[Guide] How To Retrofit MFSW And Cruise Control To T6 Eu6 2019 Startline - Also Hacking DSG Paddles For CCS

A lot to go through so I will address each in turn.
1 - I don't understand why you could splice onto BCM pin 17 and not pin 36. I tried that but had to change it. Pin 17 is OK for earlier vans. CCS buttons will probably not be working yet because of this.
2 - As long as the fuse is connected to a supply with a load on it and is turned on and off at the right times with the key it should work. If wrong you will get an exclamation mark in the display when CCS is used.
3 - ECU coding requires an up to date version of VCDS or use VCP.
4 - Byte 15 bit 0 only used for high spec radios so probably not needed. If set and not needed (like on mine) it does not affect anything.
5 - Byte 17 bit 2 I have not found out what this is for but set it anyway.
6 - Byte 29 bit 6 set this if you have to move the BCM wire from pin 17 to pin 36 - which I expect you will need to do.
7 - No need to change the subsystem coding if your MFSW does not have flappy paddles. Where did you see B4FFFF? I think it should be B0FFFF without paddles or B1FFFF with paddles on a van with a DSG.
8 - The stereo seems to work with or without any coding.
9 - Where have you been told about the adaptions? I did not have to do these.
10 - The stereo is being worked by the BCM wire on pin 17. Once you swap it to pin 36 and set Byte 29 bit 6 all the buttons and the horn should work.
11 - With the ignition on, you should see the CCS setting in the bottom left of the display. The speed can be set with the silver rocker switch in increments of 5 MPH even without the engine running. The display will time out after a few seconds but reappear if a CCS button is pressed. The green CCS active light will only work when moving and CCS is engaged. You can use VCDS to check the buttons are working as well.

So basically you should be almost there. I think you need to change the BCM wire from pin 17 to pin 36 and code Byte 29 bit 6 and maybe Byte 17 bit 2. The hardest part will be getting the ECU coded as you probably need another cable or hopefully just update the firmware on the one you have. then if your fuse is connected to a suitable supply (I used one on the light switch) it should work.

Post No. 5 details my similar problems.

Last edited:
Awesome Thanks Chang1

I have the latest vcds and the proper cable. My van is an early T6. It is a 2016 but it is a EU6.

I do not have any coding in byte 29 or do I have byte 17 bit 2 so maybe I do have the correct wire? (I am hoping I do)

My thinking to not splice pin 36 was because it stated to pin it with no mention of splicing it. However it did say depending on van spec I would need to splice pin 36 so thats where I figured I had to splice 17 as I was not able to pin 36. However maybe I have completely misunderstood this which might explain why its not showing anything on the van.

I am using the Kufatec wiring loom and it has the Kufatec instruction manual which is where the info came from for the other bits youve not seen. Such as the B4FFFF.
It mentioned Variant: GRA (cruise control) available or Variant: GRA (cruise control) not available.
but2.JPG but1.JPG

When you say Byte 17 and 29 are not showing do you mean there are no labelled check boxes for them?
If that is the case look at the box with 1s and 0s and make sure there is a 1 and not 0 at the appropriate bit for each Byte. Just because there is no labelled boxes to check does not mean there is not a 1 or 0 associated with that bit - not all are known and labelled.
Changing the position of the wire will not change what you see. Updating your VCDS can if it is not up to date.
I will try to get some photos of what my VCDS shows. Have you done an autoscan and saved it? - just incase.

Here is a link instead -

Bcu Central Electrics Module 09 Byte Screen Shots

If you follow this link and scroll down to Byte 17 you should have what you can see with your VCDS.
Bits 3,4 and 7 have check boxes but none for the other bits including 2.
Now look at the "binary" box with 10010100 in it. This may be different to what you have. Bit 0 is on the right and bit 7 (for the CCS) is on the left. To set bit 2 change the third bit from the right from 0 to 1 (same as in the screen shot). Then press enter and save it the same as you did for bit 7 after ticking the box.
Now do the same for Byte 29 as required after changing the wire to pin 36.
I would ignore the B4FFFF coding at the moment.
Do this first and then you need to tackle the ECU coding problem.

Thank you Chang1 Amazing load of info there. When I am next down at my van (its in storage) I will have a go and get some screen shots. I do have byte 29 but as in the pictures there is no check boxes. I will write it direct into the binary. I did not want to mess with it when I was there just incase. I have indeed done a autoscan.

Coding is a bit scary at first but soon becomes easy. As long as you have the autoscan backup and keep track of all altered Bytes, it is all mostly reversible. Don't forget you can use VCDS to test if the BCM is "seeing" the buttons being pressed, so try that if there is still nothing on the vans display.

OK
i HAVE SPLICED INTO THE GREY/WHITE CABLE ON pin 36. sorry abouts caps.
I now have no buttons working.
I have changed byte 29 bit 6 to 1 which is 3rd in from the left.

I am unable to change engine coding so cruise is installed. It shows" coding rejection. Error 00: unknown (0x00) "

I have made sure my vcds is the latest edition.

Does accessing the ECU to enable cruise require a security password to be entered? I seem to recall similar faults when using VCDS where a password was required.

its a step i didnt have to do as i had factory cruise on the stalks.

Last edited:
Its a good shout buddy, could be.
I did try a few but they did not work. I forgot to write down what error it said. To be honest I cant seem to get anything to change on the Engine ecu. I tried ticking the right hand drive tick box but it said the same, tried clicking the speed limiter installed and it said the same thing. Perhaps it could be a security code. What or how i enter it is beyond me.

The cruise control buttons are not being seen either when i check measurements.

I will add that I have now put it back on to pin 17 and it comes up on the drop down menu within the 09 cent coding. When connected to the 37 pin it did not show no matter if I change byte 29 or not.

I do also need to add all my trip is working as it should and can use all that including the stereo so now it is only the cruise i need to get working.

I read back through this how to and the part about T10 connector. I have not done this but I have connected to the black and blue under the steering columb which has an inline fuse in it. I assumed this took the power from there instead of doing the T10 connector.

I read back through this how to and the part about T10 connector. I have not done this but I have connected to the black and blue under the steering columb which has an inline fuse in it. I assumed this took the power from there instead of doing the T10 connector.

Again this is not a part i had to do due to factory cruise..but my understanding of the T10 part was this was the very wire that was required to 'add' cruise to a non cruise vehicle?

The fused wire that connects to ign live on the column does provide the power to the wheel but cruise is not going to work until t10 is wired in.

Ok. Might be getting somewhere here then. It may be the T10 cable I am missing. It seems to assume there will be a yellow and black cable in pin 26 of the stalk wiring connector. I removed the yellow and brown wire and tied it back but because I did not have a yellow and black in pin 26 I left it. It would seem this black and yellow is that of the T10 one?

I purchased this aswell but did not know where it went. Is this the cable I can use or is the connector pins wrong?
VW T5.1 T6 Multifunction Steering Wheel wiring harness | eBay

[QUOTE="bullracing, post: 249083, member: 14773"
I purchased this aswell but did not know where it went. Is this the cable I can use or is the connector pins wrong?
VW T5.1 T6 Multifunction Steering Wheel wiring harness | eBay[/QUOTE]

I think that is the very cable you will need...it will probably not be long enough as its gotta go from under the battery to the dash so will probably need cutting/extending.

is 24awg good enough does anyone know? should it be going to a fuse or straight to the connector ?

is 24awg good enough does anyone know? should it be going to a fuse or straight to the connector ?

24awg is 0.5mm if memory serves me correct? sounds about right...its only a signal cable. no fuse required but id personally want to run it in some sort of secondary insulation.

I used 13amp stuff for now just to test. The circuit diagram shows 0.35 so 22awg/7amp. I will order 22awg, The other wires I brought did not fit in the T10, luckily I had a short repair cable from my audi.
All installed but no such luck, I still cannot access the ecu module to change it.
On reflection I would not attempt this again or recommend it unless you have Cruise already.

Last edited:
OK
i HAVE SPLICED INTO THE GREY/WHITE CABLE ON pin 36. sorry abouts caps.
I now have no buttons working.
I have changed byte 29 bit 6 to 1 which is 3rd in from the left.

I am unable to change engine coding so cruise is installed. It shows" coding rejection. Error 00: unknown (0x00) "

I have made sure my vcds is the latest edition.

I feel your pain.
First of all, bit 6 is second from the left not third. Change that and bit 5 back then your buttons should all work.
Second, now you have the T10 wire in, just the ECU will need coding.
My VCDS clone would not code the ECU but it gave code 30. VCP did do my coding. Whatever you do stay away from the speed limiter as it is not removable once set.
I did not have to enter any security codes in VCP, it just worked. It is a clone of an old VCP and my van is MY19 so I doubt it would have automatically put one in but may have. I tried many things with VCDS but always had the error code 30. Maybe worth trying the Rosstech forum for advice on that problem.
What type of VCDS have you got?

Last edited:
On reflection I would not attempt this again or recommend it unless you have Cruise already.
It took me about 2 months to get the CCS working off of a stalk and another couple of weeks to finish the MFSW. It changed my van from one that every time I got in I was not happy to one I now like to drive. Once you get the MFSW sorted and then done a few more coding tweaks, even daft ones like the needle sweep, you will soon forget these setbacks. I still want more (especially adaptive cruise control - ACC) but in the meantime I think it was well worth it and I have learnt a fair bit on the way but I don't want to go under the battery again!

I have a genuine vcds cable. Its a HEX + CAN Dual-K & Can
I will ask over on the rosstech forums and update.

Regarding the vcp. Can i use my cable and get the software or must i spend $500 on a vcp setup? not really feeling that. Can i use a clone system of vcp? vcp is new to me.

Its looking like it could be FEC so will probably cost a fortune to have it turn on at VW.

Reactions: Pag
Back