How to paint plastics (grille, trims)?

banksey88

Hi,

I've purchased some front Grille Trims (ABS) and also some Wing Mirror Trim Lines (powder coated stainless steel) from Vanstyle, see links below:

Grill Trims (ABS)
Gloss Red ABS Lower Grille Trim Insert Set - VW T6 2015 - Vanstyle

Wing Mirror Trims (Powder Coated Stainless Steel)
Red Edition 2-Piece Wing Mirror Cover Trim Lines - VW T5 T6 - Vanstyle

Can anyone advise what paint do I need for this? Do I also need to use primer? I'm hoping to paint them VW Denim Blue.

Thanks for your help.

Guessing you’re going to use rattle cans? Yep, rub them down and usual primer, base and clear. Plastics, are they painted or ‘red plastic’ - I’d be using a plastic primer. Metal bits as already coated won‘t need an etch primer. I’ve used this supplier a lot.

Guessing you’re going to use rattle cans? Yep, rub them down and usual primer, base and clear. Plastics, are they painted or ‘red plastic’ - I’d be using a plastic primer. Metal bits as already coated won‘t need an etch primer. I’ve used this supplier a lot.
Yes was hoping to use rattle cans.

The plastic looks to be painted, does this mean I still need to be using a primer, base and clear?

For the metal I assume I go straight on with the base and a clear?

I’m looking to DIY spray my standard front grille (including bumper inserts) on my T6.1 gloss black.
Would there be any reason why I shouldn’t use plastic grey primer and Plasti-Kote gloss black (spray cans) followed by a covering of clear lacquer?
I know a body shop would be the best idea and if there’s any reason why it’s not recommended to do as I’m suggesting then a body shop it is!

If you can get good coverage with the black and have the patience to wet it back and get all the corners I would grab some paint from a local car paint shop ( I have had good results in the past) but would get the clear done by the Bodyshop for the best results as I haven’t found a clear that holds up anywhere near as well

If you can get good coverage with the black and have the patience to wet it back and get all the corners I would grab some paint from a local car paint shop ( I have had good results in the past) but would get the clear done by the Bodyshop for the best results as I haven’t found a clear that holds up anywhere near as well
Thanks

IMO the best way to clean a grill is probably to dip it as there are many awkward to access corners. Without a really good clean before painting it will be a wasted effort.
Somewhere with an ultrasonic bath.

Roughly 300 for upper and lower gloss black grills from Leighton, travelin lite, THQif you decide against spraying

You can get 2k two part aerosols where the hardener is mixed when you activate the can, they're expensive but are the proper isoacrylate cargenogenic stuff and won't flash off and yellow like conventional one part cellulose does.
Just like the gun product you can extend the useable period of the 2k by keeping the activated can in your fridge.

Hi all- I have a 2018 T6 caravelle and want to paint the grey plastic runner caps on the floor and repair a part of the dark grey plastic trim on front bumper (not colour coded). Does anyone know of a suitable rattle can that is close to the original shade?? Needs to be a suitable for plastic and Matt/satin finish.
U-POL do a dark grey plastic trim paint but I’ve no idea if it’s a close match. Can anyone advise? Cheers

Last edited:
Back