DPF blocked due to low fuel

I'm just a regular driver and have had no advice as to how to manage this DPF....
Best of luck with chasing VW, the warning about running with less than a 1/4 tank of fuel is in the Owners Handbook.

Best of luck with chasing VW, the warning about running with less than a 1/4 tank of fuel is in the Owners Handbook.
I'd always read it was the 1/4 mark, but according to that manual extract above, it is only when the Reserve warning light comes on. Is that 1/4?

Does the light come on at 1/8 Mark?

Personally I only ever fill the tank to the top and then run it fully empty and then fill it to the top again.

but I do know that running running below a quarter of a tank Mark was supposed to stop the regens ?

I'm not sure if I ever read that in the user manual or if it was on a small card from the dealer or at one point they had stickers on the windscreen.

20230209_144533.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Defo no card from the main dealer or any stickers in the windscreen with my brand new van that I picked up on Feb 14th 2022

Thanks. I mean i had been fuelling a little here and there and it in all honesty has been topped up at prob a quarter of a tank at a time. However its over half now after reading it deep inside the manual that regen won't happen under a 1/4 tank and the advice on here.

The soot levels are 40 g.
I've been advised to scream and shout at vw uk...so that's the plan currently.. I'm just a regular driver and have had no advice as to how to manage this DPF....

It seems a shocker to me and I am left wondering how many other people like me are out there with new van and dpf issues ?
Regarding the DPF not doing a re-gen under quarter of a tank of fuel... mine has done one whilst the level is just above where the re-fuel light comes on. As the handbook shot shows, it should do this up to the point of the lamp illuminating for low fuel.

Reactions: CAB
i picked this up from the dealer a while ago . .

prob a few years back now. . .

1675959568956.png

1675959596078.png

an this was the windscreen sticker they were giving out. . .

1675959628925.png

Very good to know I've certainly not had any of this advice or seen these documents ! Thanks for sharing this invaluable info

The book of knowledge . . . 2015 edition. - doesnt mention anything? ( but it was brand new to the T6 back then)

1675963880903.png
1675963814375.png1675963867962.png

+++++++++++++++++++

@Pauly @Loz - any chance of an updated T6 user guide?

and a T6.1 User guide?

for the download section?

+++++++++++++++++++

Last edited:
Has anyone ever tried a halfords £85 dpf flush..probably clutching at straws but worth asking...!!

Screenshot_20230209_184347_Samsung Internet.jpg

If that's a fuel additive I'd doubt it would do much?

Has anyone ever tried a halfords £85 dpf flush..probably clutching at straws but worth asking...!!

View attachment 187653
If carbon was so easy to dissolve there would be far less issues with power plant in general.
The only reliable method with an enclosed unit like a DPF is to push it back the way it came in - remove and back flush.

Evening all,
I am having the same problem here. When you say contact VW directly is that Customer care or is there a better number to use?
I've spoken with customer care today and got nowhere. Had same response as GazGringe, the VW van center hasn't even spoken to to the warranty department .
cheers

Hi there. In the interests of support and as this forum has helped me and having been through the dpf issue I would say that you need to go back to the vw van center you purchased it from (its its new as mine was) and scream from the rooftops. Also raise a complaint with vw head office AND KEEP CALLING THEM until they realise you are not going away. - this took many many phone calls and lots of stress. In my view they take the line that 90% of people give up and then they only need to sort out the other 10%.
there will be a case manager who will negotiate with the main dealer and hopefully come to the right conclusion and will do it under warranty.

Being not very mechancially minded I have now learned that you must not let it dip below a quarter of a tank (look in the manual - its buried somewhere on page 200 odd?) and then after someone who i trust advised me never to use supermarket fuel....(i now only use the best diesel. No one on here told me that either and also give it a good run.
DPF is a real worry for me as I do plenty of short journeys....
Good luck and hope you get the answers AND OUTCOME you wish for.

Hi all,
Just to conclude things here. I didn't really get anywhere with this.
I couldn't prove the dpf light never came on in the first instance to warn us the dpf was full and ultimately the all in one warranty does state in the small print that is doesn't cover dpf and I couldn't get round this.
Our story was a bit more complicated than @Benji46 as it was an all in one warranty - not factory and that the AA attended, and I still believe gave us the wrong advise that led to the dpf having to be replaced.
I logged a complaint with the AA, but there was no come back on the fact that, when the AA patrol couldn't complete the re gen process he advised my wife to do an 'Italian' tune up - which ultimately blocked the dpf further .
I logged complaint with financial services over why it wasn't being covered by warranty, as I had been led to believe that below a certain soot value the dpf is covered - plus examples on here where it has been. They just read the small print at me and interestingly the guy I dealt with said that with all the exclusions the all in one warranty was pretty useless.
The whole process took 5 months and so many calls and emails that at the end of the day I just have drawn a line under it. I couldn't face another call to VW customer we don't care.

The key things I've learnt from the process is.
Replacing a dpf is eye wateringly expensive. The bill was £2600. Eventfully I got it done for £1300 and offered the equivalent of £350 in servicing as compensation just to make me go away.
So it doesn't happen again I have installed a switched OBD port extension with a Carista dongle attached. I really recommend doing this. I use VAGdpf specifically to monitor the dpf soot level. I didn't know monitor apps existed until I started researching on here - unfortunately a dpf too late!
By watching VAGdpf like a hawk I have learnt that my van regens at 30g of soot as I believe most do now. This equates to approx only 180 miles. which isn't that much and sod's law means it normal ties in with just pulling up on the drive after a long trip.
The other important thing i have learnt is that there is no passive regen.ie driving at high revs on the motorway isn't going to kick start the process and lower the soot level - it only allows it to happen when the magical 30g of soot is registered.
And finally I make sure its above 1/4 tank of fuel when its close to the 30g mark. Im pretty sure this was what caused the initial problem, but am still unclear whether a minimum fuel requirement has been resolved with a software update now?
Anyway hope something here is useful to avoid someone learning the hard way as I have.

cheers

more info:

Back