Help on HiLo roof in shuttle

T6newbie

With apologies I’ve posted this in the new member area also.

Hi - I’m getting my hands on very nice lwb t6 shuttle in the next couple of weeks and would welcome any help and advice from members.

The plan is a nice day van with an elevating roof and a exploria bed or similar. HiLo looks good. My question - Can anyone recommend a fitter (or fitters get I touch) who has plenty of experience fitting a HiLo to the shuttle and retaining the a/c panels in the roof? Cheers

A shuttle roof is no different to any other t6 roof, your best bet is googling for conversion companies close to you that fit these types of roofs. Good luck sounds exciting

VanDoc are midlands. They get good reviews. Dean from VanDoc is a user on here so I’m sure will be able to discuss your needs.
@Dean@VanDoc.
Hilo roofs are also a member so should be able to point you in the direction of nearby fitters to you. Don’t know if they’d tell you which ones are better than others........
@HiLo Roofs

Be worth instigating a private message with both of them to discuss your requirements.

Be interested how you get on with your day van, as this is what my plans are. I already have the Exploria Kombi Bed, but as to whether i’ll ever be able to afford the Hilo that I want, is another matter entirely.

I looked into this for my LWB Shuttle too. I've got a deposit down on a similar design of roof to the Hilo. Its getting fitted next month. Apparently there is a ducting and wiring kit that allows installers to reposition the vents around the pop top when the original roof is taken out. Seems the kit is about £250. Hopefully be able to post pictures of the interior roof layout by Christmas, if that's any help.

I looked into this for my LWB Shuttle too. I've got a deposit down on a similar design of roof to the Hilo. Its getting fitted next month. Apparently there is a ducting and wiring kit that allows installers to reposition the vents around the pop top when the original roof is taken out. Seems the kit is about £250. Hopefully be able to post pictures of the interior roof layout by Christmas, if that's any help.
How did you get on? Just researching the options for my LWB shuttle at the moment. Ta

Hi @Mairy. I did a fair bit of research into getting a Hilo. I was kindly given some recommendations from @Hilo as to who to contact. I went through the list and tried a few others too. Some just wouldn't touch a shuttle because of the more complex roof vent fittings and shape of the head lining. Others wanted over £6000 for fitting, which is well above the RRP.

I saw the Low Life Stealth at Busfest and it ticked the boxes for what I require. I liked some of its features too. Spoke with the guys several times now and they seem to be making the right noises, alleviating my concerns about the newness of the design. They also told me that they have recently fitted a roof to a shuttle, so know what's involved. So it's a bit of a calculated risk but mines going to get a Stealth pop top at the end if this month.

Maybe try a few more Hilo fitters in your area. You may have better luck than I did. If your considering a Low Life, once my Stealths fitted, I'll stick a post on.

Last edited:
Cheers @Dieseldonkey. The nearest said they’ve never done a shuttle before, so I think I’ll let them try it out on someone else’s life savings. Another gave me some confidence that they knew what they were taking about with a/c vents, lights etc. and what now looks to be a competitive quote after seeing some of yours. We’re just north of Manchester btw.

I did ask another place about a stealth roof (before any research) but they said no to a LWB. Not sure if this is common, otherwise I’d be keen to have a look. I also asked what height are you’d be getting at the back but didn’t peruse at as they’d already said no. What are the fixings like on it too, 4 bolts for Hilo don’t seem ideal...
Dilemmas, dilemmas!

Mines a LWB and the Stealth is now available for it. The rear hinges are scissor type, so I understand that they provide the extended height at the rear. The bed base is three quater hinged also, so doesn't impede on the height aspect.

As part of a role I once had in my previous job, I examined many collision damaged vehicles and the injuries sustained by the vehicles occupants. Having that experience, flagged a concern about the bolt system your referring to @Mairy. Namley, the consequences of a potential head strike against the front securing bolts, in the event of a collision. The stealth roof has two southco type locks under the sun visors. These don't protrude down into the cabin like bolts and are almost flush with the roof lining.

Maybe enquire again direct with Low Life, if the Stealth is still on your options list. Ask for Gary. Im sure they'd let you look at one fitted.

I'll fire up some pictures and my thoughts hopefully early next month for you once the fits complete.

Hi @hilo.

I did think about the generic risks of replacing the tin top with any brand pop top roof.

I was confident in the remaining and indeed added structural integrity of a well engineered product like the Hilo.

The performance of the material used to manufacture a roof skin on any pop top roof was of more concern. Whether it's carbon fibre, GRP or alternative blend or combination of plastic laminate. Would it be subject to loading whereby it would shatter or fail, leading to razor sharp edges entering the cabin.

If you study the NCAP crash test footage of the T5, you can see an induced shock wave travelling along the roof skin. The elastic limit of the steel isn't reached and it pretty much returns to is manufactured pressed form. Would material used for the roof behave in the same fashion without failing and the risk of sending sharp edges down into the cabin.

You can also see the A pillar and door frame flex. There would come a point at a higher speed or with greater load where that structure is most likely to fold as it absorbed the kenetic energy from behind. The floorpan on vans can often be pushed upwards as there higher centre of gravity makes them ride up over lower cars. This can move the occupants head towards the roof line.

However, whether we realise it or not, as drivers we take risks with our safety on a daily basis. Everytime we pass an oncoming vehicle on an A road, we're 6 to 8 feet away from potential death every time. Consider how many cars we pass daily. I'll add to that, that I'm a road cyclist, mountain biker, motorcyclist and snow boarder so not averse to risk by any means. In addition, I'm planning to install furniture in the van most likely made of plywood! I'm sure that won't crash too well.

So would the securing bolt put me off the purchase of the Hilo. No. The bolt was the only thing that I wasn't keen on but it certainly didn't put me off a purchase.

But I know, each time I looked at it in front of me, I'd get flash backs to deformed A pillars and crushed roofs that I've witnessed over the years with the resulting injuries to people, fatal or otherwise that people have suffered.

While I commend the work NCAP does wholeheartedly, as far as im aware, it didn't crash test the T5 into a 10-12 inch diameter tree. It doesn't roll it down a motorway embankment. Or slide on its side along the tarmac into a bollard. It didnt crash it head on into another van or wall of similar height. My point being that 64kph into a deformable object is not always what happens in the real world.

Just my opinion here, but M1 pull testing has it's place and is certainly worthwhile. But there is much more to 'Crash' testing than analysing the performance of the B pillar.

Airbags and seatbelts are essential bits of safety kit. The NCAP video shows how effective they are but despite these, by far the most common fatal injury I've seen in a vehicle, is from the lower rim of the steering wheel being pushed into the chest. Not every collision will result in the head going forward into a soft airbag. Especially where there is secondary impacts. Very often, components and parts of a vehicle will come to you rather than you going to them. It's all relative of course. In collisions where millimetres can make the difference between life and death, I just think there is a better, safer solution to having the bolt infront of your scalp.

However, It may well be just me that thinks like that, given things I've encounted in days gone by. May not be the issue for everyone. Certainly the Hilo seems to be popular and well liked by many. Like I said before, I was quite taken by it myself. My post above was written in response to @Mairy post where there was mention of the bolts.

Wow. I hadn’t check this thread for a while. To help those looking for a pop top solution on a shuttle whilst retaining the main rear air con unit I, in the end, went with Custom Camper Solutions and the austop roof. Impressed by the roof and really impressed by the quality of the install and trimming from the guys at CCS I really struggled to get any timely quotes from companies wanting to tackle a shuttle. CCS just delivered. I’m fussy and I’m more than happy. Additional cost from CCS for the retaining of the rear air con was sensible compared with the ballpark figures I was quoted in calls to others. Photos on their FB pages.

Is it just me or does the name 'Low Life' for a company put you off? Just something I noticed whilst reading the thread. :cautious:

Hey everyone . newbie here and I have just purchased a t6 2016 shuttle . already booked in for a poptop in November 2018 but really want to keep aircon and heating controls .it's an austops roof that's going on with bed but the installer is tryn to work out a way to keep controls .a notice there was talk off a kit to do this ,has anyone managed to get hold off the kit and eny pics of the finished product would be great thanks
Sean

Hi mine was the same van with the same roof. custom camper solutions fitted my austop and retained the rear heating vents and controls. Might be worth getting austop to share the knowledge with your fitter. They took loads of photos. Thanks

Back