HPFP Failed. VW Want Nearly £6k

RattyMcClelland

Chipsaway - South Nottingham
T6 Legend
3 weeks ago my van failed to start.
Vw assist came out, diagnosed and no fuel pressure at the injectors or high pressure fuel pump.
I know the hp fuel pump failed and they are the single most unreliable thing in today's cars.

Transported to vw in Notts. It took them 3 weeks to get a fuel sample..wtf. good job I'm part of a franchise and I was able to get a spare van.

Anyway they won't repaire under warranty because it's remapped. Fair enough. Not arguing that.

But £5678.21 to repair is bend over and accept rape material. Vw want to replace the entire fuel system.

No thanks.

Getting it transported to my local.

Who else has had the HPFP fail?

That's shocking! Would they want to replace the whole fuel system if it was warranty work, I doubt it.

Hope you get it sorted quickly and for substantially less than that!

eek!
I think that it is a known given that if they fail then there are metal fragments going around the system and a new pump would prematurely fail again if not totally renewed..
That doesn't put much faith in their fuel filter does it?

Ouch.

The whole fuel system will need to be flushed.

And new pump and filters at a minimum.

But be cautious as the injectors may need replacing if they have been damaged by the contaminated fuel and microscopic metal swarf from the failed pump.

So it may mean.

Total flush.

New pump and filters.

Recon/repair or new injectors.

Had exactly same issue on a Ford 2.0l TDCI..... ended up with flush, new filters, reckon pump, recon injector set.... not VW I know. But diesels all work the same right.

Out of interest, what remap did you have? Do You thing it may have been a possible contributing factor? Higher rail pressure etc?

Last edited:
Did they give a breakdown of that cost - what is parts, what is labour and is it inc VAT ?

Pete

Got a full breakdown and does include VAT.
It's a full system replace. The Bosch fuel pump got superseeded with a replacement as they gain play and rub the eccentric shaft eventually failing. So I know it's not the remap.
The HPFP are around £1k to bit outright.

It will get replaced, full system flush, new followers and injectors out and flushed.
Done. Much cheaper. It's getting transported to my local trusted garage as we speak.

I'm more annoyed that's it's taken them 3 weeks to tell me all this.
It's going to cost me close to £800 in spare van hire, transporting and collecting etc before I even get a repair bill.

It's a pendle remap. I trust it. Ran 40k on this map.

I'm sure I read a while ago you were having other issues with your T6? I think it was something to do with going into limp mode, or constant re-gen.
Is this related?
Out of interest, what fuel are you using?

So I got the van back yesterday.

So 3 weeks just for vw to take a fuel sample and tell me it's not a warrenty repair and that I should bend over and pay 6k.

Then took a 5 days to get Harry doleman cars to transport it to my chosen garage. They messed me around everyday saying they will pick it up today etc etc.
Never again. They are a vw recovery chosen company.

Then at my brother in laws garage for only 3 days and fully fixed. Including 2 days waiting for parts, amazing. Next time in taking it there no matter if it's warrenty or not.

The waiting on VW cost me £1k in spare van, collection, loss of earnings etc etc before any repairs.

So it turns out the HPFP has been changed to a more reliable model and the one in my van is prone to failure.
Whilst we were there, we changed the water pump and timing belt despite only 40k miles, made sense to do so. Fully flushed the fuel system and injectors. Was £1.8k for the work. £1080 was the fuel pump cost alone.

Its early days but the van feels so peppy and I swear I'm getting t5.1 fuel economy. 33mpg on my dash mfd2. It's never really seen anything above 30mpg before after 100 or so miles. We will see.

When did vans with the more reliable HPFP come out? I’m wondering whether I’ve got one or not...

Glad to see your back on the road.

Job well done...... so the injectors were ok?

Being a small business like you, I feel for you.
The loss of time alone is bad enough, but a chunk of money like that out your account hurts, and hurts more when it's totally unnecessary and unexpected.

I hope this is the last big spend you have to make in a long time.

I get lost about who did/said what in the various posts but I'm sure @RattyMcClelland had a warranty repair previously after declaring a remap (was that the DPF pressure sensor?) Anyway, to the point, I'm also fairly sure that your van had been regenerating continuously over a long time period prior to having the sensor replaced. The constant regen process won't have helped the HPFP as it has to deliver more fuel and could be a major contributor to the early failure. VW Notts has dodged a bullet here due to the remap excuse.

The fuel sample is looking for traces of petrol. That's the biggest destroyer of HPFPs!

3 weeks ago my van failed to start.
Vw assist came out, diagnosed and no fuel pressure at the injectors or high pressure fuel pump.
I know the hp fuel pump failed and they are the single most unreliable thing in today's cars.

Transported to vw in Notts. It took them 3 weeks to get a fuel sample..wtf. good job I'm part of a franchise and I was able to get a spare van.

Anyway they won't repaire under warranty because it's remapped. Fair enough. Not arguing that.

But £5678.21 to repair is bend over and accept rape material. Vw want to replace the entire fuel system.

No thanks.

Getting it transported to my local.

Who else has had the HPFP fail?

Hi my early 2017 T28 150 has also broken down with what I suspect to be HPFP failure not that VW have decided yet after having the van for a week, you certainly can’t rush them! So am wondering is this a common fault and what age was your transporter that failed? Is it now all ok?

Thx in advance

Just got my van back yesterday with new high pressure fuel pump, injectors, fuel lines and timing belt. All replaced under warranty, so very happy. The only bad point is it took 3 weeks to repair.

Sounds like this is my problem but VW blaming something in the fuel but an independent saying its probably the faulty fuel pump that has contaminated the fuel. Facing a £7K bill. Anyone know if the HPFP has a filter that can be checked on it?

Back