Help/ advise with some trim removal please :D

chrismatheson

Hi, hoping some helpful folks here can tell me if this heating control panel (the rear area lower one) is easily removable? i ahve some trim tools and gave it a try but got worried about breaking thigns and didnt push it too far. Is this one of those annoying jobs thats gunna end up with me taking the entire dash out ?

tempImageebta0S.jpg

I don’t have that lower heating panel, so I’m not sure if that particular unit is somehow able to slot out without removing the lower dash.

Here’s a video that shows how to get to that section of the dash otherwise:

I also don’t have the controls but will be a quick push fit on the production line.
I’d be 99% certain that a trim tool pushed in on one of the lower corners will pop it out along with the knobs. There should then be enough space to disconnect the wires if needed (take a photo and don’t create a short circuit).

Thanks for the input here folks :) appreciated!

I’m looking to replace the 12v socket with a voltmeter/usb charger. Are there 12V sockets that are definitely easier to remove? I’ve got a T6 California so there are a fair few sockets kicking about

Thanks for the input here folks :) appreciated!

I’m looking to replace the 12v socket with a voltmeter/usb charger. Are there 12V sockets that are definitely easier to remove? I’ve got a T6 California so there are a fair few sockets kicking about
You can get a plug in combined voltmeter / USB charger, plenty of options on ebay / amazon. I chose this method as it can be unplugged to avoid a bright light when trying to sleep (camper) and there is no current draw when the van isn’t in use.

So.... little trip to the VW garage and the technicians/mechanics in the service dept (one was ex VW Commercial) said its a whole dash out job :(
so, I may well give it a try, seems like overkill I know but I would like the end result to look professional. if I do get round to it ill post back some pics.

Thanks for all the help!

So.... little trip to the VW garage and the technicians/mechanics in the service dept (one was ex VW Commercial) said its a whole dash out job :(
I had to remove my lower dash just now to route some cables, so I snapped a couple pics which might help.

It’s only the lower dash I’ve removed to get access to the back of this. That’s just a bunch of T20 torx bolts and 20-30 mins. It’s all covered in the video in post #2 above :thumbsup:

IMG_2825.jpeg

IMG_2826.jpeg

I realised I could unclip the cigarette lighter and remove this entire section to get you some better pics:

IMG_2831.jpegIMG_2830.jpegIMG_2829.jpegIMG_2828.jpegIMG_2827.jpeg

Back