Help me decide please!

Leane Owen

hello all,
I've hear you a friendly group and I'd really appreciate your advice.
Been wanting a T5 / T6 for some time now and would like your help pinning down the spec.
It would be for private use and would be intending to buy right first time so as to keep it long term. No budget set as yet. We have a great golf that we will keep as daily driver but the T5/T6 may become the daily driver when the golf dies (its X reg)
T5/T6 intended for:
Days out with bicycles
Camping - would want a full width bed no sink, some storage and a fridge only, pop top roof. Decent rear seats.
Comfort dash I hear is a must
Also hear that T32 a bit of a "hard ride"
Power assisted sliding door - hear this is also a must!
Less van like and more car like would be great so slightly lowered and some styling on exterior.
Decent sat nav needed.
Heated seats with lumbar support is a must.
Leaning towards DSG gearbox.
Colour not important although preference is for bamboo green, black, dark blue.
I think a SWB as I'm a girl and really..... think the husband would be frightened of me driving a LWB to the shops!
Some rear windows
Should I go for a kombi first then convert interior? Husband is great at DIY and a joiner so no problem fitting a bespoke interior.
Thanks for your advice!

Hi there @Leane Owen, great to have some more Girly’s on here that love their vans as much as us guys do.
Sounds like you have a really good starting set of ideas.
If your plan is to do a full camper conversion then a panel van may be a better base line. The reason being is that many folk (me included) have found the VW kombi van side windows have a tendency to leak. Aftermarket converter windows seem to not have this same problem.
The VW Discover media head unit has a reasonable sat nav map system.
I wouldn’t say that the T32 suspension is any harder than any other. Based upon many a members feedback changing it for something like the B14 makes a phenomenal difference. If you don’t want to go to that sort of cost you can get it lowered by VW on 30mm Eibach springs.
Having a T32 myself, if you don’t need the weight carrying capacity go go a T30. It’ll give you plenty of capacity for a camper conversion if that’s your plan, and you’ll have a much wider set of options when it comes to after market wheels if that is something you may like to do.
Heated seats is an option on a T6.
Power operated doors is also an option.

Good luck.

My Cali Beach is more like what you need so you could base the spect on somthing similar Would not say the Comfort dash was a must. I like the one I have . Not sure about power doors but would say you need power latching. I don't like the media sat nave so use a Tomtom. As for the box it depends on if you want an auto or maual. My beach is based on the T30 and works fine for me

Thank you everyone for helping me compile a list. Hoping to find a low mileage used T6 with as close to the spec we want rather than forking out for a brand new one. Interesting advice about converting a panel van. I hear I will need to stick to lower speed limits though!! How about tax on panel versus kombi?
Thanks again.

Thank you everyone for helping me compile a list. Hoping to find a low mileage used T6 with as close to the spec we want rather than forking out for a brand new one. Interesting advice about converting a panel van. I hear I will need to stick to lower speed limits though!! How about tax on panel versus kombi?
Thanks again.
I have a Kombi and have to stick to lower speed limits as my mass in service exceeds the magic figure. If you get your van converted you can send pictures of to the DVLA to have them change the designation to camper, and hey presto, instant uplift to the maximum permissible speeds. The fact it is the same van with the same brakes seems to have nothing to do with it in their eyes!

If you get your van converted you can send pictures of to the DVLA to have them change the designation to camper, and hey presto, instant uplift to the maximum permissible speeds
Not sure it would work for them without a fixed table and cooking facilities ?

The california beach does sound like it would fit your needs (but maybe not your budget and hard to find second hand) already has pop top and full width rear bed/seats ?

Not sure it would work for them without a fixed table and cooking facilities ?
Agree. It's a funny one as the Cali Beach is classed as a campervan, but if you converted a panel van to the same spec as a Cali Beach the DVLA wouldn't accept it was a campervan.

You can’t have a comfort dash in a panel van

Hi L,
You'll not regret a T6 whatever you get, you get accosted by passing strangers to admire the van or just enthusiastic waves from fellow VW owners. Just to throw a curve ball in. I had a multivan rail system fitted and managed to score a set of 4 individual seats, so can go from an empty van to any where up to a six seater. You can buy pods to add a cooker or sink or table or porta loo, rock n roll bed. A Caravelle would have suited but I wanted rear barn doors and don't regret my choice everytime I put something in the back. So I guess what I'm saying is think long and hard how you will use it every day and be aware of all the options, just helped my son and his mate move in to a flat and the van was tops!. There are many pop tops all with their pro's n cons. If you are not sleeping up top a HiLo roof is probs best(still good if you do) LED headlights best. H7 headlights great. H4's appauling, but can be upgraded to H7 easily, but not upgraded to LED without selling both kidneys. Do ask if you want anymore info or pics of upgraded bits from me or anyone as we are a fantastic bunch of people. You will never meet a better bunch of fanatics!

If the Must Haves in your desired spec really are Must Haves, then you will be looking a long time for a decent used T6. Factory order your best bet. Try Bognor Motors and see what they have.

If you can afford it go new, don’t look at the prices on the Configurator go to a dealer. You may be surprised, I was then you’ll end up with what you want. There is nothing like specing one up & waiting. I would say LEDs F&R, Comfort Dash, Electric Mirrors & I added the Front Reversing Sensors as only Rear comes on Highline. You’ll struggle to get a good match ex-demo. Dealers seem to love the Sportsline Bodykits rather than the sensible practical options. It’s easier & cheaper adding the bodykit later.

If you can afford it go new, don’t look at the prices on the Configurator go to a dealer. You may be surprised, I was then you’ll end up with what you want. There is nothing like specing one up & waiting. I would say LEDs F&R, Comfort Dash, Electric Mirrors & I added the Front Reversing Sensors as only Rear comes on Highline. You’ll struggle to get a good match ex-demo. Dealers seem to love the Sportsline Bodykits rather than the sensible practical options. It’s easier & cheaper adding the bodykit later.

I agree, the dealers throw on the sportline kit to help move on low specced vans, that’s what I’ve seen anyway

Led lights are amazing really surprised me how good they are and it was comments on here that made me add them to my must have list and as above today is my second day of ownership and bigger grin today

Back