Condensation around oil filler

Shafi

We have just got a 2018 , t32 ,204, with 20k on her. She has been serviced in February at 15k.
There seems to be a fair amount of condensation on the oil filler cap and some frothy residue around the filler neck, I have cleaned it off about 4 times and it keeps on returning. The coolant level does not seem to be dropping. I have heard that the egr is water cooled, and also the turbo intercooler, which are common faults on these , could that cause the condensation?
Just wondered if anyone has had similar issue or is it normal?
Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: CAB
Hi @Shafi … 99% certain it’s condensation…the Norfolk roads aren’t fast and long so no doubt you do a lot of stop/starting and the 204 engine like to run warm ..so this time of year on the cool nights the engine cools quick and we get that emulsified crap in the filler neck ..try to avoid short journeys ..longer runs help the oil get hot and help reduce water vapour ….but if you monitor your fluids and all ok ..it can only be the engine not being warm enough to burn off any trapped moisture…the 204 is a work horse and mine like to be driven :)

ps ..I change my oil every year regardless and use good fuel

pps.. there is some discussion that keeping your fuel tank topped up can help with condensation forming in the tank…and that some fuel additives can help …do a bit of research...but it’s all not an exact sceince

Last edited:
Hi @Shafi … 99% certain it’s condensation…the Norfolk roads aren’t fast and long so no doubt you do a lot of stop/starting and the 204 engine like to run warm ..so this time of year on the cool nights the engine cools quick and we get that emulsified crap in the filler neck ..try to avoid short journeys ..longer runs help the oil get hot and help reduce water vapour ….but if you monitor your fluids and all ok ..it can only be the engine not being warm enough to burn off any trapped moisture…the 204 is a work horse and mine like to be driven :)

ps ..I change my oil every year regardless and use good fuel

pps.. there is some discussion that keeping your fuel tank topped up can help with condensation forming in the tank…and that some fuel additives can help …do a bit of research...but it’s all not an exact sceince
Hi thanks for the explanation, I have only had her since the 23 Sept, picked up from Leicester VW, have been doing long runs and afther every run , seens to have same build up of froth in the filler neck and condensation on cap . I will do an oil change soon and monitor it. Thanks for your advise.
With reference to the fuel, I totally agree, always keep it topped up, I look at it as the less fuel in the tank, the more air with moisture in tank.
I have 2 old t4 2.5tdi, both covered 260k, and still going strong, I always keep them topped up with fuel.
Thanks again. Where abouts are you based ? Have you had any issues with yours at all ?
Any common faults I should be aware of ?

Hi thanks for the explanation, I have only had her since the 23 Sept, picked up from Leicester VW, have been doing long runs and afther every run , seens to have same build up of froth in the filler neck and condensation on cap . I will do an oil change soon and monitor it. Thanks for your advise.
With reference to the fuel, I totally agree, always keep it topped up, I look at it as the less fuel in the tank, the more air with moisture in tank.
I have 2 old t4 2.5tdi, both covered 260k, and still going strong, I always keep them topped up with fuel.
Thanks again. Where abouts are you based ? Have you had any issues with yours at all ?
Any common faults I should be aware of ?
Hi….based in Warrington..but lots of my family are Norfolk bred :laugh: … never had a problem With the van ( did have a little sludge on the cap at one point ) but now use. Archoil AR6900-D Max Advanced Diesel Fuel Synthesis as general fuel conditioner…..had an issues with front wheels spinning when pulling away fast but that’s sorted after the DSG was remapped….Generally change filters sooner than VW recommend and I’ve changed all the little filters ( 4 in all ) mines the same year and engine…regarding faults mine was an ex demo ( only had 4 k on the clock) so not used or abused so looked after but other members buy so called good vehicles and inherent faults that VW pass on….but with your mileage your fine ……the only big fault to be aware of …is spending far to much money on it and all that goes with Van life:)

We have just got a 2018 , t32 ,204, with 20k on her. She has been serviced in February at 15k.
There seems to be a fair amount of condensation on the oil filler cap and some frothy residue around the filler neck, I have cleaned it off about 4 times and it keeps on returning. The coolant level does not seem to be dropping. I have heard that the egr is water cooled, and also the turbo intercooler, which are common faults on these , could that cause the condensation?
Just wondered if anyone has had similar issue or is it normal?
Please help.
Thanks in advance.
@Shafi - look at this:

Back