help needed please. Previous additional switch to switch leds in rear.

Robst6travels

VIP Member
I brought this van second hand and it’s a 2017 factory kombi. It’s been lined in the back with 10 led lights in the roof . They’ve fitted a switch to the top of the n/s pillar (picture) but the switch doesn’t do anything? Any ideas?

FA7336E3-8126-48BC-ABBC-91AFF88E2224.jpeg

What's not working?... the lights?

Did the switch work before?

More details will help .

Whatever the case may be first thing to do is check powers and grounds.

Start with a multimeter.

Sorry, the lights are on regardless of the switch position.
They go on and off when you lock and unlock etc,

when we sleep in the van if you open any door it all lights up. Would like ideally to able to manually switch these on and off and function with the doors.

Remove the brown/red wire from the switch. Connect the black wire from the lights in its place. They will now switch from the switch and not the doors. They’ll stay on until the BCM times them out. Between 20-60 mins depending on your van. This time can be changed using VCDS.

If you want them to function with the doors as well you need to replace the switch with a 3 position one.

Would that have to be a double pole switch? Live and earth from van and live and earth from leisure battery?
You never mentioned leisure battery. Looking at your photo, your lights are not powered by your leisure battery at the moment.

Heres what you need to do.

Disconnect the red/black wire and tape it up. Connect a new cable from the red wire on your LED’s to a new fused connection at your leisure battery.
Get a new 3 position switch (ON/OFF/ON). Connect the black wire from your LED”s to the common pin on the switch. Connect the brown and the brown/red wires to the other pins on the switch.

Job done. You’ll now have, on constantly, on with the doors and off.

Last edited:
That’s great, il get a new switch ordered. I’m only now fitting leisure battery etc. So the picture was of the current setup. Will get it all wired up as above.

really appreciate your help thanks.

Right as per above post,

I’ve got a Similar switch on the b pillar for the same function...

On position......step light comes on with side door open (bcm timer) and switches on my aftermarket led strip above door too and times out.

Off position....only the step light comes on via the bcm timer.

Got a diode fitted in the switch to prevent back feed from leisure battery and comfort circuit (bcm timer)

Back