Hilo Roof install process

You could avoid swarf by taping a sheet under neath roof to sag down, then use a nibbler to remove roof skin, followed by a saw (elec or air) for ribs.. Then gather sheet up and remove like a bag when ready.. Localised swarf such as from drilling can be collected by holding a catch tray underneath area.. This is all in addition to protective dust sheets etc.. Might be classed as above and beyond, but seperates the men from the boys.. My take anyway.. Chin up it can be done m8, just needs a bit of military planning.. Just make sure the officer with the map has come up through the ranks.. Otherwise he will be holding it upside down! :eek::rofl::whistle::thumbsup:

Satnav/gps was probably invented by an American sig fed up with trying to think of ways to describe how to get to a location, to an officer without a clue without giving either location away to unwelcome ears.. :whistle: Now it just entails instruction on the "proper" use of a gps unit.. :eek::rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Satnav/gps was probably invented by an American sig fed up with trying to think of ways to describe how to get to a location, to an officer without a clue without giving either location away to unwelcome ears.. :whistle: Now it just entails instruction on the "proper" use of a gps unit.. :eek::rolleyes::rofl::rofl:
Not sure if it's harder to teach officers map reading skills or how to use a GPS. If they use the latter and the batteries run out with no resupply there will be cries of "We're doooomed, I tell you. We're all doooomed !." Most dangerous thing in the British Army is an officer with a map - this was said to a group of Canadian senior noncoms and (unintentionally) overheard by a senior British officer who, as a young subaltern had got lost in Borneo. He was less than amused ! :rofl:

Jay at Xtreme just completed mine, used for the first time over the bank holiday.... Wayne at hilo gave us a demo before we bought.View attachment 7163
WOW - I thought my roof (SCA 194) was high but that takes the biscuit - I would also love the ability to drop the sides out like you can. My only concern would be what happens when the wind gets up - regardless of the strength of materials, that much sail is going to cause quite a bit of van movement in high winds. We had our roof up over the weekend with winds only getting up to around about 15mph but were still aware of the van rocking quite well from it - not sure what it would be like in stronger winds - would probably want to position the van such that the smallest area of cloth faces into the wind but not always possible with some pitches/site rules.

Went to see Lime Vehicles today in sunny Pen y Groes, I wish I had been to see them first. Mike the owner was, well what I would have expected of any professional. He took time to explain exactly how he protects the interior during the cutting out phase which was reassuring. He'd also arranged a customers van to be there for me to see and for him to demo fully. Needless to say then we feel a lot happier now.

Went to see Lime Vehicles today in sunny Pen y Groes, I wish I had been to see them first. Mike the owner was, well what I would have expected of any professional. He took time to explain exactly how he protects the interior during the cutting out phase which was reassuring. He'd also arranged a customers van to be there for me to see and for him to demo fully. Needless to say then we feel a lot happier now.
That's great news so have you booked the van in for the hilo then ?
all you have to decide then is if you want the scenic canvas, polished hinges black canvas as standard or coloured extra cost and colour code the roof oh and lighting recessed or surface mount.
Recessed you might have to do something like this as there is not a lot of room for deep led lights I went 12mm leds

IMG_1790.JPG

Last edited:
all you have to decide then is if you want the scenic canvas, polished hinges black canvas as standard or coloured extra cost and colour code the roof oh and lighting recessed or surface mount.
Recessed you might have to do something like this as there is not a lot of room for deep led lights I went 12mm leds

View attachment 7253
Having those lips around the lights really makes a nice feature of them.

Having those lips around the lights really makes a nice feature of them.
You haven't got a lot of clearance for recessed lights and think this does look very nice and impressed how the lining stretches around it, spose they don't call it 4way stretch for nothing.
Just got to fit the touch sensitive light in the roof now as xtremevan had reserves on trailing cables being trapped

View attachment 7253
No not yet, I need to sell my type 2 first to fund it, I thought it was going to sell last week hence the visits to fitters but the guy seems to have gone cold on me, shouldn't be long though, really looking forward to getting the roof done.
Did you go for the polished hinges?
You haven't got a lot of clearance for recessed lights and think this does look very nice and impressed how the lining stretches around it, spose they don't call it 4way stretch for nothing.
Just got to fit the touch sensitive light in the roof now as xtremevan had reserves on trailing cables being trapped
The amount of stretch in that carpet is incredible, when I did my lining a couple of weeks ago the bit at the bottom of the wheel arch to the side wall of the van. It was stretched taught across the bottom there, a bit of warming with a hair drier and in it went no messing at all.
That's a nice idea to get the deeper lights, I could well be getting Mike at Lime to copy that one, I fancied the touch on/off LEDs that are available, I'll have to see how deep they are

@Colinlp I'm glad that your visit to Lime went well and that you are going to go to them for a Hilo etc. The damage that one idiot fitter can do to a brand reputation is enormous so a big cheer to @andythom188 and all the others who supported you in persevering with your quest to find a capable fitter. Well done to @HiLo Roofs for their contacting you about your negative experience too and I'm certain that they will be delighted that Lime Vehicles have helped you recover confidence in their product and fitters. Certainly there are many here who are well satisfied with their Hilo Roof and the fitting service experience. I wish you good fortune in selling on your previous van so that you can proceed with this part of your project :thumbsup:

No not yet, I need to sell my type 2 first to fund it, I thought it was going to sell last week hence the visits to fitters but the guy seems to have gone cold on me, shouldn't be long though, really looking forward to getting the roof done.
Did you go for the polished hinges?

The amount of stretch in that carpet is incredible, when I did my lining a couple of weeks ago the bit at the bottom of the wheel arch to the side wall of the van. It was stretched taught across the bottom there, a bit of warming with a hair drier and in it went no messing at all.
That's a nice idea to get the deeper lights, I could well be getting Mike at Lime to copy that one, I fancied the touch on/off LEDs that are available, I'll have to see how deep they are
With the summer coming the t2 will sell with no problem at all don't need timewaisters.
Yes I went for polished hinges and black scenic roof but I had them for free as Hilo had a December promotion on I left it till 31st December then decided I wanted it done ,just like me leave it till the last miniutes.
I've got the touch sensitive leds in the rear hatch very bright, I've got some boxed up in my stash of parts will measure them for you later on.
I have got a thread in the day van camper section called Hilo roof booked got loads of photos of the van and lights.
If you like the lights I can dig out the receipts to tell you were and who to get off as I shop around for best prices.

Back