How Long Do Your Front Discs Last?

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
I'm about to change another set of front brakes on my T32 and something @T6180 just messaged got me wondering.

My T6 is coming up to 70k now, and it's a 2017. This next front brake change will be my 3rd set of discs, but i'm changing them not because they are worn out, although they are worn, and the pads need changing anyway, but the discs are being changed mainly because they are warped.
I mentioned to Mark that I warp discs faster than I wear them out, and he mentioned in jest that it's because i'm running banded 19s with very little air flow to cool the brakes. I'm wondering just how true this might be.

My question is how often are other T32 big brake owners changing front discs?

My first set of genuine VW ones lasted 35k. My current Pagid set have lasted nearly another 35k but as mentioned, both sets were warped and not heavily worn.
I'm now trying out some Brembo brakes, but don't expect them to last any more than my others.

Yes, I do drive hard sometimes, and I know I do brake heavily at times, but not constantly.
Sure, my van is a heavy lump, and takes some power to stop it, but I swear I used to get more miles out of discs on other vehicles.

The cooling will definitely have an impact on them, you could knock up some ducting from the front bumper to help?

It might be interesting also to put some temp paint on there and check it in a week or two, that'll tell you how hot they've been getting?

Prevoiusly (History) over the last 3 T5/T5.1/T6 vans with main dealer servicing has been a disc set every 3rd pad.

so two full sets of pads per disc,

then on the third set of pads a new disc would be fitted.

and the fronts would roughly wear twice as quick as the rears.

so two front sets to one rear set.

and a front set lasting roughly @ 20K miles (weight and driving style dependent - me, i run heavy and 50/50 mix of motoryway and city)

I've cooked the discs before on long heavy deceleration/s on a mad run - after getting out the van, the breaks were stinking of friction material and the discs had a blueish tinge to them, they were very vocal too, making pinging/tinging sounds like an exhaust !!!! (twin pot large front brakes)

You should be ok with the Brembo set up, assuming they are cross drilled as well?
which pagid pads are you using, fast road??
How about the rear disks, how long are they lasting?

Prevoiusly (History) over the last 3 T5/T5.1/T6 vans with main dealer servicing has been a disc set every 3rd pad.

so two full sets of pads per disc,

then on the third set of pads a new disc would be fitted.

and the fronts would roughly wear twice as quick as the rears.

so two front sets to one rear set.

and a front set lasting roughly @ 20K miles (weight and driving style dependent - me, i run heavy and 50/50 mix of motoryway and city)

So if i'm reading that correct, you get around 40k to front discs, against my 35k which isn't so bad.

My is also coming up to 70K (68 at the mo) and I'm on original pads and disks all round. To be fair, Nearly all my miles are motorway and whilst I can be a speed freak, I'm not that heavy on the brakes.
When it went in for its last service 60k I was advised rear pads 60% worn. Front pads still good and all disks still good.

Also the tyres have done over 30k. still got 6mm on fronts and 5mm on rears. Rotated every 10k

I was surprised the rear pads are wearing out quicker than the fronts, must be all the hand brake turns.:D

Screenshot 2019-11-20 at 20.35.41.png

You should be ok with the Brembo set up, assuming they are cross drilled as well?
which pagid pads are you using, fast road??
How about the rear disks, how long are they lasting?

Rears i've changed discs once at 40k, and they are still mint. Plus from memory, the rears were changed not because they were worn, but because they had the common corrosion issues that the genuine T6 rear brakes suffer from. The Pagid set are still nice and corrosion free.

The Brembo set are not crossed drilled no, they are just standard non drilled but vented discs as per Euro Carparts website.

Rears i've changed discs once at 40k, and they are still mint. Plus from memory, the rears were changed not because they were worn, but because they had the common corrosion issues that the genuine T6 rear brakes suffer from. The Pagid set are still nice and corrosion free.

The Brembo set are not crossed drilled no, they are just standard non drilled but vented discs as per Euro Carparts website.
The Vw ones will be identical. In fact I think brembo make the standard disks for Vw. The Vw ones are vented.
What’s the price difference in full on drilled Brembos, you may have to get drilled if you want to keep the bandinos for air flow and cooling.

The Vw ones will be identical. In fact I think brembo make the standard disks for Vw. The Vw ones are vented.
What’s the price difference in full on drilled Brembos, you may have to get drilled if you want to keep the bandinos for air flow and cooling.

Euro don't seem to do fandangled Brembo's and at 50% off, I couldn't really justify hunting down some for 10x the price.

lol:

great explanation . . . .

Brembo Brake Disc (Front)
Most modern cars have disc brakes on the front wheels, and some have disc brakes on all four wheels. The function of the brake disc is to slow down or stop the car. When the brake pedal is pressed the brake pads "squeeze" the brake disc which generates friction.

Brake discs should be replaced when they are worn below the minimum thickness, worn unevenly, warped or heavily scored. Should be replaced in pairs with new brake pads fitted at the same time.

Purple :fast rofl:

It somehow looses it's appeal when VW call it Purple, and top make it worse, they put it in capital letters.
Its my local garage, I don't take it to VW anymore as these guys have done an oil change every other 10k. Also I have no confidence in VW van centre Wrexham.
My garage uses genuine parts and oil so VW cannot invalidate the warranty. Its also next door to the pub and they drop it off when its done.
I will however educate then on the correct colour next time its in for service.:(

lol:

great explanation . . . .

Brembo Brake Disc (Front)
Most modern cars have disc brakes on the front wheels, and some have disc brakes on all four wheels. The function of the brake disc is to slow down or stop the car. When the brake pedal is pressed the brake pads "squeeze" the brake disc which generates friction.

Brake discs should be replaced when they are worn below the minimum thickness, worn unevenly, warped or heavily scored. Should be replaced in pairs with new brake pads fitted at the same time.

I just read that on Euro's website and chuckled to myself.

My is also coming up to 70K (68 at the mo) and I'm on original pads and disks all round. To be fair, Nearly all my miles are motorway and whilst I can be a speed freak, I'm not that heavy on the brakes.
When it went in for its last service 60k I was advised rear pads 60% worn. Front pads still good and all disks still good.

Also the tyres have done over 30k. still got 6mm on fronts and 5mm on rears. Rotated every 10k

I was surprised the rear pads are wearing out quicker than the fronts, must be all the hand brake turns.:D

View attachment 55004
:eek:

WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

70K on original pads and disks (i get 20K ish)

over 30K on tyres (i get 12k ish)

are you just towing the van around on the back of a low loader? ;)

:eek:

WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

70K on original pads and disks (i get 20K ish)

over 30K on tyres (i get 12k ish)

are you just towing the van around on the back of a low loader? ;)
As I said, 95% of the miles are on motorways and normally cruise is set at 58 MPH. Enjoying life in the slow lane at the mo and getting over 40mpg on a T32 204. Plus there is only me, the back seats are out and I very rarely carry any weight.
I do have the odd moment of boy racer but again this doesn't involve heavy breaking as most people see a big PURPLE van hairing towards them at 100mph they tend to get out the way.
Also, my van is stock suspension and wheels so I think that makes a huge difference to tyre wear.

EDIT : And lets not forget, I have a flappy paddle steering wheel so a lot of engine breaking goes on in my van.

Back