In my experience (and I am still awaiting delivery of my T6 so have no direct experience of the sound quality) loudspeakers tend to be very cheaply made components in cars. I'm generalising of course but even my BMW benefitted hugely from a simple change of loudspeaker. The build quality alone of what went in was massively higher compared to what came out.

I got to be honest, now that I've actual had the van - the OEM sound is greatly improved from the T5

I am running the Discover stock system at the minute and it has a good sound and bass level even at high volume

I've heard great comments from the ICE experts around the forums when fitting 8" speakers to the doors and upgrading the tweeters to the factory head unit so thats the way i'l go and we'l see :thumbsup:

I've upgraded from the standard speakers to 20cm Blams with associated tweeters in the front and the difference is considerable. I think I've taken my system as far as it'll go without some serious investment in amps, subs and head units. I'm very happy with the soundstage that @slidepods have achieved. I'll be leaving it alone now otherwise I'll be going prematurely deaf!

Is there a general consensus on whether it is worth just replacing the original speakers with something better that will just slot in or would any gain in quality not be worth the cost?

I had an underseat subwoofer installed which made a big difference, but as I am about to get the door panels off to do some sound deadening it would be easy to do speakers as well. I am not confident enough to start putting new amps and stuff in so they would have to rely on the power from the Discover head unit. The people who did my subwoofer said that new speakers would not make any difference without installing a new power amp as well

8" Rainbows with tweeters in the front, with Pioneers in the rear roof panel, plus lots of sound deadening in the rear, doors and roof. Definitely an improvement in quality and overall 'fill' :) Is it worth it? Ah, that depends! For me, I'm happy :)

If you are replacing door speakers then you will want to replace the tweeters as well, so will need to wire in crossovers.

What do you recommend for rear speakers to fit on the ply panels ? was thinking Pioneer or similar.

You don't need to go mad on rear speakers, as you don't want to distract the sound in the front, we install Pioneer coax in the rears its of the time

A question on the same theme. What do people use as a spacer in the front door cards when upgrading the door speaker.
I used a plastic one in my current van but have also seen MDF versions. My concern, even if moisture resistant MDF used, is any moisture running into this cavity.
Also what diameter of speaker are people upgrading to? I think I managed a larger than factory fit diameter.

Found some pictures of my T5.1 install with Rainbow speakers. I put the tweeters in the door card because they looked very factory fit and I was keen to keep them away from the windscreen due to reflection. I'm not an audio expert but the sound is very good with this set up. I think the woofers are 8"

1186270_321318468014132_1251359050_n.jpg

1240544_323185364494109_384440408_n.jpg

This picture shows a comparison between the OEM speaker and Rainbow woofer:
1175752_321317938014185_1163238861_n.jpg

578979_349840005161978_1115833288_n.jpg

We use Rainbow a lot, the kit you have is very nice sounding with great depth.

I do advise you to sound deaden the skin the speaker sits on a bit more and the door plastic

We also use MDF, which are sealed, and even when I have had T5s back in after 4 plus years they are still in perfect condition, but we do create a water splash guard behind the speaker to stop this from happening and for the water to attack the wiring and speaker terminals

hi all,
Just fitted the pioneer f88dab stereo, noticed instantly that the sound quality was much better....but still a bit poo! My other car has a 1200w bowers and Wilkins system so I have been spoilt!

I would like to replace the door speakers, install some rear speakers, replace tweeters and install a sub.

Any recommendations for the 6 speakers and sub? Looking ideally for something that will slot straight in. Is replacing wires essential?

Finally can the head unit poet all of this or will it need an amp?
Maybe a case for @Absolut5 .....

IMG_1649.JPG Our very popular Signature Audio setup will improve your vehicle greatly... it consists of the following

Hertz Mille pro front speakers
JL Audio 10w1 sub in our custom underseat enclosure
JL XD500/3 amp to drive the Hertz and sub

Then fitting accessories, Dynamat for the front doors, wooden door collars, cables etc

And add a set of rear coax 2 way Pioneers in the rear for a little ambience...

We can supply this as a kit with every cable and terminals etc or can be installed for you..

I can almost smell the cost, the shopping list stinks of quality and cost! What's would the kit cost?

hello all

Does anyone do an off the shelf kit for upgrading the speakers in a t6? Do you have to remove the complete door card to swap them?
Any suggestions?
Cheers

Hi All,

I'm looking to add some speakers to the rear of my Kombi van. I currently have the Discovery Head set (The one with twin SD card slots) and happy with it so just want to add 4 more speaker, 2 one on each sliding door and 2 in the rear doors or roof lining. I'm assuming this can be done?
I hear great reports about @Absolut5 but they are just to far away from me.
Can anyone recommend somewhere closer to me. I'm based in Shrewsbury.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

don't like to ask but its better than asking the wife lol

I am stuck on an oil rig and planning my ICE. I don't want to give the game away by asked her at home but I am wondering if I can fit a Sub box under the 2+1 seat.

The larger space in the middle is used when we are camping so I identified the space between the seat and the wall under the window as a possible.

I would have my amp behind the panel with a quick disconnect (speakon) to remove the sub to turn it into a van.

What I need is the rectangular dimensions of what will fit between the seat structure and the side without sticking out at the front.

I've attached a pic of the space I mean, obviously the box would have to either be there before the seat is in situ or slide in from the front.

If a couple of people can measure to see if there are any differences between vans or measuring techniques I'd appreciate it as I will likely order something BEFORE I go home

Cheers guys

I actually got my tape measure out earlier and took some measurements then came back in and loaded the thread to notice you have a 2+1 and mine is a triple bench :(

Back