I’m Thinking Of Converting A Crafter

My daughter is looking to convert a 2013 Sprinter, lots of advice on here is highly pertinent and informative. Has anyone found a half decent crafter/sprinter forum? Ta.

Nice find old rat, it’ll look good with a half wrap on the lower body.

Looking forwards to seeing the fit out.

I’ve spent the last three days at dealerships looking at sprinters and crafters, at this point in time, the 4X4 sprinter is looking like the best option for me.

can’t wait to see your build :)

I’ve not found aCrafter/Sprinter forum anywhere as good as this one (more of a niche market I suppose) but there’s an active FB group “self build Campervans” and VW Crafter and MAN TGE 2017> selfbuild and some informative US sites about.

however the most valuable resource was you tube and in particular a whole series of vids on his sprinter conversion by a guy called Greg Virgoe
Mercedes Sprinter Conversion - FULL BUILD SERIES - YouTube

Which is well worth subscribing to as he’s meticulous in his reporting and very fastidious with his build

I’ve not found aCrafter/Sprinter forum anywhere as good as this one (more of a niche market I suppose) but there’s an active FB group “self build Campervans” and VW Crafter and MAN TGE 2017> selfbuild and some informative US sites about.

however the most valuable resource was you tube and in particular a whole series of vids on his sprinter conversion by a guy called Greg Virgoe
Mercedes Sprinter Conversion - FULL BUILD SERIES - YouTube

Which is well worth subscribing to as he’s meticulous in his reporting and very fastidious with his build
Also check out Nate Murphy on you tube he does some good lower cost conversions

Could you let use know what mileage you are getting with the new Crafter after you have done a few km

It’ll be interesting to see what you are getting

Hi Bryn,
Will do but it might be a while..:whistle:

The van is being professionally converted by Rhales and is currently stored with them.
I won’t be picking it up until Feb’ish - I’ve told them that I’m in no hurry as we’ll put our T6 on the market in the Spring rather than in Winter.

How’s your van, been using it much? :thumbsup:

Hi Bryn,
Will do but it might be a while..:whistle:

The van is being professionally converted by Rhales and is currently stored with them.
I won’t be picking it up until Feb’ish - I’ve told them that I’m in no hurry as we’ll put our T6 on the market in the Spring rather than in Winter.

How’s your van, been using it much? :thumbsup:

at least you have the van and there is a plan.

The van has been getting some use, we have clocked over almost 20,000km in the last 3 months travelling around Australia, still got another 6000-8000 km before we get home for Xmas.

Look forward to seeing some "during" conversion pics.
We had a good look at various Crafter conversion whilst at the NEC in Oct.
Lots of decisions etc - look forward to hearing your experience

I was holding out for an Indium grey or even a black van. I rarely buy new and prefer demonstrators. For the last three months there have been nil about in the spec that I wanted.

As a result I bought a white LWB trendline with aircon and a superhigh roof- these roofs are as rare a rocking horse poop and it was a bargain too- (the dealership was closing).

The layout is marked out roughly below.
Two longitudinal beds one over each wheel arch which pull out into a huge double.

shower, loo, ridge and storage behind the driver, and kitchen pod beside the slider

Anyway, some pre conversion pics2483BBD6-229C-476A-8580-92214B2BC5FD.png17D87417-7986-41FD-8BC3-1C2E0F8EA25A.jpeg

C68BB139-64C8-4258-93BC-760CAABB29FA.jpeg

Just need to get ‘er indoors permission for some blingy wheels to finish it off.

So the crafter build is well underway.
I’d really have enjoyed doing the conversion myself, but that would take forever and I’m a bit of a ‘lecky numpty’ so..

After careful research, I plumbed for Rhales to do the conversion.
Richard, the owner, learnt his trade as a joiner with Fairline ultra luxury yachts, hence not a piece of knock on edging to be seen anywhere.
The looms have been made and installed, the insulation and vapour barrier is in place and today, the windows were cut out.
Here are some pics and a couple of layout drawings

6BF50F05-BD8B-4A85-B443-F4E0831DF332.jpeg

DC3167EC-42DB-4980-8608-1CA3A7CAD7BE.png

ED0235FD-565D-4BC2-99DE-6E511AAB3AE8.png

EB88ABE7-C819-47E8-AB37-E496605E4440.png

196FF82F-AF28-4D7E-B73A-438A3A118559.png

9D20E73F-A51D-4746-95F1-37A98F9A6F2C.png

2EF4E2F2-4588-4045-8047-7293DAE9C830.png

7D2A4E5E-99AA-4DBD-B8F9-D6F46A8A5176.jpeg

64424EBB-BCAA-4A0D-A548-AD600128C0CB.jpeg

We could have bought an already converted Racevan, there are several around but with a large garage there is very little ‘living space’ in these vans.

As I only occasionally want to carry a motorcycle inside, my solution is two longditudonal beds, one over each wheel arch. They can pull together to form a huge double or the passenger side bed, which is modular, can be removed and the space used for a motorcycle- the floor and walls will have Unwin rails for strapping the bike down.

Last edited:
Oh ratty. Great to see a spot for watching you build your new van (well, get it converted anyways). Can't wait to see how it looks, the floorplan sounds brilliant.
:D

Sadly we have spent a small fortune getting our van perfect or we would certainly be eyeing your van up. It's gorgeous.
:)

Thanks UF
Greg and I have been chatting for some time, he does some great vids and has some cracking ideas.

Eg I’ve copied his drinking water tap idea (£13) which is very cool

So, for anyone looking at a build, his series of vids are very rewarding. He shows everything warts and all, and as his day job is all about air quality in buildings , he gives the tech reasons why you should consider things like a vapour barrier etc.

Thanks UF
Greg and I have been chatting for some time, he does some great vids and has some cracking ideas.

Eg I’ve copied his drinking water tap idea (£13) which is very cool

So, for anyone looking at a build, his series of vids are very rewarding. He shows everything warts and all, and as his day job is all about air quality in buildings , he gives the tech reasons why you should consider things like a vapour barrier etc.
After seeing a few Sprints / Crafter conversions, i wish I had gone down that route now but we have what we have so I will enjoy the T6 for the time being. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Back