How low is sensible?

Yes as above the larger overall wheel will help mpg but the wider tyres from 215 to 275 will negate any effects.
I don't go for low rolling resistance tyres. I go for the tyres with most grip quick ate usually the most expensive so I probably get less millage real world.

I still average 520-570miles to a tank on my t5's Both on my current hire van 82ps with 215/65 sport contact 2 tyres and my remapped 166hp with 275/40/19 kumho ecsta sports. I probably get a bit more in the 82hp with 215 tyres bit perhaps only 1 mpg more.

@Twoguns , bought the van from new at custom vanz with 20" already fitted so can't tell the differance on mpg. Getting about 530 miles to a tank but that's with a remap . If I take it easy I'll get 40 mpg on the motorway and that's not going over 70 mph , mostly drive between 80-90 mph on motorways traffic permitting and get about 34 mpg. Just fitted Uniroyal rain sport 3 tyres and very pleased with the alround performance .

@Twoguns , bought the van from new at custom vanz with 20" already fitted so can't tell the differance on mpg. Getting about 530 miles to a tank but that's with a remap . If I take it easy I'll get 40 mpg on the motorway and that's not going over 70 mph , mostly drive between 80-90 mph on motorways traffic permitting and get about 34 mpg. Just fitted Uniroyal rain sport 3 tyres and very pleased with the alround performance .

Rainsport 3 are the best tyres I have used on the t5. The only downside and the reason why I don't use them is because I got 7000 miles out the fronts and 10k out of the rear over 3 sets with a solid alignment. Doing 25k a year that wasn't feasible.

Rainsport 3 are the best tyres I have used on the t5. The only downside and the reason why I don't use them is because I got 7000 miles out the fronts and 10k out of the rear over 3 sets with a solid alignment. Doing 25k a year that wasn't feasible.
The last tyres were Nankang NS2 and managed to get 18500 but that's mainly motorway mileage . The rears got very noisy because of the wear (sawtooth wear ) to the inside of the tyre , stopped them to the front but the noise drove me mad , it's like having worn wheel bearings .
Will be interesting to see what mileage I get from the Uniroyals.

Cheers @Chriswhit thats what I wanted to hear. I've got a 150DSG Kombi coming soon and I'd be happy with 40mpg as I'll be doing mainly motorway and dual carriage type roads. The guy at Custom Vanz said the Nankang were good and recommend them over the 275/35r20 branded tyres.
He also said the 275/40r20 Nankang with the GTS wheels don't rub but I think you said they did, is this the case?

@Twoguns , my original tyres were nankang 35 profiles and were fine with no rubbing . The 40 profiles that custom vanz supply are ok . I replaced the Nankangs with Pirelli scorpion tyres which I believe has a fatter side wall and that's why they rubbed . Custom vanz supply the Pirelli P Zero tyres that seem to have a flatter side wall which is why they don't rub. I think that's why they only use certain makes and types of tyres .

@Twoguns , my original tyres were nankang 35 profiles and were fine with no rubbing . The 40 profiles that custom vanz supply are ok . I replaced the Nankangs with Pirelli scorpion tyres which I believe has a fatter side wall and that's why they rubbed . Custom vanz supply the Pirelli P Zero tyres that seem to have a flatter side wall which is why they don't rub. I think that's why they only use certain makes and types of tyres .
Cheers@chriswhit. Just need my van (hopefully mid October) then I'm off there to chose wheels (torn between HK Hock and GTS both in black) and get side bars and splitter/spoiler.

Also have a look at general grabber tyres in same size as they are using them also.

Has anyone experienced any grounding out of the front spoiler/splitter after lowering? I want to lower mine but there are lots of steep entry hills round here (Yorkshire)

No but it's always a problem when lowering, my T3 was a constant problem, multi storey car parks the worst, leaving my Vel at the std 20mm drop

Fitted my Van Slam coilovers yesterday, was a surprisingly difficult but ultimately rewarding job. See before and after pics!before.JPG

Bog standard

measure with new wheels.JPG

Height measurement with new wheels fitted

here we go.JPG

Here we go!

rear.JPG

Finished

after.JPG

Sitting about 45mm clearance from top of the tyre to wheel arch at the moment. I may raise another 10mm or so after a week or so and everything has settled.

Have you got the rear springs the correct way round?
Every other coilover on the t5 are the opposite way round so they don't bang.

Have you got the rear springs the correct way round?
Every other coilover on the t5 are the opposite way round so they don't bang.
Now you've got me worried! Do you mean the adjuster should go on the body of the van rather than the wish-bone? The kit doesn't come with fitting instructions and we positioned the springs the way they 'looked' as though they should go. The coil diameters are different at each end so this seemed the logical way to us.
I may contact Van Style for clarification. Thanks for raising this point. :thumbsup:

I've never had a problem with vw warranty on my T5.1 or my caddy. Both had driveshafts replaced due to been seriously low but they never questioned it. I've gone for GAZ ultra low coilovers on my T6 now and fingers crossed won't have an issue

Now you've got me worried! Do you mean the adjuster should go on the body of the van rather than the wish-bone? The kit doesn't come with fitting instructions and we positioned the springs the way they 'looked' as though they should go. The coil diameters are different at each end so this seemed the logical way to us.
I may contact Van Style for clarification. Thanks for raising this point. :thumbsup:
The adjuster should be at the top not on the lower arm

Reactions: CRD
Back