Hilo Roof install process

Colinlp

Cabinet-maker
T6 Guru
We went this morning to have a chat with a local fitter for Hilo roofs. Initially all seemed fine and all the right noises were made but then while looking at one being fitted a fitter comes up to me and asks me is that my van outside that the roof is intended for, to which I replied yes. He then says to his mate that it's already carpet lined and that they would have to pull it all out, to which I said then it won't be happening! Then the other piped up that there may well be damage inside afterwards to the lining as they will be using grinders inside and the carpet may get scorched, if that happens they will have to charge me for patching the lining up.

Is it me or am I expecting too much for my cash that roof fitters would actually take care on my van as they work on it? Going to see another fitter on Friday, hopefully they will be better or I'm going the SCA route

I'm tied to using a localish fitter, my mother has dementia bad and I can't leave the house while she is home, I literally have 5 hours twice a week to do things like this so travelling is not an option for me

I'm going to see Lime on Friday, the next nearest are in Merseyside which is getting a bit far

Totally agree with you @Colinlp, it is a massive decision to spend that sort of money on a roof, and we expect a decent level of service in return. All I can say is steer clear of those noddy's, and post up who they are so others can also keep clear of them. May be worth mentioning to Hilo their attitude.

As @andythom188 says.. Should be using jig saw, air or elec nibblers, air or elec saw. Grinders "burn" burn metal away as well as grind, and leave a rough edge.. The burning affects the surrounding paint immediate to the area cut adversely due to the heat produced not the case with cold cutting.. so more damage.. Will they prep & repair this properly when it's hidden? Me thinks not.. :eek::whistle::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Customcamperswales, or lime vehicles , by this link at Hilo

Fitters for the T4/T5 HiLo Roof System

Totally agree with you @Colinlp, it is a massive decision to spend that sort of money on a roof, and we expect a decent level of service in return. All I can say is steer clear of those noddy's, and post up who they are so others can also keep clear of them. May be worth mentioning to Hilo their attitude.
Yes the only two in the intimidate area, I'm going to chat with Lime tomorrow so fingers crossed they will will have a better attitude.

Ok, good to know who has the wrong idea on cutting a roof section m8, good luck & let us know how you get on.. :thumbsup:

I Am following this with interest I am going down the SCA roof route and it is a lot of money to spend and want a quality install!

I might well end up going to SCA after yesterday. I tell you what though, I'm bloody glad I went there before spending money

I would give Kerri a call at Hilo in Preston ask what there cutting out procedure is on there Hilo fitting course, think I have her number if you need it.

I might well end up going to SCA after yesterday. I tell you what though, I'm bloody glad I went there before spending money
I got xtremevan to send me photos of every stage of the job, he said no one had asked or wanted to see it before , but wanted to see if it had been bonded and riveted properly and was good to put the pics of the fitting on here to for everyone to see :thumbsup:
Don't be disartened from just one rough arse conversion company, the Hilo is a good product if you want to keep the height issue of getting under the car park barriers

Yep i intend to visit where i am getting the roof done, I did wonder if anyone offers a mobile fitting service at least you could keep an eye on them!!

Was looking at your van on the other thread, very nice, high isn't it! I was amazed at the height of the roof when up, borderline needing a red aircraft warning light. Was yours fitted with the interior already done?

I wish I was able to drop the van off with a well established company, it would be a lot less stressful, yesterday has put me off Hilo. Surely it's possible to fit one of these roofs without wrecking the inside of my van, I'm seriously thinking about going for an SCA now but that means putting my mum in a home for a week which I'm trying my best to avoid (being selfish she only gets 4 weeks a year and have to be in multiples of a week and I need the time to get some rest myself).

I'm no expert but my van is a self build and I had some carpeted areas but the fitter masked things over and no swarf is evident in the carpeting following fitting but my van was not fully carpeted when it went in so the risk you have is the fitters can only protect from metal swarf to a certain extent but the ideal solution with any roof install is to go in with an empty van.

@Colinlp. Chin up ;), you are going to see Lime Vehicles tomorrow and I'm pretty sure that @HiLo Roofs have read this thread and asked Lime to do everything possible to give you the best possible positive experience :thumbsup: as the last thing they wish after all the posts on this thread is that you go to another manufacturer :whistle:. Take heart too from all the positive feedback from those that have had a Hilo Roof fitted :D.

Back