High top; would you / have you?!

Rob2red

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

After using my Caravelle this last season we've decided that if we're going to keep using the Velle as a weekend camper we need a high top roof.

It's a Velle so I know there'll be a lot of stuff to sort, lights etc. Have you adapted your VW, if so I'd appreciate any feedback you have?! Pics even?!

I'm a bit gutted as I've only just got her as I wanted her, but I'd rather it work for us as a camper than just aesthetically look pleasing.

My baby!!!...

IMG_20220820_155039.jpg

I'd like something similar to this guys, where can I find some different options please?

Cheers 5abb082f96ec41b09eb5dfc47380e499_edit_669053066430201.jpg

The van is like me and my kids pig ugly but is more functional, no stooping, can get dressed standing up. The amount of storage is huge the only thing not in a cupboard when we travel is the awning. We arrive on site and plug in the EHU and we are set up.
If I was wanting a van for show I wouldn’t cover 25 000miles a year in it, it is there to be used.

Some fab replies fair play guys!

I have no option but to stick with what I have which is a lovely T6 Velle! Yeah due to my own circumstances I just need to make what I have more practical. It's my daily commute vehicle as well as my weekender!

The height restriction problem doesn't really bother me as I'm already used to only being able to park in certain places because of the wheels and roof rack I have. I live in a pretty rural area too so not such a big problem here. Love the high top @Dave Mac so you love yours?! Do you take a trailer with you too Dave when you're taking the awning?

I've just seen GRP Shapes on the web, anybody used them on here???

Thank you all!

My van came with a Drivelodge pop top roof but I see from their website that they also do high tops. I can't comment on the quality but I hope it helps your research...

Drivelodge

Leisuredrive do them, in Bolton, but no idea if they will tackle a Velle.

The height restriction problem doesn't really bother me as I'm already used to only being able to park in certain places because of the wheels and roof rack I have. I live in a pretty rural area too so not such a big problem here.

Last year downsized from a beautiful panel van conversion to my SWB T6.1. I did so mainly because of parking problems (both height and length) but if you are certain that height barriers are not going to be an issue then go for it.

Because I don't miss the massive storage capacity of my other van, or the shower, or the 6' long sofa which I could lay on during the day, or the vastly superior 12v system but I DO miss not being able to stand up unless I raise the pop top.

Well guys, I've contacted GRP Shapes and they supply the high tops and have companies that will fit them. Dub Daddy camper conversions were mentioned as a fitter, but I'm going to see if the company I use Remapping The Way here in South Wales will do it first.

Cheers for the feedback all! :)

I wouldn't and haven't .... so I don't know what I'm missing in terms of advantages or disadvantages. It wasn't even a decision I could make because I need to be low enough to get into the car-park at work and under the 2 meter barriers that plague many open-air car parks in Europe.

Collect pros and cons, assess them yourself against your own needs, and make a choice. If it turns out to be the wrong choice, then sell up and try something else.

Once you make a choice, you live with it ... some people get more emotionally invested in their choice than others and spend countless hours on forums waxing lyrical about how their solution is the right one for any situation and any other person ... unfortunately not true.

Good luck with your van - enjoy!

I think high tops have their pros & cons, just like pop tops. Every van is a compromise at some point. What I would NOT do, is butcher the ‘Velle. You’ll destroy its residual value. I’d sell the Velle & use the money to start from scratch.
Just my 2 bobs worth.

Hi all,

After using my Caravelle this last season we've decided that if we're going to keep using the Velle as a weekend camper we need a high top roof.

It's a Velle so I know there'll be a lot of stuff to sort, lights etc. Have you adapted your VW, if so I'd appreciate any feedback you have?! Pics even?!

I'm a bit gutted as I've only just got her as I wanted her, but I'd rather it work for us as a camper than just aesthetically look pleasing.

My baby!!!...

View attachment 182538
These threads may help, if you haven’t seen them already:

I think high tops have their pros & cons, just like pop tops. Every van is a compromise at some point. What I would NOT do, is butcher the ‘Velle. You’ll destroy its residual value. I’d sell the Velle & use the money to start from scratch.
Just my 2 bobs worth.

Thanks @Salty Spuds I see what you mean. My van has a lot of mobility adaptions on it so unfortunately it's not that easy, if I didn't have the adaptions on though you're totally right that would be the best option. Thank you for the input, lots of good advice on this forum, love it!

I wouldn't and haven't .... so I don't know what I'm missing in terms of advantages or disadvantages. It wasn't even a decision I could make because I need to be low enough to get into the car-park at work and under the 2 meter barriers that plague many open-air car parks in Europe.

Collect pros and cons, assess them yourself against your own needs, and make a choice. If it turns out to be the wrong choice, then sell up and try something else.

Once you make a choice, you live with it ... some people get more emotionally invested in their choice than others and spend countless hours on forums waxing lyrical about how their solution is the right one for any situation and any other person ... unfortunately not true.

Good luck with your van - enjoy!
Thanks @Oceanis really helpful reply!

Back