help to find old tv ad

tram

Engineer
T6 Pro
Can you remember a tv ad for, i think, kp peanuts, i'm fairly certain it was kp nuts, and it was two trains side by side, a western train with all the people in colour and having a party to music of, billy idol, i think, and next to it alongside there was a soviet train in black and white and the people were sobbing and really miserable.

We have looked really hard, but we cant find it at all, which is a bit weird that it sort of seems to have been censored out, perhaps. Makes me wonder.

But can you remember the ad, and perhaps you can find it?

It was about the era of this one, so maybe 70s or 80s

Last edited:
I remember it. I think the song was Rebel Yell and deff KP advert. The search begins.

Andrew, I think it was Rebel Yell, too, in fact i am sure of it. The advert kept cutting between the two contrasting situations for great effect. It was the Cold War then, before 1989, and so it was quite a powerful and effecting piece of propaganda. The political situation with the Russian block is warmer these days. I am wondering if it has been censored out, which would be the first real thing of definate censorship that i have come across, knowingly for sure. There is no way that such a popular advert would not be able to be brought up by a search. I was a media student, so this has a special interest for me. I will be very interested to hear how you get on, andrew.

I think these are the details of it, but, if it is, it is the only scrap of a trace I can find.

Title
K.P. NUTS - "MORE, MORE, MORE"
Year
Distributor(s)
McCormick Publicis
Classified date(s)
26/10/1987
Main language
English
Submitted run time
0m 50s
Approved footage
75+0
BBFC reference
AAF134010
Registration number
CTB07669

But girlfriend says she thinks she has seen this and there is no trace of a train, it is just people dancing. So I'm not sure just what this is.

You’re right it’s the KP More more more advert. Somewhere in my memory I think you’re right about the train but trying to remember 1987 is not that easy anymore.

My wife has no recollection however I certainly remember it via the song.

I’ll keep looking however it seems odd that it’s just not waiting on YouTube.

Andrew, thank you for confirming the same search result as myself. It is very odd. But it was a very powerful and effecting film. Once you see it you can't help but think of eastern block countries as it portrayed them, but now these countries are in the European sphere and the push is to get them westernized. Hence, as the film is counter to that goal it has been 'vanished' good and proper. This will not be the only such removal for that goal. But how interesting to be able to know that there is a hidden force at work influencing our thoughts and ideas.....to THAT extent, an old throwaway tv commercial.

@tram Wow. I was interested to see the footage of the ad you did post. A Lena rip off of lucky number. Oh it takes me back. Wasn't that the start of stiff records ?

Carlos, they were great days. Stiff records was great, but must have been started in the early 70s. It was a great time to be growing up.

OMG ! The opening bars of that track and suddenly memories come flooding back of hair gel, tartan bondage trousers, dm boots and me and my underage mates crammed in clubs. You're right. What a great time. Hadn't thought about that or heard that song in decades. Thank you :)

Maybe my conspiracy theory that the nut ad has been censored is wrong and that it just isn't there. I say this because I have not been able to find the jelly tots advert I remember, and I can't imagine why that would be censored.

It used to go something like, " Rowntrees Tots, please yourself, three to choose from along the shelf. There's candy tots, your favourite treat, teddy tots with lots and lots for you to eat, tiger tots de dum de dum, jelly tots de de de de". Something like that, and really good characters seen singing in a band, I think, animated.

Definitely widespread censorship going on; I’ve seen it on BBC news articles many times; a story appears, suddenly it’s gone.

No, it is just suspended until further enquiries have been made. It would not be proper to comment on an ongoing investigation at this stage.

No, it is just suspended until further enquiries have been made. It would not be proper to comment on an ongoing investigation at this stage.

I believe we have a thing called “free speech” in this country?
We can say what we want as long as it’s not libellous.

but the onus is on you to prove it isn't libellous, allegedly, in my opinion. :)

I mean, i can't say lobbying is basically bribery, or can I? I take that all back and totally retract in full what I have just written. :)

I was attempting to agree with you by being sarcastic about how they dress it all up what you say about stories disappearing, etc, and also that I believe there is free speech but as long as you are not really saying anything/not being right on the money. Take the tale of the boy who used his free speech to say the king has no clothes on, The Emperor's New Clothes, well I wonder what happened to that boy.

Thinking about it, it is ambit like a radio presenter i listen to, and maybe his way of discussing things and making a point, has rubbed off on me a bit. Nick Abbot on LBC on Fri and sat, 10pm till 1am.

Last edited:
I was attempting to agree with you by being sarcastic about how they dress it all up what you say about stories disappearing, etc, and also that I believe there is free speech but as long as you are not really saying anything/not being right on the money. Take the tale of the boy who used his free speech to say the king has no clothes on, The Emperor's New Clothes, well I wonder what happened to that boy.

Have you heard of the Whoosh Parrot? I think that is appropriate. Apologies - I totally misinterpreted it!!

No, I'd never heard of whoosh parrot, but looked it up. Respect for asking me to clarify. It's easy to get crossed wires, especially when I maybe don't think enough about how I could be interpreted. Not your fault.

Here's a laugh regarding crossed wires. Listen to the presenter whilst he's trying to work out what is going on. He's all at sea, like he's trying to read the time on a clock face which the hands have come off and are floating about all over the clock face.

Can you remember a tv ad for, i think, kp peanuts, i'm fairly certain it was kp nuts, and it was two trains side by side, a western train with all the people in colour and having a party to music of, billy idol, i think, and next to it alongside there was a soviet train in black and white and the people were sobbing and really miserable.

We have looked really hard, but we cant find it at all, which is a bit weird that it sort of seems to have been censored out, perhaps. Makes me wonder.

But can you remember the ad, and perhaps you can find it?

It was about the era of this one, so maybe 70s or 80s

Hi
I saw your post while looking for the same advert prompted by listening to Billy Idol on the radio. I found this on YouTube and it's just as your girlfriend describes. I also thought it was on a train so maybe there were two ads although I doubt it. I definitely remember the dark haired girl moving along on her hands and knees shaking the bag of nuts in her mouth which I thought kinda hot when I first saw it all that time ago.

Hi
I saw your post while looking for the same advert prompted by listening to Billy Idol on the radio. I found this on YouTube and it's just as your girlfriend describes. I also thought it was on a train so maybe there were two ads although I doubt it. I definitely remember the dark haired girl moving along on her hands and knees shaking the bag of nuts in her mouth which I thought kinda hot when I first saw it all that time ago.

THANK YOU - I have been looking for this for AGES - no one believed me that it existed hahahahaha

Back