How to find out if the engine has been remapped

peteslack

T6 Pro
I'd like to know the engine map on my 150 17 plate, anyone know how I can find out from the van ECU ?, I have VCDS.
I know VW did a software upgrade last year, ad blue related. But how could i tell if a previous owner had put an engine map on ?
thanks in advance
pete

lets ask @BognorMotors

They are Trade members and offer the REVO set of maps.

Support our trade Members :

(@BognorMotors) Bognor Motors - Hire, Sales, Service & MOT Bognor Regis & Chichester

We would need to plug in which would confirm if it had Revo and do some data logging to confirm if it was someone’s else’s map.
If VW did an update then it would have overwritten it anyway.

I'd expect that ECU software update (including remaps) counter would tell that. VCDS - Engine - Advanced ID.
Please post a VCDS scan before and after the update.

Possibly even a dealer could tell that -->

Just to complement @mmi 's post above.

Look at below screenshots, particularly at "Flash Status".

This one has not been re-flashed (virgin ;)).
fresh.png

And these two have been messed with.
u5kRDFf.png

advancedid.png

Numbers other than "0" indicate that Engine Control Unit has been re-flashed.
It could be genuine dealer update/recall/etc. or the actual remap.

You could perform some logging but to get quick answer the best is dyno(rolling road).
By performing this kind of measurement you will know what your peak torque and peak power is.
Just don't be surprised if you see "0" at "Flash Status" and your peak torque and power are few percent more than expected.
Almost all VAG TDI engines are set slightly above manufacturers specification.

Thanks for the replies and info

ran vcds on the engine module, got this, thoughts gratefully received especially Programming Attempts(application): 0/6/6

Address 01: Engine
Control Module Part Number: 04L 906 056 KL
Component and/or Version: R4 2.0l TDI H02 6166
Software Coding: 00194014432401090000
Work Shop Code: WSC 02737
VCID: 015F81573186FCE37CC-8054

Advanced Identification/FAZIT
Identification: DH1-00S
Revision: 23002001
Date: 10.05.17
Manufacturer number: UPS6
Test stand number: 1095
Flash Status
Programming Attempts(application): 0/6/6
Flash Date: ----.--.--
Misc.
Hardware number: 04L 907 445
Workshop System Name: 2D2D2
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TDI03004L906056KL
ASAM Dataset Revision: 004012
Car Info
Chassis Number: WV1ZZZ7HZJH0*****
Engine code: CXHA

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: mmi
Hmmm... interesting. So the van obviously has manual transmission and is not 4Motion?

Engine software 04L 906 056 KL has two versions in VW inventory.
FL_04L906056KL_3802__V001.frf
FL_04L906056KL_6166__V001.frf = your current identifiers:
Address 01: Engine
Control Module Part Number: 04L 906 056 KL
Component and/or Version: R4 2.0l TDI H02 6166
So these would result only Programming Attempts(application): 0/2/2.
Being a MY18 van it had from factory the above "3802" version.

Any chance you've got VCDS Autoscan (engine section) before the VW update?

Yep its a manual 6 speed, and there was no live axle at the back when i was under it last week.... v5 says 110kw..

unfortunately don't have a pre vw update vcds autoscan, just finished converting it to a camper so only recently took an interest in the engine management.

I took it into VW last june (ie before warranty ran out) with a "non specific engine sensor error'. The work item says "carried out a software update for the adblue system" nothing more. its been fine since.

Do you think it is actually running on a VW engine map at the moment ? wonder where the other 4 updates happened ?

it drives well, bit short on torque for pulling a trailer in 6th at 60mph though. 36 to 40 mpg.

unfortunately don't have a pre vw update vcds autoscan
Ouch... was hoping to see if there was "a signature".
The work item says "carried out a software update for the adblue system" nothing more. its been fine since.
Yes, that's it is sometimes called although the changes made in the software affect also other areas.
Do you think it is actually running on a VW engine map at the moment ?
Yes, it's now pure OEM VW software.

Update - so went to my local VW main dealer for MOT (as I had a Covid extension pass) van passed good news. I asked about programming of the van's control modules in particular if log was available of "programing attempts" - quite reasonable i thought. The answer was no log was available, the recent "ad blue" update last july was as defined by VW and would have updated all relevant control module software on install. I'm guessing VW wiped all the control modules and then installed a fresh package of software. So there we are...

Very curious now, anyone know where the engine map definition lives in the ECU ? Is at a memory address visible to VCDS ?

Reactions: mmi
Hi, this is a bit off topic, but long story short...
I've just bought a Carista to see what version software I have in regards to the adblue fault detailed on other threads and whether I needed a software update. This stems from fault code logged by my local garage ages ago which I now understand was non active and so ignored by VW when I've asked them to check on 2 occasions.

So this is what I've got as a print out.

DETAILED ECU INFO

ECU info obtained with Carista 610099 for iOS:

VIN: WV1ZZZ7HZJH135133

Engine
Part #: 04L906056KL
Component: R4 2.0l TDI
Software version: 3802
ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_ECM20TDI03004L906056KL
Coding: 00194014432401090000 (hex)
[No fault codes]

Part number or software version don't seem to match what I've read previous on threads on this which is 04L906056KA from 4047 (old) to 6163 (new)
so i googled it and it came up with this thread instead, which matches my read out except its running the factory software 3802, and then you mention about having had an update for the adblue and are now running software version 6166

''Engine software 04L 906 056 KL has two versions in VW inventory.
FL_04L906056KL_3802__V001.frf
FL_04L906056KL_6166__V001.frf ''

So can someone (mmi?) please just confirm that I am not going mad and my van is running old software which I need to get updated so I can pursue this when the van goes into VW tomorrow.
Cheers

So can someone (mmi?) please just confirm that I am not going mad and my van is running old software which I need to get updated so I can pursue this when the van goes into VW tomorrow.
Cheers
Correct, your van has old software. The new indeed is identified as:
Software ID: 04L906056KL, Version 6166.

Part number or software version don't seem to match what I've read previous on threads on this which is 04L906056KA from 4047 (old) to 6163 (new)
This is because different engines have different softwares (distinguished by the suffix). Also different transmission types get different software (suffix), as well as 4Motion.

Yours "KL" identifies engine CXHA, N1-class vehicle (VIN WV1), 6-speed manual transmission, FWD.

The "04L906056KA from 4047 (old) to 6163 (new)" is for engine CXGB + 5-speed manual gearbox + FWD + N1-class vehicle.

Last edited:
Back