverter and coffee machine in there...
grin.gif

This is my 240v splitter. It's dual purpose, it gives you an external socket at the van end, or if there aren't any spare hookups on the campsite, it allows you to share a socket at the hookup end.

IMG_3336.JPG

ah ok yeah thats what i suddenly thought after i saw your post Phil_G. thanks tho.

ok SS thats great for the 12v. the 230v i'll need to think as i need it to pass through the vans fuse box first for safety..

This is my 240v splitter.
Good idea.
For safety though, sorry I have to say that I'm not keen on the metal plumbing compression 'T' - I would have simply terminated both socket leads in the plug.
You cant see whats happening inside that metal T after someone trips over the EHU and a ripped-out live could touch the metal... :)

Good idea.
For safety though, sorry I have to say that I'm not keen on the metal plumbing compression 'T' - I would have simply terminated both socket leads in the plug.
You cant see whats happening inside that metal T after someone trips over the EHU and a ripped-out live could touch the metal... :)
It isn't a plumbing fixing, it's an IP68 electrical connection specifically designed for the job. About £7 from screwfix. Terminating both leads in the plug would prevent the compression gland from sealing, compression fittings are designed for one cable only, generally.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/teetube-ip68-3-pole-t-splitter/52526

ah ok yeah thats what i suddenly thought after i saw your post Phil_G. thanks tho.

ok SS thats great for the 12v. the 230v i'll need to think as i need it to pass through the vans fuse box first for safety..
Protection is provided by the RCD in the supply hookup. The cables are also protected by the EHU supply breaker which will be 6 or 16A. I plug a fused 4 way extension lead into the spare socket for use in the awning. You could use a tent hookup with an RCD if you wanted belt & braces.

Going with the 12v exterior socket shown above..now just got to route the cables from the back to where they will drop out from inside... I was guessing to follow the wiring routing for the towball?

Back