How Cold Is Your Aircon?

Is it euro 5 compared to euro 6 as my euro 5 gets cold but does drop the mpg .

Mine is adequate in my 17 kombi but nowhere near as effective as our transit customs with an equally large amount of space to cool.
Mine goes down to 18 but the transits go to 16 and then beyond to LOW.
I'd say VW could do a lot better in their ventilation department.

Same as this for me. I originally thought the van was knackered!

Saying that, I ran it today at fan level 2 for 2 hours (27 degrees out) and it was painfully cold in front of the vents. It seems to take an age to cool all the pipes and stuff in the dash. It was pretty damn good. Better than I remember it.

Saying that, I ran it today at fan level 2 for 2 hours (27 degrees out) and it was painfully cold in front of the vents. It seems to take an age to cool all the pipes and stuff in the dash. It was pretty damn good. Better than I remember it.
I'll have to borrow my mates gauge and check the gas level, I was wondering if they leak more than normal if not used often?

I’ve always been led to believe that lack of use makes the seals become harder and shrink and this encourage loss of R134a.

to test it properly . . . . get one or 2 digital temp gauges.

have one measure the outside ambient temp in the shade. in degC

put the second one just inside the main center vent, the start the van engine with revs above 1500.

with the heater dial set to cold and the AC switched on and set to re-circulation. monitor the temp drop every 30sec for 5mins and note the readings down.

you can try the same thing with just the blowers (no AC) and see the difference....

im trying to find the spec . . . . . but its classed as "X DegC below Ambient temp" (but i might be 10-20 degC drop in the duct(down to its min temp of say 5degC and above)

Also have you got Carista or VCDS? . . . the HVAC system is monitored, so any faults will generate a code.

Air Conditioning Service | Volkswagen UK

Proper Auto A/C Vent Temperature: How Cold Or Hot Should It Blow?

Outside temperature +20C. Engine ticking over at 830 rpm after 5 min drive. Heater dial at "LO". Blower at "2". Air flow setting at 3 o'clock - dash vents. Incoming air in the duct of centre dash vent -9C (minus!) :cool:.

My 16 plate is as cold as the Mrs Range Rover. I’ve removed the bulkhead and it’s a long wheel base but as long as the recirculating button is on its ice cold in a few mins.
I’ve always run my air con in all my vehicles every couple of weeks even in the winter just so it lubricates the seals and have them re gassed and cleaned out every 3-4 years just to keep everything fresh. :thumbsup:

I’ve always been led to believe that lack of use makes the seals become harder and shrink and this encourage loss of R134a.

When I was on a air con course with Ford a number of years ago they said that every system will slowly loose r134a refrigerant over a few years this is because the gas’s molecules are so small and fine they will seep past o-rings and seals.
The best option would be a fully sealed unit with no joints or connections but this is totally impractical/ impossible to achieve.

Had it re gassed today and he difference is unreal. It’s freezing now on the coldest setting . Anyone who’s AC is not getting cold, get it pressure checked and regassed.

I rode hope yesterday and it was colder with just the air condition OFF than on :(

With the air con off I felt cold, with the air con on it was ok but not as chilled as with the air con on. Seems like re-gassing is needed.

Ours is 3 years old and it cools the whole vehicle in no time at all.
Our A/C is always on (Automatic) because it drys the air which is useful to us. Ours is Climate Control, so maybe different
Never ever use reticulate, it is only there for creeping in heavy city traffic (and we don't do that) to save you from air pollution. I don't think it will dry the air on recirculate (but not 100% on that)

Happy with mine, but having a bulkhead (as i have) will no doubt make a tremendous difference. I wear a t shirt all year round as i feel hot even in the winter!
I quite often turn it on full chat and then once cooled i turn it off and open the windows.

42 degrees in Italy last year, and the kids were sat in the back under a blanket, so yes, it works. But my complaint would be the lack of rear vents, like the ones on the b pillar you could spec in the T5.

Back