Home CCTV kits

prime on Amazon is worth looking at ring cameras with healthy discounts! finishing in t-minus 2hrs

I've just put an order in for two (not the dual pack) neos smart cam's @ £18.99 to supplement my fixed camera system.

Put a nest door bell in the other week. So far very impressed with quality and notifications. Almost instantly comes through to my phone when pressed and constantly monitoring for motion or people. Not cheap and the subs suck but it just works so happy to pay.

Hi all,

A mate has recently caught some nightime activity on his CCTV with a guy trying to get into his vehicles on the drive.

It's got me thinking maybe some CCTV might be a wise investment for my house.
Does anyone have recommendations for brands or decent kits.

The easier to use the better.Probably looking at a 3 camera system.

Cheers

I have this on my garage pointing at my van (parked on the drive).

1591350498864.png

Also have a swann cctv system covering it but would recommend the ring products. very simple and easy to install.

*App screenshot added

1591351885644.png

Last edited:
I have Foscam IP cameras but the rear camera has recently stopped working for some reason, the front is going fine though. I have a recorder for them and I see can them on an app on my phone, all free (if you don’t mind possible intrusion from the Chinese government ;) ). The functions for reviewing footage are a bit awkward but it has been happily recording and overwriting in about a monthly loop now for a few years.

I caught someone going through the bins on it recently so was able to get a screen grab and forward to the police.

I have a ring doorbell but they want you to take a contract to view non live recordings so only use that when the door rings. Also takes a while to open and connect so gets a bit annoying (this might be due to my woeful Wi-fi though)2B37F1A2-B76C-40E7-9E07-3D391E657667.png

Second vote for nest. If you have good internet they work great and push instant notifications of activity within marked zones.

The only thing i would say about Nest, Ring and the like is look at the 'ecosystem' - all the other products in the range that you might like to add to over time and control with the app. Other than potential subscriptions they are all 'reasonably' comparable in terms of doing what yo want currently.

I have a nest one in my garage (for my motorcycles). Works great and very easy to set up.

Beware though, I have a resident spider that likes setting it off and theres a moth or two that also likes playing knock down ginger with me.

I'm running probably what some would consider a more commercial solution - 10 4k POE IP cams, Blue Iris software installed on a VM in my 'home' Dell rack server. its running 24x7 giving me many days of footage. currently dabbling in AI, so the ability to detect specific objects (people, dogs, birds, cars etc) and report accordingly...it started out as security for my rural property and sorta turned in to a hobby of its own!

If you want a cheapish solution have a look at EZVIZ. We've got a mix of cameras covering the front door and front and back of the house including one of those. You can use it with a subscription cloud service or stick a memory card in and it will record on a loop that lasts about a month on a 64GB card (IIRC). Video quality is OK and it has 2 way audio, selective area motion sensing and alarms, night vision and you can press a button in the app to set of a siren / alarm noise. We pay £43 for one late last year but they are on Amazon now for £80. The only real issue that I found is that you can have an app for Windows 10, IOS or Android but NOT MacOS which would be nice to have but is not a deal breaker.

Last edited:
I have a nest one in my garage (for my motorcycles). Works great and very easy to set up.

Beware though, I have a resident spider that likes setting it off and theres a moth or two that also likes playing knock down ginger with me.

Yeah we get spider webs on the cameras. Apparently they like the IR.

As I speak, I've had 4 alarms today. Geoff the spindly spider is doing his trapeze act.

I’ve switched the alarms off because they mostly display a spiders web or a spider in a spiders webs. It’s crazy how during the day it seems perfectly clear then the infrared turns on and you can see the web that was there all along

Back