How Cold Is Your Aircon?

Kfant1

T6 Pro
This might sound like a silly question but when I compare my golf (on lowest setting) to the van on lowest setting , the golf feels freezing and the van air on is just cool and barely makes a difference on a warm day.

Is this because the lowest is only 18 degrees , does it possibly need regassing?

It’s a 17 plate , is this covered under warranty?

What’s yours like ?

I thought the same when I first got my T6! I quickly realised that it’s because there’s a much larger space to cool down compared to a car. It takes a while longer but once upto speed it’s noticeably cold :cool:

Last edited:
Once it starts to cool down, use the recirculate function. That way you are cooling already cooled air as opposed to warmer air drawn in from outside.

I thought the same when I first got my T6! I quickly realised that it’s because there a much larger space to cool down compared to a car. It takes a while longer but once upto speed it’s noticeably cold :cool:

I thought that , but the 2 hour journey to camper jam this weekend was unbearable. Just didn’t cool down at all. Gave up in the end and dropped the windows.

Been in 38 degree heat here in Europe and it’s been pleasantly cool in the van on minimum temperature setting and fan on 2.

to test it properly . . . . get one or 2 digital temp gauges.

have one measure the outside ambient temp in the shade. in degC

put the second one just inside the main center vent, the start the van engine with revs above 1500.

with the heater dial set to cold and the AC switched on and set to re-circulation. monitor the temp drop every 30sec for 5mins and note the readings down.

you can try the same thing with just the blowers (no AC) and see the difference....

im trying to find the spec . . . . . but its classed as "X DegC below Ambient temp" (but i might be 10-20 degC drop in the duct(down to its min temp of say 5degC and above)

Also have you got Carista or VCDS? . . . the HVAC system is monitored, so any faults will generate a code.

Air Conditioning Service | Volkswagen UK

Proper Auto A/C Vent Temperature: How Cold Or Hot Should It Blow?

Last edited:
to test it properly . . . . get one or 2 digital temp gauges.

have one measure the outside ambient temp in the shade. in degC

put the second one just inside the main center vent, the start the van engine with revs above 1500.

with the heater dial set to cold and the AC switched on. monitor the temp drop every 30sec for 5mins and note the readings down.

you can try the same thing with just the blowers (no AC) and see the difference....

im trying to find the spec . . . . . but its classed as "X DegC below Ambient temp"

.thank you , I doubt il have time to do at test on the system myself , but it may be ready for a service (as VW suggests). I sell AC gas for a living so il be able to get a good deal locally.

Thank you

Air Conditioning Service | Volkswagen UK

Proper Auto A/C Vent Temperature: How Cold Or Hot Should It Blow?

I've been thinking the same about mine. I appreciate mine is a Kombi, so a big space to cool but I can drive for hours, non stop, with the air con on its lowest temp and the fan on 2. It does keep the van coolish but not cold. We went to London at the weekend in the Jag and I had to turn the temp up as the air con was Ice cold. The air con in our work Transits are more effective but to be fair, they do have bulkheads so a smaller area but the Jag is a big SUV and there's a fair amount of space in the cabin. It also feels a lot colder if you hold your hand over the vents.
I was going to take mine back to VW and ask them to check it but it seems its the norm.
Surely they should equip a larger vehicle with a more powerful air con. It can't be down to cost as these vans are not cheap.:mad:

mines cool . . . . .bu I've got a full bulkhead up front. . . .

Hmm, starting to wonder now now if its due (the perceived efficiency) to air volume in the vans with no bulkhead . . . . . .

Its the same AC system in all the vans . . . . .

Possibly a factor but I can’t hold my hand in front of the vent in the car for long but I can in the T6.

We had the compressor changed under warranty recently and now we have it set warmer than “Lo” (it’s too cold!)

Aircon service is extra to the normal service regime. Breeze wanted £75 to service my 2 1/2 year Kombi Aircon.

I feel mines is really cold and tend to raise the temp , I would be curious to know if all the a/c systems are the same , I also have a button with max a/c and it basically just switches to tornado mode in the van .

Back