How low is sensible?

@Rob l would be cautious about dropping more than 50mm depending on the wheel size. My wheels are 20" with 275/35 tyres . Thought I'd try 40 profile when renewing my tyres , big mistake . The front tyres would rub on full lock and the overall appearance of the 40 profile tyre made the van look not as good . Expensive mistake and decided to buy another set of 35 profile and have now got a set of 40 profile tyres with 200 miles sat in my garage.

Yep 275/40/20 are just too big. They look strange on all the vans they are on which seems to be all.
275/35 looks sweet as.

Hi @Chriswhit , what made you change to 40's and surprised at them rubbing as custom seem to be fitting 275/40/20 to most of there vans now.
Got an added interest with this as I've purchased there 20" gts alloy wheels and also a set of 275/40/20 to throw on them, just hoping they won't rub now when fitted... Although I haven't had the van lowered as of yet.

@Pedro depends on your wheel offset and drop. Mind you on a T5 with Range Sport alloys and 275/40/20 tyres it rubbed pre and post lowering. I went with the 40 aspect ratio because they were a lot cheaper at the time.

Hi @Pedro , a mate of mine bought the GTS alloys from custom vanz with Pirelli P Zero 275/40/20 but he had the eibach 40mm springs fitted and hasn't noticed any rubbing on the fronts . I think that the Pirelli scorpion tyres have a more curved side wall due to the load rating as they are recommended for SUVs .
Thought I would try the 40 profile as the Pirelli scorpions seemed to be a good price and didn't think the profile change would make a big difference , lesson learnt for next time .

Thanks @Chriswhit , I'm throwing mine on to check with rubbing, I'll then look into the lowering side but carry quite a bit of weight and new to lowering so will need to look into what will suit the most.

No definitive answer on this but I've never risked any mods while I have a vehicle under warranty, just don't want to be in that position should anything happen.
I accept I'm being cautious many do mod their vans from new and very nice they look too (slightly jealous).
Don't forget insurers need to be informed as well.
Warranty is one issue, insurance is something else entirely!
Totally agree with this!

Mines got 50mm eibachs with 275/35/20 wheels . Rides great , wheels don't catch and my local dealers no problem with future warranty issues . Don't carry much weight in it except a few dozen reels of cable every now and then . Really happy with the road holding and is a far better ride than my last T5 with 30mm eibachs with 18" rims .
Hi @Chriswhit did you notice much difference in MPG going to the bigger wider tyres? As I'm thinking of going down the Custom Vanz route like yours.

MPG will be reported worse because with a larger circurmference wheel/tyre you will travelling further than the odometer will report...

Last edited:
But actual mpg (ignore the vans computer) would be better because you are traveling further due too the larger circumference at the same rpm, therefore less distance per rpm.

Larger overall wheel and tyres is similar to changing the gearbox final drive. Larger final drive means longer gearing.

Last edited:
So you will be getting better real time MPG than what the Vans MFD shows due to distance traveled being further than reported, i understand that bit now.
@RattyMcClelland With the effect of a longer gearing normally this would improve MPG, is that correct?
So in real terms will it or wont it affect the real MPG?
My first thoughts were that due to the wider Tyre giving more surface contact and therefore resistance the true MPG would be worse.

Yeh, you probably right, the increased rolling resistance will reduce the MPG and the higher gearing increase it, so overall you might have a slight reduction. Didn't notice a difference in the T5 going from 16 to 20.

Back