Will 255/55/18 fit on a lowered van?

Thatratman

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Does any have or know if a 255 55 18 will fit on a t6? I feel the 255 45 just doesn't quite fill the arches.
Set up is 9j all round and ET35 lowered 40-50mm. Looking at buying the pilot sport 4 SUV.
Theres various threads about 255/55 18 but they're all regarding AT tyres and mostly standard height vans.
Cheers

Hi
Those will certainly fill up the arches; the tyre diameter is 48mm larger than the standard 215/60/17's so will reduce the gap by 24mm.
Also on those wheels the additional poke over standard will be 46mm so with lowering you might have arch clearance issues, but others will know that better...
And your gearing change will be 7%, so I reckon you'll notice that on poorer acceleration as well as speedo reading will be lower than actual...

Aiming for arch fill and comfort, I've gone for 255/50 R18 on 8" ET43 wheels, this is based on achieving the same diameter and wheel position as Tourershine's experience on 255/45 on 19 x 8.5" ET45 with no clearance issues.

I got some decent 106 load rated Bridgstone in this size (OE on a Merc SUV I think)
Sadly I can't send a pic as not on the van yet.... still waiting for the full set of wheels after many problems getting ATS wheels over from Germany... I ordered these in Feb!!!

try www.willtheyfit.com or I can send you my excel version which allows you to compare up to 4 variants.

Brown (Dashed) = 215/60 R17x7 ET56 (OE)
Blue (Dash Dot Dot) = 255/45 R19x8.5 ET45 (Tourershine, no rubbing at -30mm)
Green (Dash Dot) = 255/50 R18x8 ET43 (My choice)
Black (Solid) = 255/55 R18x9 ET35 (your suggestion)

RED solid line = hub face position

IanScreenshot 2021-07-04 at 10.06.16.png

Hi
Those will certainly fill up the arches; the tyre diameter is 48mm larger than the standard 215/60/17's so will reduce the gap by 24mm.
Also on those wheels the additional poke over standard will be 46mm so with lowering you might have arch clearance issues, but others will know that better...
And your gearing change will be 7%, so I reckon you'll notice that on poorer acceleration as well as speedo reading will be lower than actual...

Aiming for arch fill and comfort, I've gone for 255/50 R18 on 8" ET43 wheels, this is based on achieving the same diameter and wheel position as Tourershine's experience on 255/45 on 19 x 8.5" ET45 with no clearance issues.

I got some decent 106 load rated Bridgstone in this size (OE on a Merc SUV I think)
Sadly I can't send a pic as not on the van yet.... still waiting for the full set of wheels after many problems getting ATS wheels over from Germany... I ordered these in Feb!!!

try www.willtheyfit.com or I can send you my excel version which allows you to compare up to 4 variants.

Brown (Dashed) = 215/60 R17x7 ET56 (OE)
Blue (Dash Dot Dot) = 255/45 R19x8.5 ET45 (Tourershine, no rubbing at -30mm)
Green (Dash Dot) = 255/50 R18x8 ET43 (My choice)
Black (Solid) = 255/55 R18x9 ET35 (your suggestion)

RED solid line = hub face position

IanView attachment 122185

Amazing response, thank you!!
After hours upon hours of research, your help and flicking through will they fit etc, I've decided to go for a 255 50 rather than a 55. As you suggested, a 50 will be fine and it is the exact same ratio as my current 255 45 19's!

Amazing response, thank you!!
After hours upon hours of research, your help and flicking through will they fit etc, I've decided to go for a 255 50 rather than a 55. As you suggested, a 50 will be fine and it is the exact same ratio as my current 255 45 19's!
I finally got my wheels on...
A quick test drive had the Speedo now 1moh above a gps unit and the ride is great, really soaks up the shitty road surfaces and steering response is great.
Let us know how you get on with yours.
Here are some pics...
I reckon I got the offset just right
56353707-1B79-4CEE-8C45-DB18941F7860.jpeg

E4C84382-9884-464A-8DD7-E94BCDDAE04D.jpeg

DC04B676-B4E6-4CDC-828B-BA5F841F77B5.jpeg

Looks great; def got presence! How much is it lowered?
Mine is booked in for air next week... then it should finally sit right.
Ideally I’d have gone for 8.5” wide, but just loved those wheels. I was thinking I might end up with a spacer on the rear, maybe 10mm.
I’m aiming for a sort of “limo” look & wanted the wheels to look like something that might have been fitted by VW.
Cheers

Thanks @Rids! I'm not sure to be honest, I keep adjusting it to get it perfect, I'd say approx 60mm.
Make sure you post some pics once you've got the air fitted!

I am currently on the hunt for some new tyres to go on my sportline 18s. Currently have 255/45/R18 tyres on.

I would like to go for a bigger sidewall to hopefully soak up potholes and bad road surfaces in the highlands.

What we think 255/50/R18 or could push to 255/55/R18?

Currently also on sportline 30mm dropped springs.

Have you guys noticed a difference with the bigger tyres?

Cheers

Stevie

I am currently on the hunt for some new tyres to go on my sportline 18s. Currently have 255/45/R18 tyres on.

I would like to go for a bigger sidewall to hopefully soak up potholes and bad road surfaces in the highlands.

Cheers

Stevie
Hi Stevie
The 255/50 18’s are working a treat on mine. I can only compare the OE 215/60 17’s all seasons it came with but they soak up the crap road surfaces way better.
The gearing change is just noticeable on acceleration but feels nicer in the lower gears as I’m not in such a rush to get changed up. The Speedo now reads almost spot on in comparison to a gps. The turn in & steering is just as sharp, if not even better.
Haven’t found a down side yet, but still only done a few hundred miles on them.
My wheels are 18x8 same as sportlines, so the tyres have a “full” sidewall... (the opposite of a stretch) which I like and def protects the rims from a close encounter with a kerb.
There is however not much choice of tyyres.,. 2 with with >103 load rating if your in a T32...
Ian

What a van mate. Stunning. It just works!
Thanks a lot mate!

Cheers

Stevie
I'd also second going for 255/50

Thanks, I'm well pleased.
So where are you on tyre pressures?
I'm currently trying 45F 40R on an empty T32 4Motion
Over the last 2 weeks I’ve varied from 35 - 48. I’ve now settled on 40f 36r. I think it depends on the tyre too and how stiff the sidewall is etc

@Rids what tyres did you go for?
I went for the Bridgestone T005, they are 106 XL, so same as the Hankooks I think.

Just doing some research and will share on here when its done...
But it's quite surprising that the load capacity of XL tyres does not get any higher above 42psi...
And for the 106's its 875kg (i.e. a fully loaded T32!) at 38 psi...

So I think you're in the right ball park, maybe even still a bit high if you've not much weight on....

What do you think to the Bridgestones? I’m considering changing my tyres to 235 55’s as they bulge a little too much and with the offset ready being low they stick out a little too much for my liking.
That’s really interesting about the psi and load rating! I’ve found that anything any lower than 38 on the front feels too soft when pushing it round corners Abs the tyres also start to squeal

I like the T005’s, I also have them on my MX5 too.
Personally I don’t like a stretched tyre look and do like a bulge, & reckon it does make the ride smoother, I’ve done it on several cars over the years.
I also like that the wheels are quite protected from minor kerb misjudgements.
I don’t really push mine hard and haven’t been close to any tyre squeal (yet..) but I feel really confident in the front end on turning in. I’m next to the Peak District so often out on the country lanes.
Based solely on the load rating of the tyres the recommended pressures would 37psi for a fully loaded T32 and something like 24psi for an empty van... which seems ridiculously low, so I def need to go through that again!

Back