Help With Schaudt Wa121545

BrianK

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello all

Complete newbie here hoping for some help from those who know their way around van electrics a lot better than me.

The vehicle is a 2014 VW Transporter T5.1 conversion that was already converted when I bought it. Unfortunately a simple 60A split charge relay beneath the bonnet along with a starter type battery for a leisure one achieves very little when driving probably as the van has a smart alternator and regenerative braking too.

I’m intending to replace the one poor battery with 2 x Bosch LFD90’s placed under the front seats and connected together in parallel.

Additionally I intend to remove the split charge relay and instal a Schaudt WA121545 B2B charger (also known as an Intelligent Alternator Booster) to hopefully provide the best possible chance of a good charge as I drive from place to place. I may also want to add solar one day but don’t want to get involved in this at the moment.

Installing the actual unit seems relatively straightforward (see pdf linked below) with live and negatives going from the starter battery to the WA121545 and then the same on to the leisure battery. Where it becomes a bit more confusing to me is how the system will integrate with the DS300 Distribution board and CB516 charger. Also there is mention of using a simulated D+ signal in much that I have read, I believe to ensure the starter battery still receives a charge when plugged into EHU but I’m not sure.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/resources/Schaudt WA121545.pdf

Other specification of the van that may have a bearing are:

CBE PC210 Controller
CBE CB516 Mains charger
CBE DS120-S Mains consumer unit
CBE DS300 Distribution board
Waeco CRX 50 Fridge
Planar 2D diesel heater

Any help that can be offered will be gratefully received.

It looks as though that unit is primarily designed to interface with a Shaudt Electrobloc although it can be used on its own. It will operate completely independently from the other equipment you have. It will only charge your starter battery if the boost switch is set to on and you have connected your mains charger to it. The D+ signal indicates that the engine is running and it’s ok for the unit to connect your starter and leisure batteries together. In the absence of this you can use an ignition live instead.

Not sure why you’ve chosen the Shauldt unit. Maybe take a look at a Redarc or CTEK battery to battery charger. I didn’t think T5.1 had a smart alternator nor regenerative braking so a split charge relay should charge your leisure batteries adequately.

As @Deaky said.

2014 T5.1 . . . . . You sure it has stop/start?

I thought that started in 2016?

Either was its always better to run a B2B vs a SCR.

It looks as though that unit is primarily designed to interface with a Shaudt Electrobloc although it can be used on its own. It will operate completely independently from the other equipment you have. It will only charge your starter battery if the boost switch is set to on and you have connected your mains charger to it. The D+ signal indicates that the engine is running and it’s ok for the unit to connect your starter and leisure batteries together. In the absence of this you can use an ignition live instead.

Not sure why you’ve chosen the Shauldt unit. Maybe take a look at a Redarc or CTEK battery to battery charger. I didn’t think T5.1 had a smart alternator nor regenerative braking so a split charge relay should charge your leisure batteries adequately.

Appreciate the input Deaky

The Shauldt was chosen on the basis of it’s robustness compared to most others on the market according to a couple of people on other forums :oops: who have repaired motohome/campervan electrics for many years for a living. And on the basis of their test results using this unit, unfortunately I can’t re-find these results now!

I must say I really do like the look of the Redcare units, just been browsing the BCDC1240D which apparently will accept solar if I want to add it in the future, and the green power priority looks flippin good if it does as they say. I would probably be sold on this immediately if:

a) I could find pics of the inside circuitry, particular the main feed from the starter battery and output to the leisure batteries, as I have read this is often a weak point in battery to battery chargers.
b) Being Australian can’t seem to find much in the way of reviewers over here

Last edited:
I didn’t think T5.1 had a smart alternator nor regenerative braking so a split charge relay should charge your leisure batteries adequately.

As @Deaky said.

2014 T5.1 . . . . . You sure it has stop/start?

I thought that started in 2016?

Either was its always better to run a B2B vs a SCR.

Thanks muchly Dellmassive

Stop/start I definitely have - due to the fact if I forget to press a button on the dash the blimmin thing goes off at the lights :mad:

A trade supplier/installer (who I think might post here sometimes) suggested I definitely have a smart alternator based only on the shunt in the pic I have now attached. He didn't seem to find significant the fact that I drove down dual carriageways with a cig plug in the 12v socket with a multimeter at the end and the volts never veered from exactly 14.18 once!

However after much reading I came to the same conclusion as you, that a B2B is always going to be a better option anyway and I want the maximum I can get from driving from one stop to another.

Shunt_Pic.jpeg

I see there is also a BCDC1250D Deaky. Do you (or others) think this is worth considering in my circumstances or is 50A over the 40A pointless?

Additionally do any others have any experience of actually fitting any of the Redarc B2B chargers or experience of them in any way and their robustness? And I have noticed (after reading Dellmassive’s "how I Done It") that the Redarc units don’t seem to have temperature probes like many do, should this be a concern?

On a slightly different subject it might be that I dreamt this but I seem to remember seeing somewhere that Bosch are soon bringing out a 105ah versions of the LFD90. Anyone know anything about this?

Back