Help with Insurance

@bullock thats insane! your completely right about postcode, insurance is all based on stats. When i moved from my parents in the midlands to south wales my insurance on my vw polo doubled simply with a different postcode, went from 350ish to 700! Even with an extra year NCD!

I stored my cozzy at my mates house in Warrington and the premium halved.
My postcode isn’t the best OL
Oldham

Just about to move to NFU - £335. Previously Saga, but they weren't competitive when I wanted to add 2 of my (grown up) children.

Its def worth the effort to shop around. When I did earlier this year, the range was from an insane £1800, to what I ended up paying with LV at just under £250.

to go the other end of the spectrum
got quoted 320 for a 2018 sportline kombi.
so god knows who decides prices?
I've got a feeling its the same monkeys that operate the m60 motorway, with endless speed limit changes

I can’t believe it.
Just about to pull the pin and buy a kombi.
Got the wife on side and everything,
Then what happens
Insurance came back at 1300 quid.
The wife has said no way,
I pay 400 for my Ford Edge sport,

Has anyone had the same problem.
I’m there in buying the dam thing.
Only this could happen to me
Had insurance with LV wouldn't insure my new 6.1 classed as 6 seater
I can’t believe it.
Just about to pull the pin and buy a kombi.
Got the wife on side and everything,
Then what happens
Insurance came back at 1300 quid.
The wife has said no way,
I pay 400 for my Ford Edge sport,

Has anyone had the same problem.
I’m there in buying the dam thing.
Only this could happen to me
Had insurance with AXA, day i picked up my new 6.1 they wouldn't insure it as being classed as 6 seater!!, sat in my new Kombi and frustratingly counted 5 seat belts to lady on phone , gave up in the end, went for VW free drive away insurance just to get home, ended up staying with them, give them a try not only £120 per year cheaper than AXA but fixed price 2 years, I'm paying £334 fully comp,my post code may help...lincolnshire

I got some good quotes from all comparison sites. No no-claims for motor homes, many came back under £300. Unfortunately went with Grove and Dean the night before collecting my van. Despite accepting my money a slash page came on "cancel now and you have to pay "etc etc. I knew what was coming. So, email in the morning, "phone us or you have no insurance. MAKES YOU PHONE, Really awful aggressive agent (to the wife as I was on a train to collect the van) basically bombarding her with you can't do this, you can't do that, any changes cost this much, on and on. End up with them boosting the price towards £500.Regretably she paid.
Spoke to several other providers since who all will insure my van for <£300. I'm switching now, I'll lose £200+ to Grove and Dean but I don't want to have to battle some smart -ass estate agent type should we need to call upon the insurance. Just know these "follow-up calls" are taught to staff and they have their performance assessed by how much they can inflate a quote be. BE WARNED if they are coming up on comparison sites.Other insurers who quoted based on the info contained in the online application DO NOT require further info, so hopefully they don't try to inflate your price.

I got some good quotes from all comparison sites. No no-claims for motor homes, many came back under £300. Unfortunately went with Grove and Dean the night before collecting my van. Despite accepting my money a slash page came on "cancel now and you have to pay "etc etc. I knew what was coming. So, email in the morning, "phone us or you have no insurance. MAKES YOU PHONE, Really awful aggressive agent (to the wife as I was on a train to collect the van) basically bombarding her with you can't do this, you can't do that, any changes cost this much, on and on. End up with them boosting the price towards £500.Regretably she paid.
Spoke to several other providers since who all will insure my van for <£300. I'm switching now, I'll lose £200+ to Grove and Dean but I don't want to have to battle some smart -ass estate agent type should we need to call upon the insurance. Just know these "follow-up calls" are taught to staff and they have their performance assessed by how much they can inflate a quote be. BE WARNED if they are coming up on comparison sites.Other insurers who quoted based on the info contained in the online application DO NOT require further info, so hopefully they don't try to inflate your price.
I’ve always believed you have a right to cancel insurance?

14 day cooling off period according to citizen’s advice

Had bog standard sportline with direct line for many years for £210 with protected no claims but when I purchased a new 6.1 199 4 motion and mentioned that I was fitting b14 komfort, new wheels, h&r arbs etc they wouldn’t insure a modified van but went with Sterling van insurance for £465

I’m with Admiral…..declared the Konis, H&Rs, new wheels, sidebars (I declare everything, even a broken fingernail!) and no premium loading!

Hi @JOG what do you pay and for what kind of van ?
I have a T6 California Beach 150 Beach. SWMBO has a Mini Clubman and we have a multi car policy (including business use) as we flip who uses which car depending on what’s happening! I’d need to dig out the premium cost and will PM you.

Only drawback is that I lost the right to drive another car with 3rd party insurance as my van is a “motor home”! No, I can’t explain that either!!!

I have a T6 California Beach 150 Beach. SWMBO has a Mini Clubman and we have a multi car policy (including business use) as we flip who uses which car depending on what’s happening! I’d need to dig out the premium cost and will PM you.

Only drawback is that I lost the right to drive another car with 3rd party insurance as my van is a “motor home”! No, I can’t explain that either!!!
Ok thanks @JOG there isn’t many cars that you would probably want to drive 3rd party anymore

Ok thanks @JOG there isn’t many cars that you would probably want to drive 3rd party anymore
Actually, it’s bit of a blessing in disguise now…..”Sorry mate, I can’t drive your car home - I’m not insured!”

Was with Aviva on the last T6 with basic mods declared, then they insured my standard Mini JCW, and I then transferred the current policy to my new T6 Kombi on Tuesday for ease when I collected it and as the Kombi was standard there was no issue - even got a refund due to the T6 being cheaper to insure than the JCW.

Today I contacted Aviva to request a quote based on installing some mods (specifically 20" alloys and lowered coilover suspension) and they wouldn't insure it.

So I tried LV, Admiral and Directline - none of them would insure those mods :confused:

Then I tried A-Plan and Brentacre who both obviously had no issue with the mods and the price wasn't that far off what I was paying Aviva for the Kombi with no mods.

Brentacre beat A-Plan by about 70 quid on this occasion - might be different for you.

Insurance co's do seem to be a law unto themselves. We have a multi-car policy from a well known nautical themed insurer, covering me, Mrs Disturbed and no.1 son. I recently added a Subaru Impreza STI to the fleet which cost the princely sum of £700 for all three of us to drive - a figure that absolutely floored me as no.1 son is 20 and only been driving 18 months.

With our policy son can only drive his car and the Subaru, whereas my wife & I can drive all. When the T6 arrived - a standard 150ps Caravelle - I thought I'd update the policy so the boy had access to the T6 as well - all the details entered into the portal, waited a few minutes and nearly fell on the floor when it came back with a quote of £5600 o_O.

Suffice to say, he'll have to make do without it :)

Back