How long should it take for an Alternator to be fitted by dealership?

I don’t know the actual book time, but the front-end needs to be put into “service mode” which means bumper off and the radiators etc. moved forward to get to it, so that adds a bit of time.

Thanks Loz, turns out York Commercial can see to my van.....in 5 weeks! Now have to get car, caravan and us home to Newcastle ! Seriously considering Mayday @ green flag

Ask for a new timing belt to be fitted at the same time as the alternator is replaced, they can only charge you for the parts as the Timing belt has to come off to do the alternator (money-saving tip)
they won’t want to do it because they will want to catch you with the full cost later on it but insist it is done, particularly if the alternator has failed.
don’t settle for the “we'll visually inspect it” BS

Ask for a new timing belt to be fitted at the same time as the alternator is replaced, they can only charge you for the parts as the Timing belt has to come off to do the alternator (money-saving tip)
they won’t want to do it because they will want to catch you with the full cost later on it but insist it is done, particularly if the alternator has failed.
don’t settle for the “we'll visually inspect it” BS
The timing belt has nothing to do with the alternator, its the aux belt you mean.

you are correct and re reading my post i did not make it clear, and it is misleading.

the Aux belt drives the alternator, but it is in very close proximity to the Timing belt, despite the redesign of the guarding, there are still several potential issues that can affect the timing belt when an alternator fails. depending on the type of failure, (which it’s unlikely the OP will be told, by VW).

The aux belt could be damaged, pieces of a damaged serpentine belt can manage to get into the timing belt mechanism, even with the redesigned guarding, causing potential damage to the Timing belt, if the investigation Job is done properly they should remove the timing belt cover to check it fully for signs of damage, purely because the consequence of damage to the Timing belt (from the alternator failing) could be catastrophic.

Also Depending on the type of alternator failure, it it were electrical, it may have caused excessive heat local to the timing belt, which may damage the belt construction which may not be detectable on a visual inspection, excess heat can can cause premature failure of the timing belt.

Hence my comment regarding “Visual check“ of timing belt being BS, i.e. the part that failed (alternator) is relatively cheap to fix but the failure has the potential to affect the integrity of the timing belt, with far greater consequence & cost should the investigation and remedial measures not be carried out correctly.

if it were me I would be having that discussion with the VW garage regarding the sanity of a visual check of the timing belt (particularly when you refer to VWCV maintenance period, they obviously think these belts can’t last more than 4 years without being a severe risk, regardless of mileage)

VW can’t have it both ways !

Well, im still waiting for the RAC to me home. The VW is still with York Commercial and we are still on the caravan park. Its only taken RAC 8 DAYS so far and we're still no further forward. Totally p*ssed off now.

Do you not have VW assist as part of your original warranty?

when you use VW assist they have priority over VW dealer workshop bookings !

Agreed, if under warranty get VW assist out (who will come same day) and if they can’t fix it they will get you to a dealership pronto

you are correct and re reading my post i did not make it clear, and it is misleading.

the Aux belt drives the alternator, but it is in very close proximity to the Timing belt, despite the redesign of the guarding, there are still several potential issues that can affect the timing belt when an alternator fails. depending on the type of failure, (which it’s unlikely the OP will be told, by VW).

The aux belt could be damaged, pieces of a damaged serpentine belt can manage to get into the timing belt mechanism, even with the redesigned guarding, causing potential damage to the Timing belt, if the investigation Job is done properly they should remove the timing belt cover to check it fully for signs of damage, purely because the consequence of damage to the Timing belt (from the alternator failing) could be catastrophic.

Also Depending on the type of alternator failure, it it were electrical, it may have caused excessive heat local to the timing belt, which may damage the belt construction which may not be detectable on a visual inspection, excess heat can can cause premature failure of the timing belt.

Hence my comment regarding “Visual check“ of timing belt being BS, i.e. the part that failed (alternator) is relatively cheap to fix but the failure has the potential to affect the integrity of the timing belt, with far greater consequence & cost should the investigation and remedial measures not be carried out correctly.

if it were me I would be having that discussion with the VW garage regarding the sanity of a visual check of the timing belt (particularly when you refer to VWCV maintenance period, they obviously think these belts can’t last more than 4 years without being a severe risk, regardless of mileage)

Still great advice!

But the timing belt doesn't have to come off to replace an alternator, though?

Hi all,
I need help. The RAC have now told me that they wont take the caravan. Is there someone in the York area who is prepared to tow our Senator Vermont to Seaton Delaval? We will pay of course. Please help us if you can. Thankyou

Back