Home CCTV kits

Jay

Gas Engineer - Baxi Boilers
T6 Guru
A house up the road was broken into a couple of days ago and the car keys stolen. This has got me looking into some security. Im in the process of changing the locks, and have spent the day installing a burgler alarm. The next stage is some cctv.

Im after a couple of half decent ip cameras but the budget is already stretched.

Has anyome got any recomendations of spec or brand i should be looking at?

Thanks.

Jay

I've sold quite a few wireless foscam systems lately.

Cracking quality and the feedback I've had has been excellent. Just changing out our own NVR for the Foscam one this week.

We can do a set with 4 cameras for £349 if you are interested

Just ordered the hiwatch you recommended. Hope its easier to use than the cobra I've got.

Maybe we can open this up a bit.....

I am on my 3rd dvr now and each time I find they have slighty different ways of searching events etc. For example they all do the basics, but when it comes to quickly reviewing the nightly goings on, thats when it gets frustrating.
For example, I have continous record on all chanels and movement set to log event.
On my first one it allowed me so search for all movement events and displayed them in a list, I select the first and it plays the event for it’s duration (movement plus 3 seconds before and 5 after) then immediately jumped to the next event and so on, which is perfect for quick review.
However the second one I have is a phoenix, all setup the same but when I come to view the events and I play the first event, when It gets to the end of the event instead of moving on to the next event it just keeps playing because of the continuous recording in between...
Then I put a sentinel in for my friends around the corner and that has a completely different way to search events but you end up with the same issue of not being able to quickly view events when the system is set to continous record.

Also.. (this is turning in a rant now) why don’t any of these stytems ever get a software upgrade...

So I am going to upgrade my system at home now, I want to replace my aging AHD dome system with the best quality picture I can get out of shotgun coax, so what are we suggesting?

I did also think about leaving what I have for general stuff but installing a mobotix ip unit with its fancy motion detector and have that out the front??

Last edited:
So I am going to upgrade my system at home now, I want to replace my aging AHD dome system with the best quality picture I can get out of shotgun coax, so what are we suggesting??

Any suggestions?

What is the difference between a external eyeball dome camera and a turret camera? they seems to be just the lighting arrangement?

what do the experts think of this;
Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I 8MP Turret Network Camera

Mobotix are very expensive for what they are, Hikvision are excellent for price/quality, if you want to replace your existing coax units then look at their TVI range, you can buy a hybrid dvr that takes analogue and ip cameras

I’m leading towards leaving my ahd in place and adding the Hikvision unit above as I have a QNAP with surveillance station on it..

I'm happy with the highwatch , very easy to set up , the guarding vision mobile app is fine and i used my existing coax cameras. I like the fact you can put the dvr in the loft as you can access replay ect from the app . once set up there is no real need to have direct access to the dvr. I used my own hard drive to keep costs down . All plug and play .

Just to revive this thread..

Does anyone have any perimeter security that sends them a phone notification, in a similar fashion to the Ring doorbell system, but using sensors mounted nearer your perimeter?

Our front door is at the side of the house, on the driveway. We have a brick front-wall and a fence post and panel side-wall.
I’d like to have a covert sensor affixed inside the front wall, at say 1m high, that will notify me if someone walks up the driveway.

Back