high oil pressure stage

yellowduck

can anyone tell me more about this as i have had a new turbo from vw fitted by my garage and after the van had run 88 miles the turbo went again. The small nut on the fan shaft had come off and damaged the fan blades as in phot. Now vw say they will not replace it as i can not prove that the oil high pressure stage had not been activated. So that is what has caused the turbo to fail. I understand that not all vw have this stage so it can not be activated. Also no other garage has ever heard of this. Thanks for your time

It might help if you start at the beginning. Age of van, how long you've owned it, warranty, service history, why did the first turbo fail and at what mileage, etc.
And you might want to read this thread:

hi thanks 2016 t6 76000 went 30000 between services. first turbo went not long after i had service and cam belt ect changed. Garage said the turbo fan shaft was rattling inside the turbo. So i ordered new turbo with all pipes, gaskets and even the oil from vw van centre birmingham. and my garage fitted new turbo had the dpf taken off and flused clean and tested for flow and re fitted that. Ran for about 80 miles no noise ran so smooth no warning lights just ran great and then the next day ran for 2 miles and the engine management light came on and i heard a loud pop, then lose of power and rolled the 2 miles home with little power. The garage that fitted the turbo came out and had a look and said turbo faulty and when the took the filter box and pipe of that goes to the turbo there was a little nut loose in the pipe which had come off the shaft with the fans on in turbo.
Waited 3 weeks with it on the drive had it low loaded so not to run the engine back to vw birmingham who said they had to inspect the fitting of the turbo befor they would replace as i had only had it a few weeks.
They phoned on friday just gone and said yes it had been fitted ok even said good job by who ever fitted it but need to speak with warranty guy on monday to get it ordered. And then today after i had waited til after lunch i phone them and they said they would not replace unless i can prove thta the oil high presure stage had been activated.
I phone my garage and they had never heard of this, i then checked with several vw repair guys and garages and no one had ever heard of this when replacing a turbo. Vw then said its in there repair manual and thats why the turbo failed and i will have yo buy anew turbo and bits which would cost me another £1400.
At no time when i bought the parts did anyone say the turbo needs to be fitted in a certain way or if certain things are not done then this will happen, as my garage said and so did many more the nut coming off is the issue and the turbo is faulty and should be replaced. i attache photo of turbo also email vw sent showing small print in there repair manual. which also states this pressure stage is not always available to set. Thanks

IMG-20201219-WA0047.jpg

Last edited:
Yes there is two stages on oil pressure even auto data which most garages have for infor states the two pressures

So the engine is obviously 84PS (CXGA) or 102PS (CXGB) - turbocharger 04L 253 014H ?

Low pressure should be mid 20s (psi) and high pressure around mid 50s (psi) if I remember correctly I’m sure it’s on the majority of the engines

One oil pump.... so what are the stages relating to?

Turbo hardware dependant, or part of the engine map?.. or something else?

just some turbo stuff . . . couldnt find the refence to the oil pressure stage, just testing the vacuum and gate with gauges.

1610485739837.png

1610485907191.png

1610485815579.png

Read further: requires vas or vcds

After new components have been installed (engine/short engine, cylinder head, camshaft housing or turbocharger) the oil pressure control must be set to max. pressure for approx. 1000 km if the function is available in the engine control unit. This will compen‐ sate for the increased friction during run-in of new components, and a better transport of wear-related particles is guaranteed.
– Connect ⇒ Vehicle diagnostic tester.
– Switch on ignition.
– Activate oil pressure regulation ⇒ Vehicle diagnostic tester, 01 - Systems capable of self-diagnosis , 01 - Diesel direction injection and preglow system EDC 17 , 01 -
Engine electronics functions, Adaption, Oil pres- sure for engine operation.
– Follow further instructions displayed on ⇒ Vehicle diagnostic

Gotcha.. makes more sense now..... so the oil pressure control valve allows for a higher oil pressure for the run in duration to help clear wear materials to the oil circuit and to the filter.

So are you supposed to go back after 1000km to have it set back to normal?...

Or has the ECU got the duration option?

So are we saying the the new turbo bearing run dry due to this? Because the clearance to so tight?.... thermal expansion etc.

Reactions: mmi
Back