How Secure Are T6.1’s

DarrenTT

T6 Pro
Hi, I’m going to be the proud owner of a t6.1 highline conversion in 4 months time. Question is how good is the standard security system? Are t6’s and t6.1’s targeted for thefts etc? I’m already looking at an additional camera on the drive, hopefully I’m not going to be too over protective.

Our T6 is stored at a very secure caravan/van storage yard, or it’s on our drive. In both cases it has a pedal lock, Disklok and wheel clamp attached. The cost of all 3 is about £450, which is trivial in the scale of things.
When out and about we leave the wheel clamp behind.

Pete

Agree with the Ghost, even with the keys, which is what they are targeting, they still can’t start the van. Had mine fitted last month, no issues. Plus I have been told that as of 01st March, insurance companies are recognising them, will see.

Agree with the Ghost, even with the keys, which is what they are targeting, they still can’t start the van. Had mine fitted last month, no issues. Plus I have been told that as of 01st March, insurance companies are recognising them, will see.

Is it a bit of a pain having to put in the code every single time?

Yes and no. I forget lots but it is quick to put in and it makes you smile thinking the person who has just stole your keys won't be going anywhere.

Once you're used to it, it takes seconds to do. You do it on autopilot without even thinking about it.
Sorry if slightly off the Ghost topic but a quick question as I set out to start on my conversion journey if I may please. I appreciate the secure way this isolates starting the vehicle but would a simple switch hidden under the dash,wired to the ignition wire be easy to do? Or is there a problem with doing that?

I've been advised by my fitters to fit a hidden switch as I can only park on the street and they gave me a link to who fits them... only I haven't done it yet cos I'm now skint! Lol.

Some details from Autowatch themselves, read as you wish.

"The Ghost is a unique next generation device that secures your vehicle without the need for cutting wires or adding after market alarm/immobiliser key fobs. The device is connected to the vehicles CAN Data Network and a personalised PIN Code is programed into the Ghost using the vehicles existing buttons on the dash board and steering wheel to create a unique code pattern that must be selected before the vehicle will start...
Did you know the Autowatch Ghost can't be cloned by any method?
A professional thief can use readily available diagnostic tools to detect alarm/immobiliser circuits on modern vehicles and disable them. The Ghost has no circuit cuts so it cannot be tampered with in this way.
No Radio frequency signals. Thieves cannot use sophisticated RF scanning or code grabbing technology to intercept and detect what security system is fitted as it does not transmit any signals

Some details from Autowatch themselves, read as you wish.

"The Ghost is a unique next generation device that secures your vehicle without the need for cutting wires or adding after market alarm/immobiliser key fobs. The device is connected to the vehicles CAN Data Network and a personalised PIN Code is programed into the Ghost using the vehicles existing buttons on the dash board and steering wheel to create a unique code pattern that must be selected before the vehicle will start...
Did you know the Autowatch Ghost can't be cloned by any method?
A professional thief can use readily available diagnostic tools to detect alarm/immobiliser circuits on modern vehicles and disable them. The Ghost has no circuit cuts so it cannot be tampered with in this way.
No Radio frequency signals. Thieves cannot use sophisticated RF scanning or code grabbing technology to intercept and detect what security system is fitted as it does not transmit any signals
Fair point, thank you

Sorry if slightly off the Ghost topic but a quick question as I set out to start on my conversion journey if I may please. I appreciate the secure way this isolates starting the vehicle but would a simple switch hidden under the dash,wired to the ignition wire be easy to do? Or is there a problem with doing that?

It's something I've done,in the past.
Just put a kill switch on the starter motor,and hid it behind the front bumper.
Saved the van,once.

It's something I've done,in the past.
Just put a kill switch on the starter motor,and hid it behind the front bumper.
Saved the van,once.
Cheers,only problem I am thinking of with that is messing with the wiring of a brand new van and the warranty etc, although I will be ripping it to bits for the camper conversion anyway :D

Cheers,only problem I am thinking of with that is messing with the wiring of a brand new van and the warranty etc, although I will be ripping it to bits for the camper conversion anyway :D
I wouldn’t worry too much about this ! I have just completed a conversion on a new van and I’ve had an active tracker fitted and a kill switch as you say hidden away somewhere the thieving little buggers won’t find it ! It’s a great idea

I wouldn’t worry too much about this ! I have just completed a conversion on a new van and I’ve had an active tracker fitted and a kill switch as you say hidden away somewhere the thieving little buggers won’t find it ! It’s a great idea
Thanks for that, replies much appreciated. Did you find the kill switch easy to wire up. Did you find an ignition live or as tic tac stated, wire from starter?

I discovered yesterday that the T6.1 comes with something called We Connect which includes geofencing, so I get a notification on my phone if the van leaves an area I've specified. It'll also notify me if the alarm goes off.

Don't think you can see the location of the van when it's moving, only once it has parked, but it's a nice feature.

I discovered yesterday that the T6.1 comes with something called We Connect which includes geofencing, so I get a notification on my phone if the van leaves an area I've specified. It'll also notify me if the alarm goes off.

Don't think you can see the location of the van when it's moving, only once it has parked, but it's a nice feature.
That is very interesting. I like that idea. I will be fitting a seperate (cheap) tracker to mine along with wheel lock and maybe ghost or isolator switch, thanks for the info.

Back