High top; would you / have you?!

Last year downsized from a beautiful panel van conversion to my SWB T6.1. I did so mainly because of parking problems (both height and length) but if you are certain that height barriers are not going to be an issue then go for it.

Because I don't miss the massive storage capacity of my other van, or the shower, or the 6' long sofa which I could lay on during the day, or the vastly superior 12v system but I DO miss not being able to stand up unless I raise the pop top.
Thanks
These threads may help, if you haven’t seen them already:

Thanks @Ads_Essex they are useful conversations, I had looked through them before making my own thread as they probably weren't quite answering the questions I had. Thank you.

So guys, I've been making enquiries and the guys at Remapping The Way (who I use for all my work) are going to get me a quote to fit an original VW solid high top, I'll keep you posted on how I get on!

Thank you for your help all, and have a great Christmas!

Reactions: CAB
So guys, I've been making enquiries and the guys at Remapping The Way (who I use for all my work) are going to get me a quote to fit an original VW solid high top, I'll keep you posted on how I get on!

Thank you for your help all, and have a great Christmas!
Hope it all pans out for you. I hadn’t realised in my earlier comments that the ‘Velle had been adapted. That puts a different slant on things. Good luck :thumbsup:

I've not hade one Hight Top, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I've had seven!

Wouldn't dream of anything else except for the planned MAN TGE which of course is already a high top.

I've not hade one Hight Top, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I've had seven!

Wouldn't dream of anything else except for the planned MAN TGE which of course is already a high top.

Haha! You like a high top then! My Mrs isn't keen to stay in the van if I don't do something to make it better for her back. There's been a lot spent on mobility equipment for myself in it so the only way is a high top. It's my daily run about too, otherwise I would've gone bigger to start with. We really enjoyed this last seasons camp outs, improving things as we go, we'll get there!

Reactions: CAB
Hope it all pans out for you. I hadn’t realised in my earlier comments that the ‘Velle had been adapted. That puts a different slant on things. Good luck :thumbsup:

Cheers @Salty Spuds yeah, it's brilliant as it is in many ways, but if we want to use it as a weekender and for holidays we need to make the change. It's my daily commuter too. We've had some lovely weekends away in her already and a weeks holiday but it's a back breaker as it is!

By coincidence there were three of mine parked outside our house a while ago, the end two have Reimo roofs and the middle one is a genuine VW high top. They are all LWB and all have Reimo seat/bed in the back on tracks for flexibility. We still have the one nearest to the camera but if I cam find someone to convert the MAN TGE that we now have the T6 will be on the market.
1672045237823.jpeg

Looking at @rod_vw 's photo I'd make one comment about the difference between the Reimo roof and the VW one.

Think about how often you will have to duck if you leave the van by the back door. My first (decades ago) little campervan was a tiny Citroen conversion with barn doors and a Reimo-alike roof. I'm only a little over 5' but 95% of the time when I got in or out of the van via the back I cracked my head. It stopped being a joke very quickly.

Looking at @rod_vw 's photo I'd make one comment about the difference between the Reimo roof and the VW one.

Think about how often you will have to duck if you leave the van by the back door. My first (decades ago) little campervan was a tiny Citroen conversion with barn doors and a Reimo-alike roof. I'm only a little over 5' but 95% of the time when I got in or out of the van via the back I cracked my head. It stopped being a joke very quickly.
In my opinion there are more negatives than positives with the VW high top unless you need the high exit and even then the step out over the bumper is not easy. I actually fitted an overhead locker in the top of the rear doorway of that one so it configured just like the other two internally.
1672048472832.png
1672048492923.png

Great pic of the 3 lined up @rod_vw haha! Yeah our rear door access is closed off and used as a boot anyway so it's not an option for entry/exit.

Great pic of the 3 lined up @rod_vw haha! Yeah our rear door access is closed off and used as a boot anyway so it's not an option for entry/exit.
Yes having built four on T5 & T6 base vehicles and worked in and out of the back I wouldn't dream of using it as a normal habitation entry / exit as it's too far to step up and over the bumper and tow ball in my case.

Yes having built four on T5 & T6 base vehicles and worked in and out of the back I wouldn't dream of using it as a normal habitation entry / exit as it's too far to step up and over the bumper and tow ball in my case.
Cheers @rod_vw really helpful.

Nice @JFH is your van a transporter, shuttle or Caravelle??? Is it a Reimo top do you know??? Don't suppose you have any pics of the inside looking up at the roof? Cheers.
Its a Reimo Ergoline Hightop Roof. Its been fitted to a LWB transporter that had had Kombi seats in it.These are the best 2 photos from when it was converted. (I hope to get better ones tommorow in the light.)

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-15 at 17.43.37.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-11-15 at 17.43.34.jpeg

The shelf on this one is the orginal van roof hight, microwave is going into high top space

Its a Reimo Ergoline Hightop Roof. Its been fitted to a LWB transporter that had had Kombi seats in it.These are the best 2 photos from when it was converted. (I hope to get better ones tommorow in the light.)

View attachment 183304View attachment 183305

The shelf on this one is the orginal van roof hight, microwave is going into high top space

Very nice @JFH I thought it was the Reimo. It looks great! Thanks for your help!

Well guys I've had it done!!

And I love it!

So there were two massive problems with getting this done.

- One was because it was a Caravelle.
- the other was because it was a LWB.

Many companies would have done it if it was a SWB even with it being a Velle.

In the end I've stuck with Remapping The Way as they agreed they'd do it for me. They ordered the Reimo roof for me and we booked it in for the work! Andrew, Josh, and Dai have done an awesome job and I'm really happy with the result!

There's enough room for someone just over 6ft to stand up, so no more crouching over!

We still have a bit to do to finish it, awning and cupboards but happy campers here!

IMG_20230527_202301.jpg

IMG_20230526_144426.jpg

IMG_20230526_144328.jpg
IMG-20230526-WA0001.jpeg

Back