Home CCTV kits

I had my house alarm serviced yesterday, so whilst they were here I asked about upgrading one of my cameras. So for £200 they'll fit one of the Dahua Starlight jobbies.

Based on the nightime pictures above from @Loz they look like a great investment.

I've had a nightmare with cctv involving my neighbour and the police!

A very long story short, she damaged my van, owned up to it then refused to pay for it. now she has owned up to the insurance company its getting fixed as we speak. We have a shared garden which hasn't been an issue at all until now. She has claimed ownership of the shed which has been shared all the time i've lived there.... anyway. She threatened to throw out all of my stuff so I put a cheap quick cctv on my van and on the shed and then she claimed it was illegal to have a camera.

Just a word of caution to people on here, have a read of the ICO web-site and familiarize yourself with the rules and regs. CCTV is legal and you can have it , but if youre recording someone else's property then they can ask to see the data.

She is a psycho and is arguing until she gets her way, but one thing is for sure, i'm keeping the cameras.

You are correct about the ICO, but the reality is that they have trouble coping with the work that big business and the public sector throws up.

Meanwhile, a neighbour dispute would struggle to get a hello letter if anything
So don’t worry

I've a Sansco kit from Amazon. It has a 1080p image, excellent in the day but. b/w at night. The infra-red picture is sharp but you lose number plate details (the quality of some of the night video shown in this thread is outstanding!). It's an 8 channel kit that came with 4 cameras for about £120. Added a 2tb disk so about £170 all in. Routed the cables myself so a cheap install. Acts as a deterrent I suppose. There are many other houses without CCTV so I assume they would probably be preferable targets to thieves.

Although if they want a vehicle, cameras are unlikely to make much of a difference.

I'm just resurrecting this thread from last year to seek some advice on finding the best solution for a camera that doesn't need mains power. Does such a unit exist that is worth buying? My bus is parked in front of a garage, which is at the bottom of the garden behind a fence. I can only see the roof of my bus from the house and oblivious to anything going on. I fear it is a bit of a 'dark corner' and would like to get something in place soon. Any tips?
(Picture added for some context, although not particularly useful I'm sure. I am taking the picture with a row of 4 garages behind me. As you can see, its a good corner to hide away in).
Inked1st Day_LI.jpg

I'm just resurrecting this thread from last year to seek some advice on finding the best solution for a camera that doesn't need mains power. Does such a unit exist that is worth buying? My bus is parked in front of a garage, which is at the bottom of the garden behind a fence. I can only see the roof of my bus from the house and oblivious to anything going on. I fear it is a bit of a 'dark corner' and would like to get something in place soon. Any tips?
(Picture added for some context, although not particularly useful I'm sure. I am taking the picture with a row of 4 garages behind me. As you can see, its a good corner to hide away in).
View attachment 101476
Understand your nervousness. I’d be interested in the replies that come in. I think there are some CCTV gurus on here

At work we’ve extensively used the Netgear Arlo system and it’s been very good for monitoring behaviour (drunks/drugs/prostitutes in communal bin stores), but the camera needs to be in range of the base station to work.

But realistically, in the dead of night, a scrote with a hoodie on isn’t likely to be identifiable unless you add floodlights too.

At work we’ve extensively used the Netgear Arlo system and it’s been very good for monitoring behaviour (drunks/drugs/prostitutes in communal bin stores), but the camera needs to be in range of the base station to work.

But realistically, in the dead of night, a scrote with a hoodie on isn’t likely to be identifiable unless you add floodlights too.
I know what you're saying, but i think i'm also thinking along the lines of being able to react to something if an alert can be raised. We have a 9 month old daughter here, so we are sleeping light, so if i can get an alert on my phone - the chances are i can hang out the window and throw a milk bottle down the garden!!!

Having only had the new ride for a week, I think the nerves are getting the better of me.

I know what you're saying, but i think i'm also thinking along the lines of being able to react to something if an alert can be raised. We have a 9 month old daughter here, so we are sleeping light, so if i can get an alert on my phone - the chances are i can hang out the window and throw a milk bottle down the garden!!!
If you’ve got a good shot, you could have some petrol in that milk bottle....just saying!!!

RING doorbell?

1612285051944.png

this one is fitted iside the van . . . . (battery lasts about 3 weeks)

i use a WIFI dongle (SIM card based) - that i leave in the van - so i can look in at any time.

1612285135291.png

1612285372221.png

1612285601144.png

example - leaving work today / . . . .

View attachment 101476
From what i'm led to believe if you had a dash cam fitted front and rear, hard wired, would that record any activity when in 'park' mode and then you would be alerted and viewable on your phone? I realise that this would not capture as broad a picture as CCTV but im not sure you will find the 'perfect' set up and will have to compromise somewhere along the line possibly. I suppose at the end of the day depends what budget you feel you would want to spend. Tricky one.

here is another option.

4K CCTV (4x cams plus recorder etc)

but the point is the camera is run via just one CAT5 cable . . . from the recorder to the camera

so plug in the recorder in the house or garage . .

the run the CAT5 cable down to the Van area, then screw the camera up and plug it in . . . job done.

if i remember correctly the kit even comes with pre-terminated cables.

1612285814395.png

1612285955278.png

1612285971534.png

1612285983904.png

The NEOS smart cam's are quite discrete, they come in white but you can get a good range of plastidip sprays at B&Q nowadays to camouflage them (and it peels off when you don't need it anymore), they are USB powered so would work off a leisure battery for some time (better if it was solar recharged) can be set up to send an alert on motion detection or sound detection and record clips to the cloud for you to watch from your phone.
You can get external mounts for them, and NEOS now do PIR and magnetic contacts as well as water temperature and humidity sensors.
The only downside is it would need to be in range of a wifi signal.

I’ve got a Yi camera inside my van. It runs off the leisure batteries or from a ordinary usb phone battery pack. It records to the cloud on my Wi-fi when on the drive as it’s in range, but it also to an SD card in it.
I have one of these in the garage too. Both work off of an app on my phone, and has movement sensing notification and a microphone and speaker so you can surprise folks with it.
I’m gobsmacked by the quality, even in pitch black.
My family have bought several on the back of these.
Not bad for @£20. Here’s a pic.

0BD7AF7F-DD70-4A0E-BB74-E6213B7EF36E.jpeg
I also have an excellent external Hikvision house mounted cctv system too, purchased from one of our contributors (Amdowney) on here at a very reasonable price.

Last edited:
Hey guys, thought I would chime in on a few of the comments above. (just clocked that pun before I posted this :p)

First off with the mention of battery powered, we have predominantly been dealing in wired (which is always the most reliable and professional option) but could ignore the need for this no more, appreciating some want/need the simple option and are happy with the level of protection provided (with the technology ever improving).

After extensive research, following on from the popularity of Ring Doorbells with a strong call for a battery doorbell offering (we bought in a few rings to trial) we have just added to our site a few of the EUFY products. The doorbell and pro cameras have all won 'best of awards' with an incredible 6 -12 months battery life. What's best about EUFY though is, after buying the one kit with the Homehub 2 - you can then simply add other devices as (addons) - such as a doorbell or alarm sensors, if you already own a camera kit and vice versa.
EUFY NOW LISTED HERE
eufy_cam2_pro_kit.jpg.jpg

Unlike ring etc where you have to pair the bell to your existing wifi (always fun and something you'll likely do more than once), the home hub plugs into your router to create it's own wifi purely for it's own devices. What's more it also features 16gb of onboard storage (soon to be expanded by USB I'm told) so you have no ongoing subscription fees plus it has an inbuilt speaker so it acts as the doorbell chime also - A 3 in one win over Ring!

Oh yeah the above EUFY products are 2K or 4 megapixel which is more than enough - don't be duped into buying the cheapest 4k kit you can find on Amazon for these reasons:

4K CCTV: The marketing bandwagon producing poor CCTV cameras

The thing to note with all of the above however is all cams will be the ultra wide angle option, so meant for low down near range (ish) use and as ever wireless has it's limits so for bigger properties, you want proper mostly wired IP tech (ie Hikvision).

Ad

Last edited:
Hey guys, thought I would chime in on a few of the comments above. (just clocked that pun before I posted this :p)

First off with the mention of battery powered, we have predominantly been dealing in wired (which is always the most reliable and professional option) but could ignore the need for this no more, appreciating some want/need the simple option and are happy with the level of protection provided.

After extensive research, following on from the popularity of Ring Doorbells with a strong call for a battery doorbell offering (we bought in a few rings to trial) we have just added to our site a few of the EUFY products. The doorbell and pro cameras have all won 'best of awards' with an incredible 6 -12 months battery life. What's best about EUFY though is, after buying the one kit with the Homehub 2 - you can then simply add other devices as (addons) - such as a doorbell or alarm sensors, if you already own a camera kit and vice versa.

EUFY NOW LISTED HERE

View attachment 101529

Unlike ring etc where you have to pair the bell to your existing wifi (always fun and something you'll likely do more than once), the home hub plugs into your router to create it's own wifi purely for it's own devices. What's more it also features 16gb of onboard storage (soon to be expanded by USB I'm told) so you have no ongoing subscription fees plus it has an inbuilt speaker so it acts as the doorbell chime also - A 3 in one win over Ring!

Oh yeah the above EUFY products are 2K or 4 megapixel which is more than enough - don't be duped into buying the cheapest 4k kit you can find on Amazon for these reasons:

4K CCTV: The marketing bandwagon producing poor CCTV cameras

The thing to note with all of the above however is all cams will be the ultra wide angle option, so meant for low down near range (ish) use and as ever wireless has it's limits so for bigger properties, you want proper mostly wired IP tech (ie Hikvision).

Ad
Brilliant post! Thanks for that. Are you in the trade?

Back