Hertz speakers - Crossover Location?

xpfloyd

T6 Legend
I am currently installing the Hertz speakers supplied bu @Absolut5 . Going OK so far with sub installed, passenger side cables, passenger side speaker and passenger side dynamat.

Can anyone post a photo of where you have installed the crossover in the door? Its quite bulky so trying to work out where is best before I put the door card back on

IMG_1649.JPG
I am currently installing the Hertz speakers supplied bu @Absolut5 . Going OK so far with sub installed, passenger side cables, passenger side speaker and passenger side dynamat.

Can anyone post a photo of where you have installed the crossover in the door? Its quite bulky so trying to work out where is best before I put the door card back on

Thanks @Absolut5 . I ended up putting it as per the photo below. Its screwed through the wooden collar and also the steel of the door. Do you see any issue with it being so close to the speaker? (I hope not as the door card is now back on :D)

33741769922_977f7a3c74_h.jpgIMG_2596 by VW T6, on Flickr

On another note thanks for the advice given today on the phone. Speaker installed upside down as advised with a dynamat flap behind protecting it from the elements

How much is this Hertz upgrade please, and is it just fronts as mine is a van?

How much is this Hertz upgrade please, and is it just fronts as mine is a van?
Im sure @Absolut5 could tailor a kit to your needs. Mine was front Hertz, JL Audio sub, sub enclosure, 3 channel JL audio amp, rear pioneer coaxials (run off head unit for ambiance), all cables and connectors, dynamat for the door and a rotary control for the sub

Im sure @Absolut5 could tailor a kit to your needs. Mine was front Hertz, JL Audio sub, sub enclosure, 3 channel JL audio amp, rear pioneer coaxials (run off head unit for ambiance), all cables and connectors, dynamat for the door and a rotary control for the sub

Sounds like a cracking setup, look forward to your thoughts and thanks for the message.

Sounds like a cracking setup, look forward to your thoughts and thanks for the message.
Im dying to hear it in action so set about installing everything today only to realise I dont have a crimp tool big enough for 16mm2 cable. I've now ordered one online though so the final amp connections will have to wait until that arrives. I've completed the sub and the passenger door. Aiming to do the drivers door tomorrow and maybe the connections from the head unit to the amp. Then it will just be a case of power and earth to the amp once the crimp tool arrives. The way absolut5 created the kit was spot on as all the cables are pre cut to length and labelled so it made it easy for a novice like me.

Looking good!

Sorry to be a pain, but if you get chance would you show (or explain) how you wired it up please? As in, how you wired the outputs from the head unit to the amp and how you get the amp to auto turn on etc.

I'm going to be running a very similar set-up soon. Thanks in advance.

@gmaster

The amp connections are -

live to leisure battery (in line fuse near battery)
Earth to body chasis
Speaker cable to sub and both crossovers
2x RCAs back to head unit
Remote cable to head unit
Telephone cable to dash mounted rotary controller

crossover connections are -

Speaker cable to door speaker
Speaker cable to tweeter
Speaker cable to amp

Only connection in sub is speaker cable to amp

Head unit connections -

2x RCAs to amp
Remote cable to amp
Speaker cables to rear speakers

I am going to add an in line switch to the remote wire and mount it on my drivers seat base at the side which will allow me to switch the amp off even with the head unit on so that I can just use the rear speakers (camping etc with lower volume)

Hope that's of some use to you

That's brilliant and very helpful. Thank you!

Are you using a factory head unit? I was told there was no RCA outputs on the back of the Discovery Media head unit.

@gmaster

The amp connections are -

live to leisure battery (in line fuse near battery)
Earth to body chasis
Speaker cable to sub and both crossovers
2x RCAs back to head unit
Remote cable to head unit
Telephone cable to dash mounted rotary controller

crossover connections are -

Speaker cable to door speaker
Speaker cable to tweeter
Speaker cable to amp

Only connection in sub is speaker cable to amp

Head unit connections -

2x RCAs to amp
Remote cable to amp
Speaker cables to rear speakers

I am going to add an in line switch to the remote wire and mount it on my drivers seat base at the side which will allow me to switch the amp off even with the head unit on so that I can just use the rear speakers (camping etc with lower volume)

Hope that's of some use to you
You don't sound like a novice (no pun intended) from that description. If you are then you are a brave one even if you have the help of @Absolut5

Are you using a factory head unit? I was told there was no RCA outputs on the back of the Discovery Media head unit.
I installed a kenwood ddx5016dab head unit so that I could install a reverse camera (still to do that bit). Fitting a vw reverse camera was too expensive so was cheaper going the aftermarket route which also allowed me to install the amp etc

You don't sound like a novice (no pun intended) from that description. If you are then you are a brave one even if you have the help of @Absolut5
Genuinely the first time I've ever done anything like this so learning as I go. Installed the drivers door speakers and sound proofing this morning in half the time it took me to do the passenger side yesterday. It did require 2 phone calls to absolut5 yesterday to ask daft questions though :)

This same setup works very well with the factory media unit, we can supply a plug and play lead behind the headunit to the JL amp

Great info' again, thanks. I will be in touch about the lead & some mdf speaker rings Absolut5.

Just a thought....but could the crossovers be fixed behind the panels end of the dash?

crossover area.jpg

Located mine here. Used Rainbows for my upgrade. Quite a decent void behind the doorcard.

IMG_1821.JPG

Yeah I was initially worried about the door card clashing with the crossover when I started the thread but realised there's actually a load of space behind there

I used a string grid on the door and again on the door card to get the crossover in exactly the right place. Helps you map the location. :thumbsup:

IMG_1483.JPG IMG_1473.JPG

Back