Help, broken down in France

The Ham

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I drove 800 miles right down through France no probs, used van next day with no issues, following day clutch pedal flat to floor. Local mechanic says slave cylinder and prob cost about €2000 as clutch and flywheel needs to be replaced at same time, thoght this about right as similar price in uk. He said too big a job for him so went to VW at Perpignan who said they are happy to look and fix if we want. we then get an email stating €900 to remove/replace gearbox to access clutch which we thought about right as once parts added it would come to maybe €2500 ish.
They have now sent an estimate of €4074 to fix/replace the parts needed.
After getting back up off the floor I had a large coffee.
Anyways, whilst looking at the Estimate it looks like they are charging for 2 'Disq. Embr.' which I take to be clutch discs as embrayage is clutch.

my van, Euro5 140 stop start kombi Manual

Question 1,
Do I have 2 clutch discs?

Question 2,
If no to above then are there any any other parts in the list that I dont need?

Questin 3
Is there anyone on here with greater knowledge than me that can tell from the estimate, below, if I am getting ripped off.?

Attachments

• clutch replacement scala perpignan.pdf
    896.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Do you have any breakdown cover that you can contact for advice ?

Pete

When you replace a clutch there are usually 3 parts - release/thrust bearing, pressure plate and friction plate. This last part is like a disc.

I’d say flywheel is optional though dual mass flywheels can and do fail - I’d probably have it changed it while in there.

The two clutches thing doesn’t look right to me, if you Google the part number you get similar to below- definitely question it

A2293F9C-2B56-4109-8A70-C2FEF26C70C3.png

Could you ask for a quote for the work from your local uk dealer to compare the part numbers maybe?

To change the subject slightly; where are you staying in Perpignan, we go to canet plage a lot as my parents have a place there but decided to skip it this year and do something different on the west coast

Not brave…. Daft!
16 days full AA cover is circa £150 - repairs up to £1500 and hire car/van and payment for return to France to collect vehicle once repaired and overnight accommodation!
Ask me how I know this!
I have yearly Aa euro cover, it recovered the van to Vw and is covering the cost of the hire car. They would take it back to uk if we wanted.
The fault happened outside our house and as we are here for another 3 weeks thought it would be easier for us to get it repaired here. I was expecting it to cost more but, not this crazy amount.

I wonder of something has been lost in translation. For instance, 'DUAL' mass flywheel might be translated as 'double' in French.
Just a thought.

03L105266BC
flywheel
£552.22

0A5141671R
release bearing
£49.06

7E0721401F
master cylinder
£73.78

03L141015B
Clutch plate and pressure plate
£309.56

7E0411317A
connecting link
£61.91
Thanks for that #Pauly so I’m assuming that one clutch =one connecting link?
Also would it be a different flywheel for a single clutch model?
They’re charging €1000+ vat for the flywheel?

Last edited:
Could you ask for a quote for the work from your local uk dealer to compare the part numbers maybe?

To change the subject slightly; where are you staying in Perpignan, we go to canet plage a lot as my parents have a place there but decided to skip it this year and do something different on the west coast
We have a house further south near the border in a village near Ceret.

Have you checked brake fluid level in the reservoir? The clutch takes its fluid from the corner of the brake reservoir.
It may be possible to bleed the clutch through with some new fluid and get enough pedal back to last the return journey. Slave cylinder bleed needs gear lever to be in a certain place to access it through wheel arch area.

Have you checked brake fluid level in the reservoir? The clutch takes its fluid from the corner of the brake reservoir.
It may be possible to bleed the clutch through with some new fluid and get enough pedal back to last the return journey. Slave cylinder bleed needs gear lever to be in a certain place to access it through wheel arch area.
Reservoir was half empty, put more in but no difference, when we dropped the belly pan it was full of fluid.

I had a similar issue on my Fiat Ducato. The clutch was flat to the floor. Recovered to a garage who confirmed master cylinder (gearbox out). Although the pedal was dead it did come back with continuous pumping, and I mean continuous. First by hand and the when a little resistance was felt with my foot, back in the seat. We made it back to the Uk and home pumping every minute and stopping as little as possible. Cost of repair was just under £1k. Worth a try?

I mean slave cyl.

Last edited:
Happened to my t5.1 140hp before i part ex it, cost me £1399inc with dual mass and clutch same time as 70k.
That was garage where my mate works and was a tech for VW.
Did have to pump pedal and left with toe for week before they could book in !

Back