Help a simpleton. . .

Brindle

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hopefully some of you clever folk will help me with this. We are away this weekend and off grid. I really want to watch the match and so have hatched a plan. I have a 300w pure sine inverter which I plan to (hopefully) run a TV off for the football. The TV specs says if draws an average of 54w so using the 300w inverter via the 12v socket should be fine?? If so, the other consideration is battery drain. I don’t have a leisure battery so it would be drawing from the main battery, would a 54w draw for up to 2 hours kill it, if so would leaving the engine running for a while / the whole time keep things tip top? Pic of the tv specs and inverter specs below

Thanks is advance guys. I really appreciate the advice.

2C5A1D63-D36D-4300-9527-7B6C812A88D7.pngCFD59B9D-B714-4B21-B0B1-AC69BA7BFCBA.png

yes basically. . . . as you say.

The TV will pull 54W from the inverter + 10% for efficiency losses etc.

The inverter can deliver up to 300w. for a direct 12v wired connection. (and 150w from a 12v socket)

The 12v socket can supply enough power for 100w/150w ish. - above 100w the plug will get HOT, above that the 15A fuse will blow.

so . . . .

provided its just the TV @ around 54w connected to the inverter that's plugged into the 12v socket . . . it will run fine.

Just remember that inverters are power hungry . .

50w will pull around 4A or 4Ah

100W will pull around 8-10A or 8/10Ah.

that will flatten a 100Ah leisure battery in 5-12hrs.

(100Ah is effective 50Ah due to DOD.)

50ah / 4ah = 12.5hrs
50ah / 10ah = 5hrs

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --
VIP Membership | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum
For Sale - Summer-weekend-t6f Limited Edition External Stickers
For Sale - T6F Flags

Last edited:
Some rough calcs, here goes.

54w/12w = 4.5ah run for 2 hours = 9ah. Now add 20% for inverter inefficiency and you get just under 11ah total pulled out of the battery which is 70ah at 100% charge.
If your battery isn't new and only charged to 80% then it could be holding only 50ah so your 2 hour draw may take it down to 39ah which is close to the 50% discharge limit for a LA battery.
You should be OK but I'd run the van at half time and full time just to get some charge back in to be safe.

Guys you are my savours! Hugely appreciated the help. Anything mechanical I’m good with, it’s just the electrical side of things I prefer to seek the help of those with far greater knowledge.

Agreed I would run the engine at half time for ten minutes and again after the match just to be safe

Why not have a trial run at home so if you do get a flat battery you’re not stuck in the middle of nowhere!

The match will be over by half time so I wouldn’t worry :waving:
Reminds me of the time watching the 2005 CL final where Liverpool were down 3-0 in Istanbul at half time. We took great pleasure ribbing the red sh1te fans in the pub but that came back to bite us later on. :cautious:

I have a voltage display on one of my USB sockets that’s connected to the ignition. I could check that intermittently, but is there a rule of thumb for the minimum voltage that the battery should be holding before needing a top up by running the engine, or is it not that simple?

Last edited:
if you have no leisure battery . . . and your connecting to the starter battery.

Then your run till will be dramatically reduced. (75/90Ah battery @ 80% SOC with 50% DOD will give you 30ah ish to play with)

i dont think i would let it go bellow 12.0v (off load and resting) - ( though it may only be at 12.2v already)

take a booster pack or jump leads just incase.

also remember a flat battery can take numerous hours to recharge ( depending on the charge rate)

ie:

also take a look at the mobile power packs (with 240v) that are availible.

++

if you have no leisure battery . . . and your connecting to the starter battery.

Then your run till will be dramatically reduced. (75/90Ah battery @ 80% SOC with 50% DOD will give you 30ah ish to play with)

i dont think i would let it go bellow 12.0v (off load and resting) - ( though it may only be at 12.2v already)

take a booster pack or jump leads just incase.

also remember a flat battery can take numerous hours to recharge ( depending on the charge rate)

ie:

also take a look at the mobile power packs (with 240v) that are availible.

++

Thanks Dellmassive, well my plans may have been blown out of the water this morning. The specs of the TV I got from the internet we’re that the Ran at 54w, now I have it in my hands it says it runs at 120w .

Maybe I buy a leisure battery that for this weekend with a view to it being part of a future install under the drivers seat.

just noticed you will be at Campersite this weekend . . . https://www.t6forum.com/calendar/events/camper-site-plus-2nd-4th-july-2021.16/

well be there too . . . . and ill have the NOCO GB150 ready to help any fellow Members.

FYI - there is lots of chat in the whatsapp group about playing the football on a projector and screens and all mad stuff. - are you in the group?
Oh, has the footy been sorted, I've not been in either of the groups for ages and got several hundred posts so dont fancy reading all that :/

I promise this is the last question. If I buy a 95ah agm leisure battery, that should run a 120w tv for a couple of hours via the 300w inverter without discharging the too far? My plan is to the. Use the battery for an install in the van afterwards (I clearly need one living forwards!) so it’s not wasted money! FYI I ran the tv via the inverter off the 12v socket on the dash for 10 mins tonight without issue but of course I know it will quickly eat the starter battery so that’s not the solution

just noticed you will be at Campersite this weekend . . . https://www.t6forum.com/calendar/events/camper-site-plus-2nd-4th-july-2021.16/

well be there too . . . . and ill have the NOCO GB150 ready to help any fellow Members.

FYI - there is lots of chat in the whatsapp group about playing the football on a projector and screens and all mad stuff. - are you in the group?

Indeed, I’ll buy you a beer for the advice you’ve provided on more than I’ve occasion!!

Should pull around 24 amp which is less than half of the battery, so yeah, go for it. Should even manage extra time and penalties but that isn't gonna happen!

Should pull around 24 amp which is less than half of the battery, so yeah, go for it. Should even manage extra time and penalties but that isn't gonna happen!

Brilliant, thanks for that. After all this bloody effort I hope it’s a good game!!!

Did you get by OK? Ended up being a convincing win eh. Expecting a much harder game Wednesday!

Did you get by OK? Ended up being a convincing win eh. Expecting a much harder game Wednesday!
Hi, yes - bloomin great in the end!! Had a 42" tv powered off it and all was good for put little group. I've just put it on charge funnily enough, the voltage was 12.54v before I put the charger on it - so really pleased. Just need to plan installing it properly with a split charger and maybe a solar panel now. Only query I have is that I bought a Yuasa AGM battery as from what I read they can be installed on their side, but there is a label on the battery that says "keep upright"! Thanks again for you help before - really appreciated!!

Back