Help with roof decision - VanDoc and HiLo

Strange Al

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I'm in need of some quick advice/thoughts on a problem I need to resolve by tomorrow:

My Shuttle is currently in with VanDoc getting a HiLo fitted.

The original plan was to have VanDoc do a normal fit, building and carpeting in the pelmets down the sides to blend in with the rest of the vans fixtures (pillar and panel covers etc).

However they called today saying that because of an anomaly with the vans frame (some metalwork 'wings' in the structure of the roof), the normal pelmet fit would need to be modified with foam padding in order to get the finish we were looking for. But I'm worried that it may still end up being a 'best of a poor situation' solution.

This is also problem as I originally wanted the pelmets building but leaving off in order to allow me to run more cables and wire up lights on a three way switch to from the leisure battery or when the doors opened. If they go ahead with their proposed work around, they would have to fit everything prior to collection making this task very difficult.

Aesthetically they have suggested using the original oem headliner as an alternative. This would no doubt look good and would guarantee these 'wings' would be well out of view. I've seen photos of what they can do with the oem headliner and it looks quality. It is also possible that I may be able to carry out the additional work I want to do as well. BUT, I'm worried that if I go down this route, the cupboards and units, including overhead kitchen and bed lockers that I have waiting in my garage to be built will not fit properly.

Totally stuck here but need to make up my mind quick as I can get down there tomorrow with the old headliner if I decide to go down that route.

So that's my conundrum, anyone have any thoughts? Appreciate any advice going.

Al

So why has your van got an “anomaly”? How can it be different to any other?

So why has your van got an “anomaly”? How can it be different to any other?

Presumably because it's a Shuttle. VanDoc aren't even entirely sure. I know the bit's they're on about though, they are for hanging the oem headlining from.

Odd. Clearly they have never fitted a roof to shuttle before then - which is even odder considering how many roofs they fit.

It’s a hard one to advise on, as you may really struggle to get the side pelmets in yourself if they leave them out and put all of your cupboards etc in. However, you can’t then do all of the additional bits you want. You can ask them to do those bits, but the price will sky rocket. I remember how much they charged per led light fitting that was put into my van!

Exactly, other than the satisfaction of doing it myself alongside the challenge, I wanted to keep the price down so I could go for a higher spec conversion than I would otherwise have been able to afford. Getting the oem headliner adapted will of cause cost more but it's not insurmountable.

As you know what you want to do can't you get them to run the cables and some extra and you can connect up later.
It's hard to believe your van has an anomalie TBH, the Van's are standard templates.
Anyone getting a wiff of poor excuse?

Only picture I can give you just now is this. Will be with the van later if you need closer pics. This is Evo furniture (5.4 kit if I recall correctly). Not a Hilo, Low Life Stealth. No loss of headroom with this design, but hopefully you can see how much there is to spare above the rear locker. Reckon there is about 25 mm or so gap to the Shuttle head linning. However the locker top board behind is maybe 75mm lower. So scope to re profile the end board if required. For reference, the location of the spotlight you can see, is where the grab handle was. (It was Vandoc that made and supplied these light mounts for me to fit). There is a thick wiring loom above the head lining, but still just enough room to run heater ducting to the vent at the front of the photo.

I understand where your coming from with access for wiring. I was the same, in that I needed to run wiring for numerous lights around the van.

20190403_110525.jpg

So popped down today with the old headliner etc in tow. Have to say the guys at VanDoc were very accommodating, taking time out to discuss the pro's and cons of both options and pushing neither. The exact issue in the end had nothing to do with the 'wings' as these got cut out along with the rest of the roof. It was more to do with the A pillar covers in a shuttle being shorter than in a normal van in order to make way for the rear headliner hight (which is lower than on a normal van/kombi in order to fit the air ducting). This will leave a gap of sorts between the cab headliner and HiLo structure. VD suggested they could minimise the impact of this gap by extending the carpet trimming beyond where the gap is.

So I decided to stick with the standard HiLo fit for practical reasons and just deal with the gaps; further down the line I could get standard length pillar covers if they bug me enough.

Thanks for all the input folks, I'll post up pictures once I get the van back next weekend!

Just want to note that it’s not a straight swap to change to longer pillars, the join on shuttle/velle pillars is higher than standard ones so if you wanted to swop you would also need the lower half which in turn won’t line up with the floor

Just want to note that it’s not a straight swap to change to longer pillars, the join on shuttle/velle pillars is higher than standard ones so if you wanted to swop you would also need the lower half which in turn won’t line up with the floor

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (Followed by sound of Alan head-butting table) :mad:

Ah. With talk of the furniture, here was me sticking up photos of the roof linning at the blunt end.

Update time:

Picked up the van on Thursday and I'm really chuffed with the results. Don't have any pics of the HiLo up or anything yet, but the one's below give you an idea of what the 'problem' area looks like fully finished. I'm not overly worried about the gaps, the guys at VanDoc did a great job and I'm going to have full access to the cable runs for the Easter conversion marathonXxZNp+yRSkS26YO+2YZvMA.jpg 8TYrm5lKTT+G9xBO17aZdg.jpg . In time I might extend up some carpet to hid the gaps on the B and C pillars, but for now I am one happy Van owner. :thumbsup:

In my old t4 I carpeted some foam pipe insulation to fill the gap over the sliding door top runner and pop top panels. Cut and trimmed the insulation to give it the right curve and it looked fine. Just a thought

Update time:

Picked up the van on Thursday and I'm really chuffed with the results. Don't have any pics of the HiLo up or anything yet, but the one's below give you an idea of what the 'problem' area looks like fully finished. I'm not overly worried about the gaps, the guys at VanDoc did a great job and I'm going to have full access to the cable runs for the Easter conversion marathonView attachment 41176 View attachment 41177 . In time I might extend up some carpet to hid the gaps on the B and C pillars, but for now I am one happy Van owner. :thumbsup:
@Strange Al looking good, what abs have you got for the gaps above the pillars?

EDIT: could I ask a favour.. could you upload a few photos showing the whole B-pillar (as a rear seat passenger would see it) as I’m trying to work out it I could fit that trim in my panel-van, as I’m looking to fit the handle and cover over the bare metal. Cheers

Hi, I'll get you some photos tomorrow or Friday.

Not planning on using abs to fill the gaps right now. I was thinking about extending a frame out of the top of the covers, using fibreglass sheets over the frame and then carpeting over the top. Way down the job list right now though, the timeline will no doubt be directly proportional to how much the gaps bug me once the conversion is complete!

Hi, I'll get you some photos tomorrow or Friday.

Not planning on using abs to fill the gaps right now. I was thinking about extending a frame out of the top of the covers, using fibreglass sheets over the frame and then carpeting over the top. Way down the job list right now though, the timeline will no doubt be directly proportional to how much the gaps bug me once the conversion is complete!
Cancel that, I’ve found some photos now - I knew I’d seen them here somewhere.

Kombi/caravelle

Back