Homemade kombi bed

Stevef37

Anyone made thier own kombi bed out of steel, looking for ideas and pictures if you have any, would like to build one that is easy to assemble and put up when at desired destination

I’ve seen lots of DIY examples on the forum - you might need to invest some time in searching.

One of the simplest I remember is carpet covered ply boards on cut to size Ikea screw on table legs. Easy to store when not in use (unlike a frame)

I’ve seen lots of DIY examples on the forum - you might need to invest some time in searching.

One of the simplest I remember is carpet covered ply boards on cut to size Ikea screw on table legs. Easy to store when not in use (unlike a frame)
I have spent many hours searching but have not found anything that is made of steel and is easily removable which is why I was asking.

Seen things like the exploria etc but all seem to be a pretty big lump to remove and not a 5-10 min job

I'm planning on building one using tube clamps and tube. Then will make a collapsible bed base from ply. Hoping to fit this whilst still being able to keep all seats in and make use of my sliding MTB tray with bikes on. I don't own a welder, so these tube clamps will be perfect for me and can dismantle quickly.

I had the same issue and after making an initial bed out of timber (worked well but pain to fit and store) I went for the Van King bed. Storage not a problem as keep it in the van all the time, also offers additional sound deadening. When I ride at the weekend, simply remove mattress, base and cross members (only takes a few minutes) and leave the sides bolted in. Fix bike by the fork to a timber that I fixed across the tie down points (might get one of the forty winks bike holders though). Works fine for me as the van is basically my daily runner, rather than a working van...

I'm planning on building one using tube clamps and tube. Then will make a collapsible bed base from ply. Hoping to fit this whilst still being able to keep all seats in and make use of my sliding MTB tray with bikes on. I don't own a welder, so these tube clamps will be perfect for me and can dismantle quickly.

I was considering the same to keeps costs down and to suit personal needs, I've made a few things already using scaffold at home such as my office desk and a breakfast table in our kitchen. I haven't completely given up on the idea yet! :)

Forty winks, from what I understand is fixed just above the arches so becomes difficult with bikes which is a pity.
Van king is more expensive but can be broken down as @Whitty mentions, they used to sell the frame/boards without the cushions which would have been ideal for us. If this was an option we'd probably buy one.

I initially had a futon strapped to the back of the triple seat, it was a bit cumbersome and heavy but worked very well.

Sorry @Stevef37 for hijacking the thread!

I was considering the same to keeps costs down and to suit personal needs, I've made a few things already using scaffold at home such as my office desk and a breakfast table in our kitchen. I haven't completely given up on the idea yet! :)

Forty winks, from what I understand is fixed just above the arches so becomes difficult with bikes which is a pity.
Van king is more expensive but can be broken down as @Whitty mentions, they used to sell the frame/boards without the cushions which would have been ideal for us. If this was an option we'd probably buy one.

I initially had a futon strapped to the back of the triple seat, it was a bit cumbersome and heavy but worked very well.

Sorry @Stevef37 for hijacking the thread!
I need to carry a motorbike so getting to the track and then assemble the bed, looking at a frame on both sides fixed the folding boards that will be kept on the floor then put on the bed when I need the bed, just trying to get some ideas

Going to modify my Van King so that I can have a 3/4 width bed and storage for bike whilst at events. Plan to get shorter cross members (width of the double seat), then move the left side over and add a couple of extra bars across the bottom. New bit of plywood and then turn the back part of the mattress around. Just need some extra foam for the bit over seat backs. Did the same with the timber set up I did before and worked well.

Going to modify my Van King so that I can have a 3/4 width bed and storage for bike whilst at events. Plan to get shorter cross members (width of the double seat), then move the left side over and add a couple of extra bars across the bottom. New bit of plywood and then turn the back part of the mattress around. Just need some extra foam for the bit over seat backs. Did the same with the timber set up I did before and worked well.
Could you take some pics for me please, want to see how the boards slide in and how the cross beams are attached, this so far looks like the best option for me to modify and make myself so all is removable

I've got the forty winks, I can fit two bikes in with the bed in place, one slides underneath and the other one width ways across the back. As people have said it also doubles up as a nice parcel shelf, I'm going to add some extra storage to mine at some point.

Taking it out is 4 bolts, fairly easy on your own.

One thing to think about, I like is how solid it is, I'd be happy crashing with that bolted in the back it's not going anywhere bolted to the floor and 3rd row seat belt mount.

Could you take some pics for me please, want to see how the boards slide in and how the cross beams are attached, this so far looks like the best option for me to modify and make myself so all is removable
Hi there, take a look at the video on the Van King. Simple assembly. Two sides that bolt down on to the lashing points, as before these can be left in when bed not required. 3 x cross bars that fix from underneath onto studs and secured with thumb screws. Then slide the wood base into the channels on each side and place mattress on top. Mattress is in 3 sections that zip together.

My van is a kombi with a ply lined back, including boxed in arches

I made a slot together bed that can be a single or a king size double. Can fit a bike down the side, bicycle or motorcycle. Very specific to my van as it uses the boxed in wheel arches, but also stores flat inside the van or when stored. I didn't want to have a big frame in there the whole time, I lob bikes in whole, diagonally, and also put a buggy whole in the back so want the flexibility of nothing in the boot

Back