How to change rear seats to 3 singles.

Lord Mfwic

I'm Batman.
T6 Legend
I'm thinking about changing my rear seats in my Kombi from 2+1 to 3 single seats.

Has anyone done this or does anyone know what's involved?

I’ve added the 4 extra floor brackets to do this. It was tricky getting under one of the heat shields to do the nuts up and had to drop the exhaust. All done on the drive on its wheels. Your existing kombi 2/1 brackets are all in the right places already!

Here is a picture after I’d drilled the holes after checking 10 times. The divots in the floor pan are the give away!

DE098F64-C6E6-4D7B-9266-1535D1FA9F23.jpeg

Thank you @Paynewright.

So would I need to buy 3 x single seats or 2 and use my existing single ?

One other thing.

The idea is to remove the middle single seat so I have a complete walk through.
If I was to buy 1 single seat, would that fit into the existing bracket for the double?

I have a middle shuttle seat (for row 3) and I can fit this in 3 positions on the second row. If I was converting a van and only needed two rear seats I’d have two middle shuttle seats with integral belts.

You could buy two, but the Shuttle range of fabrics seems to be different to everything else.

VanleisureUK on ebay will sell individual seats though you pay more per seat that way (rather than buying the set of 3)

I have a middle shuttle seat (for row 3) and I can fit this in 3 positions on the second row. If I was converting a van and only needed two rear seats I’d have two middle shuttle seats with integral belts.
I already have the seat belts for the outer seats as mine is a Kombi and I use it as a day van so don't have any intentions to convert it.

I have 2 x Captain seats upfront and I'm looking to get a clear walkway through to the back. So I only really want 1 x single seat to fit behind the drivers seat and leave my other single seat which is behind the passenger seat.
If the need arouse that I require 3 rear seats, then I could put the old 2 seat back in.

Would I need to add additional seat mounts to do achieve this?

Yes but only two brackets that basically mirror your current single seat mounts. Middle seats tend to be the expensive ones of the set.

Yes but only two brackets that basically mirror your current single seat mounts. Middle seats tend to be the expensive ones of the set.
Thank you @Paynewright for your help. :thumbsup:
There seems to be plenty of single seats on ebay so I might look at buying 2 and then selling my double.

I now like the idea of 2 x single Captain seats in the rear but I'm not sure if thats possible.

I’ve considered buying individual shuttle seats for the second row as they are just so much easier to lug about! And also give complete flexibility.

You could just leave your single seat out to give access to the back albeit a bit of a zig zag!

You could just leave your single seat out to give access to the back albeit a bit of a zig zag!
Thats my current set up but when I spin the passenger seat I like to have the single to put my feet on. ( I'm getting old and like my creature comforts)
I also think a clear walkway from front to rear would look smarter.
It's just a thought at this stage but the double is a heavy seat to take in and out when I want to use it as a Van.

My other option is take out the double and leave the single but my fridge lives behind the double.

I’ve added the 4 extra floor brackets to do this. It was tricky getting under one of the heat shields to do the nuts up and had to drop the exhaust. All done on the drive on its wheels. Your existing kombi 2/1 brackets are all in the right places already!

Here is a picture after I’d drilled the holes after checking 10 times. The divots in the floor pan are the give away!

View attachment 82320
Im wanting to swap my 2+1 rear seats from my current van to new van when it arrives. Didn’t realise the floor pan had those indentations there.
probably a silly question but as your picture shows is it as easy as using the bracket as a template seated in the indentation to pilot the holes for bolts?

Im wanting to swap my 2+1 rear seats from my current van to new van when it arrives. Didn’t realise the floor pan had those indentations there.
probably a silly question but as your picture shows is it as easy as using the bracket as a template seated in the indentation to pilot the holes for bolts?

pretty much though you have to drop the fuel / adblue tank. You can use your existing van to make a template.

pretty much though you have to drop the fuel / adblue tank. You can use your existing van to make a template.
Thanks. Appreciate it. I’ve had quite a few sleepless nights thinking about doing it! I think I’ve seen a thread on here about the procedure underneath.
Another possible stupid question. Apart from taking the seats out of my current van I’d like to leave everything else as is for re-sale. Going to order a new ready to fit 12mm ply floor for new van. What would you say is the best way to mark out the holes needed for the seat brackets to fit through?

I had rear seats fitted to my T6.1 panel van in France using this seating system:-

with this flooring:-

I only run the two seats so I can access the rear easy. The rear seats were ordered with the same trim as the front. Its all EU approved (maybe no good for the the UK now!!) and the company made all the paper work changes to register the van as a 5 seater.

I like it, but it wasn't cheap ......

61772494368__58CBA8DD-07DE-4A1E-A8E3-7A090780C3FB.JPG 61772495601__4521D463-E702-491E-8677-7D939128067F.JPG 61772559267__3A06931B-587A-4243-85C2-52E31FB1931C.JPG

Thanks. Appreciate it. I’ve had quite a few sleepless nights thinking about doing it! I think I’ve seen a thread on here about the procedure underneath.
Another possible stupid question. Apart from taking the seats out of my current van I’d like to leave everything else as is for re-sale. Going to order a new ready to fit 12mm ply floor for new van. What would you say is the best way to mark out the holes needed for the seat brackets to fit through?

I guess make all the holes in the floor for the brackets, drop your ply in and pencil mark through the holes from underneath.

You could do the two captains seats in the rear if you fitted caravelle rails to the floor @Lord Mfwic and used single caravelle rears
I have looked at doing that but it's over 5k and its a bit too posh.

Its very rare, but sometimes it needs to be a builders van.
C2AA11B2-1043-4C46-8439-AA4B33EAE01C_1_201_a.jpeg

I won't want to put that on my new Caravelle rails.

I had rear seats fitted to my T6.1 panel van in France using this seating system:-

with this flooring:-

I only run the two seats so I can access the rear easy. The rear seats were ordered with the same trim as the front. Its all EU approved (maybe no good for the the UK now!!) and the company made all the paper work changes to register the van as a 5 seater.

I like it, but it wasn't cheap ......

View attachment 82336 View attachment 82337 View attachment 82338
What is the gap between your two rear seats (at the closest point) ?

Back