Hilo Surf Recall

Carbon13

T6 Pro
It looks like HiLo are recalling their cheaper Surf roof for safety reasons. Temporarily adding some straps and also adding some metal discs to strengthen the roof where it may not have been manufactured incorrectly......still safe to 70mph though but with a warning of 'involuntary elevation of the roof whilst in transit' so that's all ok.

Maybe invest in some Gorilla Glue as well just to be sure :whistle:

Last edited:
It looks like HiLo are recalling their cheaper Surf roof for safety reasons. Temporarily adding some straps and also adding some metal discs to strengthen the roof where it may not have been manufactured incorrectly......still safe to 70mph though but with a warning of 'involuntary elevation of the roof whilst in transit' so that's all ok.

Maybe invest in some Gorilla Glue as well just to be sure :whistle:
Do you happen to have a link to were you saw this . A M8 of mine was looking at the hilo for his T5 ?

Or drive around in reverse?
It’s definitely an issue with an unregulated industry. That’s why I researched and chose TUV approved kit. Maybe being boring but hey ho....

Just call it a “James bond” button. Hit 71, eject the roof, the annoying kids and wife are deposited as well, happy days. :rofl:
Could use it as a deterrent “if you don’t pipe down and behave, i’ll do it, i’ll accelerate to 71, you see if I don’t!”

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
Has anyone had their Van recalled, and discs fitted to the roof following the recall on these Surf roofs?

This is what I found out -only by email, as they refuse to answer the phone- today, only 5 days before I have to take it from Northampton to Preston leave it for 3 days, then return to collect it. All at my cost of course.

They have asked me for the RAL colour, so it must be visible

I bought the roof to give it a stealth look, (see photo) and am dismayed that the roofline my be spoilt, especially as the van is now converted and worth a fortune.

If I can't see a finished picture after the recall, I am minded to risk leaving it alone, as it has never given any problems despite journeys all over Europe.

20200427_151822.jpg

Has anyone had their Van recalled, and discs fitted to the roof following the recall on these Surf roofs?

This is what I found out -only by email, as they refuse to answer the phone- today, only 5 days before I have to take it from Northampton to Preston leave it for 3 days, then return to collect it. All at my cost of course.

They have asked me for the RAL colour, so it must be visible

I bought the roof to give it a stealth look, (see photo) and am dismayed that the roofline my be spoilt, especially as the van is now converted and worth a fortune.

If I can't see a finished picture after the recall, I am minded to risk leaving it alone, as it has never given any problems despite journeys all over Europe.

View attachment 136813
No courtesy van/car?!! Bad form

Back