Home CCTV kits

@amdowney stumbled across this thread at the perfect time... just bought a house and looking to add a few cameras. I think 5 cameras would be needed and due to the distances i guess a wifi based system and powered instead of batteries would be best ? what would you suggest that offers a decent day/night picture?

No interest in linking to alexa or other listening devices.

any suggestions welcome.

red dots are my thoughts of camera locations, clockwise from top - side of house and side area, back of house covering entries, side of house inc garden, garage entry towards the street, house entry and basement stairs.

Capture1.JPG

After using Eufy Solocam S40 camera in my garden for ages, I decided I wanted another one for a different area of garden and decided I'd buy another S40 camera because I'm very pleased with it and want everything in one app.

So, I was about press "buy now" and it turns out that at £199 for the camera alone it is much cheaper to buy this as a bundle at £164 which gets a Eufy Solo indoorCam P24 in addition to the S40.

So, this saved me £35 and gave me a free indoor camera that I didn't think I wanted! (Sorry Greta!)

Anyway, it turns out that the P24 Indoor Cam (that I didn't need) is flipping awesome! It zooms and pans and follows movement automatically and I couldn't help but wish I had a use for it.

Then I thought..... hang on! I have a stupidly overpriced van that I've made look rather appealing to the run of the mill vehicle thief!

The camera runs off a micro-usb cable, so I threw it on my dash and plugged it into a usb/fag socket plug.

It captures everything with amazing clarity and it's amplified sound and great video quality shows me 360 degree coverage.

For me this includes the view out the front windows and windscreen which I really wanted..... I just didn't know it! An additional bonus is that the camera provides full 360 degree of the interior for when van is unattended.

I made up a wedge so that the camera sits flat(ish) when placed on the dash but even before I did this it is still brilliant!

Only thing is that the night-vision needs to be off to avoid glare if you're wanting to look through the windscreen, but I have security lights in the area so if there's any movement at night I'll capture it in full colour........ unless of course it's raining!..... I'm sure burglars don't work in the rain! :think smile bounce:
If it turns out they do, then I'll see them enter my van and steal it!

Final note:
Due to having solid 4G Wi-Fi in my van, this is a good failsafe CCTV as my other CCTV cameras use my home Wi-Fi. With a mixture of both I have some additional protection and I saved £35 and got this for nowt! Whoop!
Hi @Samro, where did you find this deal for £164? Can't find it anywhere, but would be very interested :thumbsup:

If you can get your cameras to overlap each other.

You might want to factor in at least one hidden and low mounted cameras, how many times do you see a shot from a high camera showing hoodies and or baseball caps which easily thwart a face shot.

I’m this shot, the camera can’t be seen until you are right up to the door and looking to press the doorbell and then they are looking right at it.

F289E80F-51F7-49CF-A465-384F2E60149C.jpeg

Hi @Samro, where did you find this deal for £164? Can't find it anywhere, but would be very interested :thumbsup:
It was a link within the eufy app itself. I've just looked and cant find the "bundles" area now.

I reckon i was lucky. Maybe a Valentines deal...................Nothing says "I love you" like a CCTV camera!

Just a simple camera from Yi.
They are about £30 plus SD card and the spec is pretty good for the cost.

LINKY

I wouldn’t use it as a replacement for a proper wired system, but it’s great for indoors checking on the dogs/ babysitting etc.

My home system is Hikvision bought from amdowney on here, excellent service and I’d happily recommend his company.

@amdowney stumbled across this thread at the perfect time... just bought a house and looking to add a few cameras. I think 5 cameras would be needed and due to the distances i guess a wifi based system and powered instead of batteries would be best ? what would you suggest that offers a decent day/night picture?

any suggestions welcome.

red dots are my thoughts of camera locations, clockwise from top - side of house and side area, back of house covering entries, side of house inc garden, garage entry towards the street, house entry and basement stairs.

View attachment 145877
I am no expert on this topic, but I have got 4 Eufy Cameras (Now 5, if you include the toy indoor one that I mentioned in this thread) and find them all excellent.
There are clever people who will probably suggest that the Eufy system is not a full on all singing system, but for me it works very, very well.

My Solar powered S40 Cams are especially good insofar that they hold their charge and don't go flat even in the winter so long as you ensure that they are pretty much south facing. It is 2k video and the sound that is picked up is good enough to hear a butterfly fart!
The S40 can differentiate between people and general movement which is good, as is the scheduling functionality.

I also have their floodlight camera which I think is good, but this records all movement and does not differentiate between people, cars or trees. It is also wired and REALLY bright. Good if you have power though. I've had this for several years and its been flawless.

All of my cameras record on the cloud and if you want more than 24 hours worth of recordings stored it will cost £10 a month, but to be honest I'm ok with just 24 hours worth of recordings as if there is anything to see i can save it to my phone/tablet. I think that you can set up to record to NAS, etc.

Last edited:
I've been looking to add a small IP camera to my existing system, something like this
to hide behind some fascia next to my front door, would need to be Starvis or equivalent as no IR lighting would be available (or it would be seen) but I can't find any in stock anywhere.
Anyone know where I might get one?

I can't see one on his website, though I may be able to take the innards out of a regular starvis camera and use that.
I did the same on my upwards looking cameraIMG_20220301_095139.jpg

any suggestions welcome.

View attachment 145877
Sorry have had a hectic few weeks and didn't seem to get an alert to check back here!

Why wifi based? They can have issues... We normally suggest wired (single wire for each cam all back to one location, usually the recorder in the loft perhaps).

I would check these its with the VALE systems offering the better night time performance: 5-8 camera IP kits : CCTV Kits

Lower down/close range cameras are ideal in a 2.8mm lens higher up the 4mm. Turrets are a good all arounder.

Back