Help with diesel heater exhaust v gas drop out location

Blizzard

Hi,
This is my first post on the forum, so before I jump into my question, I should mention that this is also my first attempt at a full camper conversion to my T6 T28 bamboo garden green 12 month old van.
As the title suggests I am fitting an Eberspächer diesel heater under the van in the standard position, I would like to finish the exhaust underneath the van next to the engine exhaust, as VW do with their factory installed heaters, but I am concerned that diesel fumes might get inside the van at night through the gas drop out vents.
If I run the exhaust to the sill on the drivers side, the drop out vents are just above this area and the fumes could get in also.
It would be really helpful to hear people’s advice/experiences with where to finish the exhaust.
Thanks.

I've always fitted Eberspachers (three T5s & a T6) with the exhaust exiting into the centre as VW do and yes the exhaust can be smelt inside via the drop out vents occasionally but it has never been a problem for us even with the heater running all night. I guess that there is normally some breeze blowing under the van to disperse the exhaust gasses.
I don't know what drop out vents there are on a California but I would expect there to be at least one under the cooker area so they must experience the same as you often hear of Cail owners speak of an occasional exhaust smell.

Hi,
This is my first post on the forum, so before I jump into my question, I should mention that this is also my first attempt at a full camper conversion to my T6 T28 bamboo garden green 12 month old van.
As the title suggests I am fitting an Eberspächer diesel heater under the van in the standard position, I would like to finish the exhaust underneath the van next to the engine exhaust, as VW do with their factory installed heaters, but I am concerned that diesel fumes might get inside the van at night through the gas drop out vents.
If I run the exhaust to the sill on the drivers side, the drop out vents are just above this area and the fumes could get in also.
It would be really helpful to hear people’s advice/experiences with where to finish the exhaust.
Thanks.
No need to run exhaust so far back, the standard kit wont have enough exhaust pipe anyway and as you say, you will run the risk of back draught exhaust fumes. Just end it in middle (ish) of van and you will be fine. Good luck.

Ian :thumbsup::thumbsup:

No need to run exhaust so far back, the standard kit wont have enough exhaust pipe anyway and as you say, you will run the risk of back draught exhaust fumes. Just end it in middle (ish) of van and you will be fine. Good luck.

Ian :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Hi, thanks for your reply, just to be clear, by middle do you mean, finish the exhaust were the engine exhaust is down the centre line of the van, and not run it to the sill?

I've always fitted Eberspachers (three T5s & a T6) with the exhaust exiting into the centre as VW do and yes the exhaust can be smelt inside via the drop out vents occasionally but it has never been a problem for us even with the heater running all night. I guess that there is normally some breeze blowing under the van to disperse the exhaust gasses.
I don't know what drop out vents there are on a California but I would expect there to be at least one under the cooker area so they must experience the same as you often hear of Cail owners speak of an occasional exhaust smell.
Hi, thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate your experience with having done 4 conversions, I guess it comes down to how much breeze there is,to get rid of the exhaust fumes.

As @Eclipse Campers says end it in the centre of the vehicle pointing back towards the main exhaust silencer. That way it will work OK both when the vehicle is stationary or when driving. When handling the flexible stainless pipe be aware that it is VERY sharp at the cut ends, your kit should have come with a protective sleeve for the outer end.

Have fun,

Rod.

Hi, thanks for your reply, just to be clear, by middle do you mean, finish the exhaust were the engine exhaust is down the centre line of the van, and not run it to the sill?

Not in the sill. The exhaust gets very hot (obviously), so keep away from anything that can melt. Angle outlet towards rear downwards and make sure it is exhausting to free air, not behind a panel. The protective sleeve as @rod_vw mentions is a debris guard to stop crap going up the exhaust so make sure you fit that also.
Cheers,
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back