Hill descent

JasonW

VCDS User
T6 Legend
Having added descent control when I specced the 4M van build I often wondered if I got carried away ticking boxes and whether it would be a button I'd ever press in a real life situation...

Well called upon it today for the first time descending a 33% single track gradient which was covered in mud, leaves and loose rocks... well off the beaten track in a remote part of the beacons national park...

It was definitely helpful not to worry about the van running away with itself during a nervy navigation... may not get much use but glad it was there when I needed it...

I am curious to know which vehicles are fitted with the Hill Decent . I can’t see it listed as an option in the brochure. My van is a 2017 4motion without hill decent.

It was an extra that I didn't choose on our Cali.

Yes, it was an optional extra when I spec'd the build.. helpful addition in certain circumstances...

Last edited:
My 4m has it specced by the previous owner but the diff lock was not specced. For those that specced the hill decent, why ? Mine limits the speed to 5kmh and have no idea why or where it would ever be used.

My 4m has it specced by the previous owner but the diff lock was not specced. For those that specced the hill decent, why ? Mine limits the speed to 5kmh and have no idea why or where it would ever be used.
Watch this video and please excuse me for using French ;) .

Reactions: mmi
It was very easy to retrofit following the instructions on the above thread. Do the traction control defeat button while you’re at it.

Mine limits the speed to 5kmh and have no idea why
You set the speed by applying throttle, or brakes - the van then sticks at the set speed (when going downhill steep enough). Doesn't work for you?

On the Touareg you could set the speed with the cruise control + and - buttons and then accelerate a bit when you need to prevent a side slide and then when you took your foot off the throttle, it would use the ABS to slow you back down to the set speed, a kind of one peddle driving.

Driving in reverse on a gradient of less than 8% with my feet off the pedals? Not quite sure if I'd ever need that...
Works great going forward though when I tried it out earlier in the year (2wd DSG)

Back