How to activate Active Lane Guidance in a T6.1

yelmarb

I have Lane Assist in my T6.1 and I expected it to be like a semi auto pilot by keeping the car in the middle of the lane. Instead it just ping pongs between the lines of the lane. However it seems like it is possible to enable Adaptive Lane Guidance which will keep the car in the centre of a lane.

Sniffing around VCDS hasn't revealed anything noticeable. I can only assume that it needs a few other adaptions to make it come to life. Can anyone shed any light onto how to enable this feature?

Last edited:
I’ve done it his on mine with the Carista Beta and Bluetooth OBD2 dongle. Just a one click affair. Works so well for eating crisps driving extra safely.

I’ve done it his on mine with the Carista Beta and Bluetooth OBD2 dongle. Just a one click affair. Works so well for eating crisps driving extra safely.
Thanks @Crandag I downloaded Carista Beta and the only option I saw was to change active lane guidance from late to early.... I selected early but it hasn't enabled active lane guidance at all (I tried late as well, but that didn't work either). I'm still ping ponging off the lane markings and spilling crisps all over the car.

Ignore that last post... I jumped back in the van today and noticed that I now have the "adaptive lane guidance" menu item. Must have needed a full shutdown / reset before it would activate. Thank you so much @Crandag !!!

Hey that’s cool. Probably should have mentioned the early intervention point detail. Had to switch my ignition off/on too. Enjoy!

I have been looking at some of these options lately, it seems there are three factory options that use the same camera :
High beam assist
Lane assist
Traffic sign recognition

so if you have any one of them then seems pretty likely the other two can be turned on somehow (although unlikely VCDS alone can it)
I would guess the camera would need flashing with a dataset at least ?

What options do you guys have ?

I've got factory lane keep assist and high beam assist. I've since found out that the lights (which are LEDs) are CAN bus controlled, not sure if the standard lights are or not...

There a few other things that come with lane keep assist option:

• Cruise control system incl. speed limiter

• Exterior mirrors, power-adjustable, heated and power-folding, folding possible via vehicle key

• Lane keeping system Lane Assist
TBH, the high beam assist isn't the best. It takes an age to turn on after passing another car and will turn off at the sight of road signs or other close by items.

Maybe just get the lane keep assist option which you can adapt to active lane guidance which is really good (alongside active cruise control). You then get the camera and other goodies and if you can, enable the high beam assist with VCDS. If it doesn't work then it's no great loss.

Did you have lane assist before enabling the active lane assist? I have speed sign assist, wondering if the lane assist uses the same camera.

My van came with Lane Assist with Side Assist as an option. As far as I'm aware there's only one camera behind the windscreen that lane assist uses. Side assist uses some rear/side facing radar magic and is a separate feature even though it came as part of a single option on ordering. Pretty sure that same camera must be used for recognising speed signs but I'd need a posher head unit/dash for that to work. I only got the basic model. Composition colour?

Carista Beta has a whole bunch of steps (16 or so) to go through for enabling Lane assist. If you have the camera for recognising signs then that might just work for you.

I didn't spec high beam assist but assumed I'd be able to enable it later. There's a step for enabling it missing in the Carista app for me. Not sure if that's an omission on their part of if I'm missing some hardware. I don't know if it uses the camera or a sensor in the rear view mirror.

My van came with Lane Assist with Side Assist as an option. As far as I'm aware there's only one camera behind the windscreen that lane assist uses. Side assist uses some rear/side facing radar magic and is a separate feature even though it came as part of a single option on ordering. Pretty sure that same camera must be used for recognising speed signs but I'd need a posher head unit/dash for that to work. I only got the basic model. Composition colour?

Carista Beta has a whole bunch of steps (16 or so) to go through for enabling Lane assist. If you have the camera for recognising signs then that might just work for you.

I didn't spec high beam assist but assumed I'd be able to enable it later. There's a step for enabling it missing in the Carista app for me. Not sure if that's an omission on their part of if I'm missing some hardware. I don't know if it uses the camera or a sensor in the rear view mirror.
Thanks for the reply, Ill have a play and report back.

Sign recognition uses the same front camera that controls high beam assist and lane assist, theoretically if you have one then the others are a possibility (sign recognition requires discover media headunit) but the camera will need flashing or a new dataset to do this, its on my radar of things being looked into but struggling to find any files for it at the moment which could stop any progress :(

Reactions: mmi
Sign recognition uses the same front camera that controls high beam assist and lane assist, theoretically if you have one then the others are a possibility (sign recognition requires discover media headunit) but the camera will need flashing or a new dataset to do this, its on my radar of things being looked into but struggling to find any files for it at the moment which could stop any progress :(
Pauly, I have sign recognition but no lane assist. Happy to send any data if needed.

Looked at Carista Beta, I only have 2 of the 16 steps. Does this mean I am missing hardware?

Probably, or rather the camera may not have the capabilities ?
VW are getting very clever with FEC (function enabling code) and SWaP (software as a product) functions which mean you either have to pay to activate something or you cant activate it because you didnt pay for it in the factory

I am keen to work on this, my van has main beam assist so i will be looking to activate lane assist
If you guys can document the steps you are seeing in comparison to each other (as you both have one function active) we may be able to make some progress ?

My fear is that the camera will need to be flashed with new software and/or have a new dataset loaded onto it and when i checked last week VW have not released any flash files for the camera and VCP have not released and datasets for 6.1 camera so at the moment its a blank on the software front :(

In Carista beta, I have 2 steps available for enabling lane assist. Step 1of16 + 2of16. I have enabled both. Once enabled lane assist shows on my mfd but shows error of lane assist unavailable.

VW are getting very clever with FEC (function enabling code) and SWaP (software as a product) functions which mean you either have to pay to activate something or you cant activate it because you didnt pay for it in the factory

I am keen to work on this, my van has main beam assist so i will be looking to activate lane assist
If you guys can document the steps you are seeing in comparison to each other (as you both have one function active) we may be able to make some progress ?

My fear is that the camera will need to be flashed with new software and/or have a new dataset loaded onto it and when i checked last week VW have not released any flash files for the camera and VCP have not released and datasets for 6.1 camera so at the moment its a blank on the software front :(
There are two types of camera, a basic one (fitted to the mirror housing) that only does high beam assist, and the more advanced one that does all the lane assist and traffic signs that needs the windscreen changed

There are two types of camera, a basic one (fitted to the mirror housing) that only does high beam assist, and the more advanced one that does all the lane assist and traffic signs that needs the windscreen changed
I have speed sign assist, would like to enable lane assist that is not currently available.

This & most of the main dealers don't seem able to diagnose this system properly yet when it doesn't work properly (or packs up) & won't accept a calibration as mine has.
It's had 2 windscreens, a new camera unit, hours checking the wiring & on ODIS etc etc, after 11 months they still can't fathom it.

• Wow
I have Lane Assist in my T6.1 and I expected it to be like a semi auto pilot by keeping the car in the middle of the lane. Instead it just ping pongs between the lines of the lane. However it seems like it is possible to enable Adaptive Lane Guidance which will keep the car in the centre of a lane.

Sniffing around VCDS hasn't revealed anything noticeable. I can only assume that it needs a few other adaptions to make it come to life. Can anyone shed any light onto how to enable this feature?

STG A5 > Coding > Byte 08 > Bit 5-7 auf "Point_of_intervention,early_setting_over_menu"

Back