Help please - will these Defender wheels fit?

Dave Jennings

VIP Member
Hi everyone,

Had a quick search but can't see specific info, soooo

Currently running Nexen 255/35 ZR20 97Y 's, but fed up with punctures / cracked wheels on these delightful Scottish roads.

Considering putting 18" Defender wheels on, these are currently fitted with Goodyear 255/70R18 116H ATV tyres.

First, should these be a straight swap and second, I assume this will knock the speedo readings out? Can this be recalibrated, or is it close enough not to bother about?

I did check on willtheyfit.com but I'm still not sure. Pic / results for attention, ta.

tyres.jpg

Ta, thought as much. Dagnab it :) My search for decent 18" steel wheels continues. Should the wheels be OK though, if I were to replace with tyres the same profile as existing?
If you do a search a few people on here have fitted Defender steels. There are quite a few posts about them.

Thanks @Skyliner33 . I'll make sure to read some more. My mate has a set of new Defender wheels, might be tempted to get them and wallop on 235's, taking advice from the tyre fella on best profile etc then.

I'll buy some. I have plastic bolt covers on atm and OEM centers but don't really go. I should have gone with the LR ones from the start. GLWTS if you put them up.

Hello,
Does anyone know if the Land Rover Defender Steels fit over the larger front calipers of t32? Thanks in advance

You'll need to fettle the LR bolt covers a little but you can get the VW centres to fit too...20220428_105920.jpg

Cheers bud.
Got some left hand biased tin snips and took off about 8mm all round. The bias was perfect to match the radius of the cap.
1st one took about 40 minutes then the other 3 10 minutes in total.
The nut captures on the back of the cap will benefit from a squeeze of sika just to make sure they stay on. They did hold without it but just to be sure. They pop off easily when you need them off.

Cheers bud.
Got some left hand biased tin snips and took off about 8mm all round. The bias was perfect to match the radius of the cap.
1st one took about 40 minutes then the other 3 10 minutes in total.
The nut captures on the back of the cap will benefit from a squeeze of sika just to make sure they stay on. They did hold without it but just to be sure. They pop off easily when you need them off.
Awesome, thanks for the reply!

Back