Hilo Roof install process

Situation update. Disconnected this plug at the rear of nearside D-pillar, nothing was loose so gave it a good old blow through, put it back together, front and rear sensor now working as is camera.
A7B2DD3D-8A0A-4772-AE8D-2166C6BB0B2F.jpeg
Done several tests (including reversing up to my trailer and stopping with the tow ball directly under the trailer hitch) and everything seems to be working as it should.
Phew, thank goodness for that! Properly worried for a while......
Cheers for the advice @Deaky. Must have had a bit of metal dust in the contacts.
Now just need to get them to address the paint rubbing on the rear corners of the original roof, and add a bit of protective padding once done.

Last edited:
The other thing worthy of note, that I didn’t post up previously, is that this is the new Aluminium product! I heard at CamperMart that Hilo were just starting to do an aluminium version. Clearly the benefits of ally over steel are down to the weight. I seized on it as soon as I heard about it as a steel unit will alter the centre of balance within the van. Whilst the ally unit is heavier than the original roof, I can’t say I have noticed any alteration in cornering stability. However to balance out that arguement, I am running B14’s so that may be equally responsible. Must admit that i’ve not heard the knocking on the front B14’s since picking the van up. Strange in itself, perhaps the additional weight has loaded the suspension better?????? Weird but will monitor.
It has however cost me around 5mpg though. But bugger it, it’s a van, and now I can sit on the roof and watch the kids sailing, with a cuppa.
186B22F2-097C-4388-BCE5-CD79553FC2D1.jpeg

The other thing worthy of note, that I didn’t post up previously, is that this is the new Aluminium product! I heard at CamperMart that Hilo were just starting to do an aluminium version. Clearly the benefits of ally over steel are down to the weight. I seized on it as soon as I heard about it as a steel unit will alter the centre of balance within the van. Whilst the ally unit is heavier than the original roof, I can’t say I have noticed any alteration in cornering stability. However to balance out that arguement, I am running B14’s so that may be equally responsible. Must admit that i’ve not heard the knocking on the front B14’s since picking the van up. Strange in itself, perhaps the additional weight has loaded the suspension better?????? Weird but will monitor.
It has however cost me around 5mpg though. But bugger it, it’s a van, and now I can sit on the roof and watch the kids sailing, with a cuppa.
View attachment 22405
Hi DaveyB, just about to book my candy white lwb t32 for the Hilo scenic. Did you opt for a white gel roof, I feel I have to go for the black as the two whites will be massively obvious.

Being done by Blue sky ... Going to see how close the white is to candy white, tomorrow, as would rather not pay the extra to have it specially colour matched !

Being done by Blue sky ... Going to see how close the white is to candy white, tomorrow, as would rather not pay the extra to have it specially colour matched !
Mine got painted as part of the install costs, because the installer had the dimples where the metal Hilo discs used to go filled in. Don’t have that issue anymore with the way the new roof fixes down.

View attachment 22405

@DaveyB mate you know there is a bloke sat on your van.. ?.

Thank you @Fish
@Victors Vee Dub @DaveyB @HiLo Roofs
If you could put my mind at rest as i have ordered my hilo sport, although have been informed that the standard gel coat white isn't an exact match to my candy white van. Does/will it stand out enough for me to opt for the black option or should it be a good enough match for me to stick with the standard white?
Your help and advice would be greatly apprciated.

Hi @Bigdazd,
I've been to look at the white roof on a candy white van and you'd have to be there with a magnifying glass to spot the fact that they're not colour matched. As the profile is so low you have very little to see from the side to compare it with the body, I'm ocd about my cars, and I can happily live with this 'non-conformity'

@Victors Vee Dub absolutely awsome, thank you very much for your reply.
Phew, it has put my mind at rest, i will contact the fitter today and let him know to go with the white.
Onwards and upwards with the conversion, booked in for the hilo sport roof (in white) with solar panel, windows all round, sound proofing, insulating, flooring inc combi step and threashold and a titan rock and roll bed.
Thanks again.

@Bigdazd, Do you mind me asking where are you having your roof done, I'm about to sign on the dotted line for mine and it seems I'm having all the same things as you done
Hi.
I'm having mine done at Jaibow in Holmfirth.
When i first got my van i did over 2k miles traveling about looking at, and enquiring to everyman and his dog (converters).
Myself and my wife both liked Jason and his company, nothing was ever too much trouble. Granted i could have gone for a cheaper conversion company, although i do believe that you sometimes have to go with what you see in the flesh.

Having spoken with several owners who have had their vans converted at Jaibow, this is what made us decide in the end. Listening and looking at already converted vans is essential in making your mind up.

Will keep everyone updated with pics and feedback of the process.

Back