Home CCTV kits

I've found the ring doorbell the best for remote alarm events

I've installed one in a remote shed using a 4G SIM WIFI router to get it on the net, the ring battery lasts about a month and the wifi usb device lasts about a week on a 20000mah battery pack.

My Hikvision can send me a screenshot if movement is triggered between 23:00-06:00 here is an example.
24DCBAAB-6E90-4C3D-85B8-ED4DBC36CE8F.jpeg

Milko was early that day :)

Last edited:
I use Blink cameras inside and out to do much the same thing, send me an alert if motion is detected during times you schedule, recording video and with the option to take a screenshot or watch live

I use a hybrid system, dedicated 4MP cameras back to a NVR and ring cameras. Ring is good for notifications, but honestly the actual quality can’t compare to a dedicated IP camera. They are only 1080p, where now you can get 8K IP cameras.

I have 4 sony starvis cameras on my system, their night-time picture quality is very good. This is after midnight in October with just the light from the streetlampsScreenshot_2018-10-04-06-33-51-34.png

Just to revive this thread..

Does anyone have any perimeter security that sends them a phone notification, in a similar fashion to the Ring doorbell system, but using sensors mounted nearer your perimeter?

Our front door is at the side of the house, on the driveway. We have a brick front-wall and a fence post and panel side-wall.
I’d like to have a covert sensor affixed inside the front wall, at say 1m high, that will notify me if someone walks up the driveway.

I have a ring door bell on my front door and the motion sensor. Its really good. It picks anyone who enters the drive and you can adjust the sensor range. Must be something else on the market you could use. Or just use the bell as a sensor on the front of the house as long as you can get wifi. Expensive way of doing it though?

I have a couple of PIR sensors that chime in the house when someone/something goes down the drive or passes through the sensor sweep in the back garden, I got 2 different versions so I can tell which one has been activated (one chimes twice, the other 3 times). https://www.amazon.co.uk/4VWIN-Secu...riveway+alarm&qid=1562794692&s=gateway&sr=8-7
They alerted me to someone trying to break into my garage last year at 1am but obviously won't work if I'm out of earshot.
You can get similar things with a sim card in them, but they eat batteries so would have to be mains powered to be useful.
You can set the CCTV system to send an email each time it has an event (motion in highlighted area of picture) but I think you'd get a pretty full mailbox very quickly. (cobwebs, lights from passing cars and moths can activate the alarm events)

Here is the pic I got by email last night.
D2427513-5683-4BB9-B2CD-F8351A3BDC94.jpeg
Our regular hedgehog, he doesn’t normally feature but he tripped the pir for the lights and the lights coming on triggered an event on the camera.

I use Blink cameras inside and out to do much the same thing, send me an alert if motion is detected during times you schedule, recording video and with the option to take a screenshot or watch live
Blink works for me too.
No subscription required, picture quality seems good, wireless so easy to set up (batteries are supposed to last up to 2 years - I'm on 7 months & counting). The standard mounts are no good for outside though - far too flimsy, but others are available.

Back