Help! Body Roll

TeresaE

T6 Pro
Hi, Any of you guys have advice on how I can deal with the feeling of our van seeming to be leaning over when I drive. It’s getting to the point where I dread driving the van.
Hubby doesn’t have a problem with it and thinks if I drive the van enough I will get used to it......
Please....sensible answers only, I love driving usually.
We have 20” alloys, would smaller wheels help?
Thanks

If your talking about body roll in corners then ARBs (anti roll bars) will probably be the answer
H&R do a set of uprated ARBs for T6s and are the most popular, have a search on the forum and you will find plenty of info and opinions on them
The other option is lowering the van by fitting shorter stiffer suspension springs, this has a firming effect on the suspension overall but is not practical for all vehicles especially if its a camper and you drive off road on fields/campsites and need to keep maximum ground clearance

If your talking about body roll in corners then ARBs (anti roll bars) will probably be the answer
H&R do a set of uprated ARBs for T6s and are the most popular, have a search on the forum and you will find plenty of info and opinions on them
The other option is lowering the van by fitting shorter stiffer suspension springs, this has a firming effect on the suspension overall but is not practical for all vehicles especially if its a camper and you drive off road on fields/campsites and need to keep maximum ground clearance
Hi Pauly, thanks. Yes it is mainly when cornering but sometimes feels as if it’s going to roll over on a straight bit of road, dependant on the camber of the road.

I only asked as your comment about straight roads worried me a bit !

Our van is a standard T30 converted to a camper, so it is probably a bit top heavy. Suspension/wheels/tyres are completely untouched.

To me it handles well for a van, but it definitely leans a bit in corners, and is a bit vague when pushed. Definitely doesn't fell like it is going to fall over though.

I think you just need to get used to it - it is probably a combination of softer, longer travel suspension, combined with the exaggerated effect of being higher. For what it is worth, my daily drivers are a Fiesta and an Audi TT.

Pete

I should have added - ages ago I used to drive a Renault 6 - now that car leaned o_O

Pete

I should have added - ages ago I used to drive a Renault 6 - now that car leaned o_O

Pete
Many moons ago I had a Renault 4 ( I took it in part x and smoked it for a few weeks). It never went fast enough to lean but occasionally if you hit a roundabout a bit too quick it was very scary. :eek:

Unfortunately it just sounds like a characteristic of a van compared to your usual car. A suspension change will help hugely to stiffen the ride and reduce body roll but it isn't cheap. It would be worth driving it a fair bit more to get used to the feeling. Happy travels

I know exactly where your coming from. My lwb shuttle is the same and im running 17s at the moment. Im going down the B14 and H&R ARBs route.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, really appreciate it. I’ll keep driving it around our local area. And hubby is going to look into fitting ARB. :)

Best combination is H&R ARB’s with B14 suspension.
Hello DaveyB
looking to do the H&R ARB s with b14 next month
And valare 20 inch alloys 8.5 j fronts and 10 j back
This is my daily drive would the ride be too hard .
I am very new to all this and spending this kind of money don't want to do it wrong I want to fill the arches and get the nice look but don't want any
wheel rubbing what are your thoughts on this
Do you have any photos of your t6
Many thanks

@TeresaE With you saying about it being a touch lively on some straight roads I'd be getting the wheel geometry checked out. If for example the front wheels are toeing out it will initiate a turn quickly which will then load up the suspension and most likely give a more exaggerated lean. It'll be affected more by camber changes too and unfortunately with the power steering you don't get true feedback to the steering wheel to feel the effort you are using to keep the vehicle driving straight. Also make sure that everything in the back of the van is tied down and as low to the floor as possible......ideally right between the front and rear axles. You don't want any moving loads like a full 25 litre water container affecting the centre of gravity on every corner (I'm fairly sure you'll already have this under control though).

Assuming the geometry is good and you're not running Chinese hedge finder tyres, Pauly's suggestion of uprated ARBs is what I would do next. Another thought would be to fit T32 springs and dampers (assuming yours is a T30 or lower) which you'll pick up cheaply from places that do conversions on brand new vehicles. The likes of Leighton vans must have skips full of brand new OE springs and shocks. Just check how the bottom of the front damper mounts as there are two different types.

@fezza68 Just changing from 17s to 18s will make a huge improvement to how your shuttle drives. On standard 17s my van felt like the front tyres were tucking under on corners and going to 18s with 255/45s (again not some Chinese ditch finders) gave a much more stable front end.

Sometimes we need to be realistic and recognise that we are driving vans/combis/shuttles and despite reading owners reports that T6s handle better than cars once fitted with wider tyres or lowered by a few mm, in reality the laws of physics mean that is highly unlikely unless comparing to a Renault 4, Citroen 2CV or my 1966 LandRover!

Hello DaveyB
looking to do the H&R ARB s with b14 next month
And valare 20 inch alloys 8.5 j fronts and 10 j back
This is my daily drive would the ride be too hard .
I am very new to all this and spending this kind of money don't want to do it wrong I want to fill the arches and get the nice look but don't want any
wheel rubbing what are your thoughts on this
Do you have any photos of your t6
Many thanks
The B14’s are super smooth, and having had the van on 30mm Eibach springs on standard struts previously, the difference is night and day. I found the lowering springs made for a “crashy” ride that was not overly comfortable. The B14’s on their own do a lot to eliminate body roll (but that could be because I have them wound right down as well), but there is a little bit that can still be felt, but it is 80% better than standard suspension. I have not got H&R ARB’s yet, but it is a route I intend to go, just because I want a very planted car like feel. Everyone who has both ARB’s and B14’s say it is top notch.
I run 18” rims currently which aids the comfiness of the ride. A 20” tyre is always going to leave you feeling more bumps in the road simply because there is less cushioning effect produced by the sidewall with it being far narrower.
It really is down to personal choice as to the look you are aiming for as to whether you go 18/ 19/ or 20 inch rims. Just be prepared to compromise a little bit of comfort with bigger rims and elastic band tyres. As to rubbing, it’ll be down to a combination of wheel choice, getting the correct sized tyre (more an issue if you have a T32), your ride height, coupled with the offset of the rim.
There are a huge number of threads and posts about wheels and tyres and offsets. Have a browse of those and it may help answer a few of your questions as well.
886F715E-7AC1-4691-9980-1DABDFBD3D82.jpeg

8C1DBF36-1440-4833-B0F9-7381A729CA88.jpeg

I've got my 18s waiting to go on, im waiting for thq to get the B14 solows in stock then its a ride over to thq to have them and the ARBs fitted. As you say its never gonna handle like a go kart but the kit I've just mentioned transforms the handling. Cant wait.

The B14’s are super smooth, and having had the van on 30mm Eibach springs on standard struts previously, the difference is night and day. I found the lowering springs made for a “crashy” ride that was not overly comfortable. The B14’s on their own do a lot to eliminate body roll (but that could be because I have them wound right down as well), but there is a little bit that can still be felt, but it is 80% better than standard suspension. I have not got H&R ARB’s yet, but it is a route I intend to go, just because I want a very planted car like feel. Everyone who has both ARB’s and B14’s say it is top notch.
I run 18” rims currently which aids the comfiness of the ride. A 20” tyre is always going to leave you feeling more bumps in the road simply because there is less cushioning effect produced by the sidewall with it being far narrower.
It really is down to personal choice as to the look you are aiming for as to whether you go 18/ 19/ or 20 inch rims. Just be prepared to compromise a little bit of comfort with bigger rims and elastic band tyres. As to rubbing, it’ll be down to a combination of wheel choice, getting the correct sized tyre (more an issue if you have a T32), your ride height, coupled with the offset of the rim.
There are a huge number of threads and posts about wheels and tyres and offsets. Have a browse of those and it may help answer a few of your questions as well.
View attachment 37610

View attachment 37611
Thank you daveyB for your reply that's a great help think I will stick to getting some 18.

I've got standard T32 springs, dampers and 215/60r17 tyres just now. Van has the weight of a full camper conversion in it.

Fitted H&R ARB's, set to their stiffest setting. (Drop link in hole closest to torsion bar). It brought a transformation in terms of reduced body roll. Makes the van so much more enjoyable to drive on the twistees. If I thought it was a mod not worth doing, I'd have no hesitation in saying it's not worth it. But in my case, if I could go back and do it all again, it would be one if the first modifications on my to do list.

@TeresaE With you saying about it being a touch lively on some straight roads I'd be getting the wheel geometry checked out. If for example the front wheels are toeing out it will initiate a turn quickly which will then load up the suspension and most likely give a more exaggerated lean. It'll be affected more by camber changes too and unfortunately with the power steering you don't get true feedback to the steering wheel to feel the effort you are using to keep the vehicle driving straight. Also make sure that everything in the back of the van is tied down and as low to the floor as possible......ideally right between the front and rear axles. You don't want any moving loads like a full 25 litre water container affecting the centre of gravity on every corner (I'm fairly sure you'll already have this under control though).

Assuming the geometry is good and you're not running Chinese hedge finder tyres, Pauly's suggestion of uprated ARBs is what I would do next. Another thought would be to fit T32 springs and dampers (assuming yours is a T30 or lower) which you'll pick up cheaply from places that do conversions on brand new vehicles. The likes of Leighton vans must have skips full of brand new OE springs and shocks. Just check how the bottom of the front damper mounts as there are two different types.

@fezza68 Just changing from 17s to 18s will make a huge improvement to how your shuttle drives. On standard 17s my van felt like the front tyres were tucking under on corners and going to 18s with 255/45s (again not some Chinese ditch finders) gave a much more stable front end.

Sometimes we need to be realistic and recognise that we are driving vans/combis/shuttles and despite reading owners reports that T6s handle better than cars once fitted with wider tyres or lowered by a few mm, in reality the laws of physics mean that is highly unlikely unless comparing to a Renault 4, Citroen 2CV or my 1966 LandRover!

Wise words, there. I'd start with a geometry check first. It's the cheapest & gives you a level playing field to start from. If the driving experience is no different, then modifying the components is the next stage. It may simply be that it needs getting used to, but as above, that 'skittishness' on a straight road rings a warning bell for me..

Good luck & keep us informed..!

Hi
Can I check something re the B14 and ARB route as I’m really keen to get this done. I drive the van empty most time and my T32 204 with standard 17 Devonports rolls so badly. being under warranty still I was considering the dealer lowering and 18” sportline wheels / tyres.

But having read this forum the B14 ARB route sounds ideal. What is approx cost for this set up ? I’m down in Kent.

Also is is ok to still tow caravan with this set up?

Back