I want my T5 back - update

rmo69

T32 204 Kombi LWB
T6 Pro
So I promised an update regarding my previous post which detailed my woes with my T32 EURO VI

Since that post:

• DPF warning light has come on a further three times.
  • The engine management light has come on today for the third time.
  • AdBlue injector and control unit both replaced
  • MPG fluctuates wildly - last night I drove from Lincoln to Derby (about 45 miles) it used nearly half a tank!
  • Stop/Start function failed at traffic lights on dual carriage way - took me ten minutes to get it started
From start to finish it's been the most horrendous experience with VW flatly denying that there's any kind of fundamental on going problem............until today

They have acknowledged that it needs returning to VW because they can't fix it, and are going to replace it.

Only took three and a half months to make their sweet minds up, when I told them it was wrong from day one!

@rmo69 , look on the bright side, ask for a loaner whilst your new one is built, and up spec it f.o.c! oh, and extended warranty etc on new one f.o.c as standard!

@rmo69 it sounds as though everything that could go wrong has done so :cry:. I hope that VW are going to compensate you for all the trouble that you have had and also ensure that any upgrades that you made after taking delivery are either incorporated or you are refunded for the original cost (find all the bills). You also have out of pocket expense for extra fuel used because of the fault(s). I would insist on a free upgrade to LED Headlights if you didn't have them originally. You are in a strong position to negotiate the outcome :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::whistle::whistle:

BTW, the loaner should not be a base vehicle, but above yours... Have led lights etc etc, if given a base one, moan like crap, as its adding insult to injury.. Add yep, DEMAND the LED light package on the new one f.o.c, but remember, financial compensation, as it will be under the new tax regime, so work out what that means to you as well!

Thanks for the replies folks - will see what they come up with. TBH my van was armed to the teeth LEDs, Leather, Satnav, heated seats, DSG. Other than a van that works and doesn't bankrupt me running it I will be happy with the same spec. That said I've told them I don't want DSG because mine was constantly getting stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear when driving downhill. I know it's probably the exception - but once bitten and all that.

I'll keep you posted as and when...

If you push hard enough they can and will prioritise the order and get it here in around a month and a half.

Last edited:
So I promised an update regarding my previous post which detailed my woes with my T32 EURO VI

Since that post:

• DPF warning light has come on a further three times.
  • The engine management light has come on today for the third time.
  • AdBlue injector and control unit both replaced
  • MPG fluctuates wildly - last night I drove from Lincoln to Derby (about 45 miles) it used nearly half a tank!
  • Stop/Start function failed at traffic lights on dual carriage way - took me ten minutes to get it started
From start to finish it's been the most horrendous experience with VW flatly denying that there's any kind of fundamental on going problem............until today

They have acknowledged that it needs returning to VW because they can't fix it, and are going to replace it.

Only took three and a half months to make their sweet minds up, when I told them it was wrong from day one!
I feel your pain pal. I've had six Engine Management lights all to do with the AdBlue System. its been towed away to dealers twice and I've had the Injector replaced and only last week had the NOx Sensor replaced. I hope this is the end of it but I'm not counting my chickens and fully expect it to return any time.
My MPG is also very poor considering the type of roads and speeds I drive.
VW and the Finance Company are giving me £350 compensation which is about 1.5 times my monthly payment.
It really has taken the joy out of owning my first VW T van.
Hopefully they will sort you out in a way that your happy.

@Twoguns since I posted this I've had a chat with a mate of mine who's a senior engineer at Bentley (VW Group). They do an oil burner now on that horrible SUV, and apparently there is a lot of talk about 'dirty' engines, where a particular engine just is not burning the fuel cleanly and overwhelming the exhaust system which in turn leads to poor and erratic MPG and associated warning lights etc. It might be only the odd one, but I think they've got problems with some of these Euro VI engines. Just hoping the replacement they give me is better than the nasty box of nuts and bolts that I've just handed back.

Hope you get it sorted - if not chuck the book at them.

@Twoguns since I posted this I've had a chat with a mate of mine who's a senior engineer at Bentley (VW Group). They do an oil burner now on that horrible SUV, and apparently there is a lot of talk about 'dirty' engines, where a particular engine just is not burning the fuel cleanly and overwhelming the exhaust system which in turn leads to poor and erratic MPG and associated warning lights etc. It might be only the odd one, but I think they've got problems with some of these Euro VI engines. Just hoping the replacement they give me is better than the nasty box of nuts and bolts that I've just handed back.

Thanks for the info @rmo69 ill remember this just in case it continues. Although they will just continue to deney it until they have no other option than to replace the van. They will never admit to a big problem like what you have described.

@rmo69 had you modified your van in anyway? If so, will VW compensate you for it? As my problem is still there and I fully expect to be going down the same route as you.

Had a meeting with them yesterday - They will transfer my wheels and Kenwood satnav to new van. Unfortunately because it's a business van I will have to take a hit on the VAT when they take my old van back. They lent me a highline 204 kombi for the last few days - did Derby to Manchester and back on just over a quarter of a tank. I mentioned that this was far better than my 150 to them and they offered to replace my van like for like or I can pay £250 to upgrade to 204 - genuinely don't know what to do!

@rmo69 , my opinion... Tell them to stuff the £250, as they are being cheeky as you have a VAT hit, extra fuel expenditure etc etc

@rmo69 , my opinion... Tell them to stuff the £250, as they are being cheeky as you have a VAT hit, extra fuel expenditure etc etc

I absolutely take your point @T6 Dave, but what if the 204 is the better engine all round? From what I've seen, people with engine/exhaust problems by and large have the 150. My quandary is if I reorder the 150 do I run the risk of jumping out the frying pan into the fire, and if I reject the offer on the 204 am I chucking the baby out with bathwater just on a principle? Or if I reorder the 150 is lightening really going to strike twice? I'm stumped and I've run out of cliches!

@rmo69 a conundrum if ever there was. My opinion - you've tried both the 150 and 204 and fallen out of love and faith with one and are considering the other. Like @T6 Dave first tell them NO to £250 but yes to upgrade to the 204, and ask them to take the VAT hit as a goodwill gesture. I hope that the replacement has similar, or better, spec and available. Will it be new or ex-demonstrater? Good luck, hope this helps.

@rmo69 a conundrum if ever there was. My opinion - you've tried both the 150 and 204 and fallen out of love and faith with one and are considering the other. Like @T6 Dave first tell them NO to £250 but yes to upgrade to the 204, and ask them to take the VAT hit as a goodwill gesture. I hope that the replacement has similar, or better, spec and available. Will it be new or ex-demonstrater? Good luck, hope this helps.

@T6 Dave's Dad Trust me I was in just over an hour negotiating - Between VW and the dealership I've got them to stand £8000, being the difference between the settlement on mine and the price of a new one. They initially wanted a £2000 depreciation contribution from me - I told them to forget it and they didn't put up much of a fight.

VW won't allow a rejected vehicle to be replaced with something that is already in stock, registered or otherwise. The VAT is the VAT, and being a company vehicle I have to stand the VAT on mine, but I claim it all back on the new one.

If I had the time I would push harder, but I think I have come out OK - and I wouldn't have got the 204 version of mine for an extra £250 and the prices have gone up as well. I think I'm leaning toward the 204.

@rmo69. Seems to me that you have done as well as you possibly could :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I suppose that at least you can offset the additional replacement costs against tax :rolleyes:. From what you have written, I would go for the 204 (Highline?) and as I presume there will be a wait I hope that you get the continued use of the 204 loaner. I trust that you will be able to put this sorry episode behind you soon. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Please keep us informed as we are right behind you. :):)

Had a meeting with them yesterday - They will transfer my wheels and Kenwood satnav to new van. Unfortunately because it's a business van I will have to take a hit on the VAT when they take my old van back. They lent me a highline 204 kombi for the last few days - did Derby to Manchester and back on just over a quarter of a tank. I mentioned that this was far better than my 150 to them and they offered to replace my van like for like or I can pay £250 to upgrade to 204 - genuinely don't know what to do!
My problem is that I have a full top spec day van conversion that has everything and has cost me not far off £10k.
I'm a private buyer so I better not lose the value of Vat. Really worried I could be thousands of pounds out of pocket as the finance guy said that if the van had to be rejected technically they only have to cover the cost of the van as it should be returned in the same state as it was new. He did say however if it did came to having to return it that he was sure we could work something out.
Time will tell.

Back