Hello from Sunderland

Hi @steve3005 - welcome to the forum.

Your starter for 10 should be for you to identify what your needs are and what you'll be using your van for. Once you've shared that info, the good folks on here will be able to contribute their knowledge and experience. :thumbsup:

Hi @steve3005 - welcome to the forum.

Your starter for 10 should be for you to identify what your needs are and what you'll be using your van for. Once you've shared that info, the good folks on here will be able to contribute their knowledge and experience. :thumbsup:
Hi @Bav, thanks for the welcome.

Having read up as much as I can I am edging towards a SWB panel van then going from there, there is an itch that need a scratch though as I am wondering if I would save money by buying a Kombi or even a caravelle and converting that instead. (About 10k difference on the Kombi and circa 15k on the caravelle.

Final plan is wide bed, pop up, slide pod and if possible the ability to remove all 6 seats for van duties.
Main useage I imagine will be 2 adults an a fast growing 13 year old with 3 small dogs.

To throw another spanned in the works I just got back from looking at this LWB which seemed good to me:

My worry is I have no idea of value of each of the many different vans, I guess I am going to have to just dive in and hope for the best!

Any advice most appreciated.

I've put together a list of questions. It's not exhaustive and some questions may not be relevant, but your answers will help to paint a picture for members on how you intend to use your van and, with that, advice can follow.
  • Will the van be a daily drive or a weekend/holiday leisure vehicle?
  • How often will "van duties" be required?
  • Is the size and/or number of of occupants likely to increase?
  • Are you looking for a day van, a weekender or full-fat camper?
  • Do you anticipate using the van for short breaks, long-stays (single destination) or touring?
  • Are you looking to camp off-grid or are you happy to use EHUs?
  • Are you happy to cook in your van, or are you looking to do BBQs/ bugger off to pub for food?
  • Will you camp out of season or in cold climates?
  • At home, will the van be parked on the street, in driveway or in the garage? Is space tight?
  • Will you be towing a caravan or a trailer?
  • How likely are you to drive off-road on green lanes, camp sites, boat slipways, muddy fields, beaches, etc?
  • What leisure equipment do you need to carry (e.g. cycles, surfboards/bodyboards/SUPs, boats/canoes, fishing tackle, ski equipment, beach paraphernalia)?
  • What's your budget?
  • Do you need to access city centres (ULEZ constraints)?

Hi all, just popped in to say hello.

I am in the process of trying to decide what van is best for my needs and struggling badly.

Any and all advice most appreciated.
Welcome this is a great place for advice and I'm sure the forum members will give the advice that sets you on the correct T6 or 6.1 journey.

I've put together a list of questions. It's not exhaustive and some questions may not be relevant, but your answers will help to paint a picture for members on how you intend to use your van and, with that, advice can follow.
  • Do you anticipate using the van for short breaks, long-stays (single destination) or touring?
  • Are you happy to cook in your van, or are you looking to do BBQs/ bugger off to pub for food?
  • At home, will the van be parked on the street, in driveway or in the garage? Is space tight?
  • How likely are you to drive off-road on green lanes, camp sites, boat slipways, muddy fields, beaches, etc?
  • What leisure equipment do you need to carry (e.g. cycles, surfboards/bodyboards/SUPs, boats/canoes, fishing tackle, ski equipment, beach paraphernalia)?
  • What's your budget?
Thanks @Bav for taking the time to help, it is much appreciated.

Response below:

I don't have a daily drive at the moment as I work from home 75% of the time, that said it would be good to be able to use it for supermarket runs etc.
Predominantly I would say it will be used as a leisure vehicle.
Not that often now I think about it, probably a few times a year for tip runs.
I would imagine the majority of the time 2 adults and a teenager, worse case scenario will be full family of 4 adults and a teenager, I don't foresee it to be often but would be nice to have that option to travel together, happy to take a tent for the overspill.
I would say a weekender, I am not too fussed about running water and cooking facilities inside the van, I would be happy with a slide pod scenario and more space to sit around a table and sleeping area.
A mixture of all if we get the bug, short breaks will be the majority of the useable initially though.
I like the idea of the off grid option, I figure it can save me a few quid long term and we have the option of just wandering around, stealth camping when needed.
I dont want to cook in the van, happy with the pub or at the back of the van or even a BBQ point.
Yes
Mixture of on street and garage when wife’s not charging her car.
No plans to
Not likely at all until I get confident what we are doing!
A few cycles on occasions, and maybe a canoe.
  • What's your budget?
I was hoping to get something (Automatic) useable with a inflatable mattress and current camping kit for in the region of 30k, then as funds allow upgrade.
No

Thanks @Bav for taking the time to help, it is much appreciated.

Response below:

I don't have a daily drive at the moment as I work from home 75% of the time, that said it would be good to be able to use it for supermarket runs etc.
Predominantly I would say it will be used as a leisure vehicle.
Not that often now I think about it, probably a few times a year for tip runs.
I would imagine the majority of the time 2 adults and a teenager, worse case scenario will be full family of 4 adults and a teenager, I don't foresee it to be often but would be nice to have that option to travel together, happy to take a tent for the overspill.
I would say a weekender, I am not too fussed about running water and cooking facilities inside the van, I would be happy with a slide pod scenario and more space to sit around a table and sleeping area.
A mixture of all if we get the bug, short breaks will be the majority of the useable initially though.
I like the idea of the off grid option, I figure it can save me a few quid long term and we have the option of just wandering around, stealth camping when needed.
I dont want to cook in the van, happy with the pub or at the back of the van or even a BBQ point.
Yes
Mixture of on street and garage when wife’s not charging her car.
No plans to
Not likely at all until I get confident what we are doing!
A few cycles on occasions, and maybe a canoe.
  • What's your budget?
I was hoping to get something (Automatic) useable with a inflatable mattress and current camping kit for in the region of 30k, then as funds allow upgrade.
No
I hope you aren't expecting me to have all the answers - as you'll be sorely disappointed :D - but, from your responses, it strikes me that you don't need a 4-motion van, nor a van with all the Euro 6 gubbins (with all their associated problems). The lack of these could free-up funds to spend elsewhere, if that's what you want (as, of course, unneeded doesn't necessarily equate to undesired).

With 2 adults, a teen and 3 dogs, I would recommend a LWB - there's precious little room in a SWB when in bed mode and using a tent may not always be practical on short trips and trips out of season.

I like the idea of a slidepod, but have no idea if they're easy to remove. Either way, I wouldn't rush to compromise your memory maker for a 3-monthly visit to the tip. ;)

Hopefully others will be along shortly to add their thoughts. :thumbsup:

Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:
I hope you aren't expecting me to have all the answers - as you'll be sorely disappointed :D - but, from you're responses, it strikes me that you don't need a 4-motion van, nor a van with all the Euro 6 gubbins (with all their associated problems). The lack of these could free-up funds to spend elsewhere, if that's what you want (as, of course, unneeded doesn't necessarily equate to undesired).

With 2 adults, a teen and 3 dogs, I would recommend a LWB - there's precious little room in a SWB when in bed mode and using a tent may not always be practical on short trips and trips out of season.

I like the idea of a slidepod, but have no idea if they're easy to remove. Either way, I wouldn't rush to compromise your memory maker for a 3-monthly visit to the tip. ;)

Hopefully others will be along shortly to add their thoughts. :thumbsup:

Good luck and enjoy.
Thanks @Bav.
Although I agree probably not needed, the 4 motion van I looked at seemed reasonably priced and more importantly local and available now.
I think, I may go take another look today and dive in.

Reactions: Bav
Thanks @Bav.
Although I agree probably not needed, the 4 motion van I looked at seemed reasonably priced and more importantly local and available now.
I think, I may go take another look today and dive in.
Yeah, availability is a big consideration currently.

One other thing that struck me related to your canoe. If you intend to carry this on the roof, you need to choose your pop-top carefully - some are roof-rail compatible, others not, and carrying capacities can vary widely.

Yeah, availability is a big consideration currently.

One other thing that struck me related to your canoe. If you intend to carry this on the roof, you need to choose your pop-top carefully - some are roof-rail compatible, others not, and carrying capacities can vary widely.
Good point, although I don’t even have a canoe yet :D

• Haha
Reactions: Bav
Back